Reload this Page >

Engineering **********

Engineering **********

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:48 pm
DCG
Just Joined

DCG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering **********

Hi, I've had my visa a while but still in UK - 18 months left before I have to be there. I had a job arranged, but it all fell through with the recession.
I am still trying to get a job before I come across - family to support etc.! Can any engineers out there advise me on the state of the job market, what I should expect to earn etc. I am Chartered, mechanical engineer, degree etc. aged 41.
Even visiting uniinformed is very costly, so all leads are welcomed. Thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Engineering **********

Originally Posted by DCG
Hi, I've had my visa a while but still in UK - 18 months left before I have to be there. I had a job arranged, but it all fell through with the recession.
I am still trying to get a job before I come across - family to support etc.! Can any engineers out there advise me on the state of the job market, what I should expect to earn etc. I am Chartered, mechanical engineer, degree etc. aged 41.
Even visiting uniinformed is very costly, so all leads are welcomed. Thanks
Hi, where are you heading, lots of engineering jobs where I am(where are you working now?), its kinda similar to the UK though, who you know before what you know especially at the bigger places, worthwhile to do some cold calling to likes of Shell, Agrium etc. have a look at the Job bank(Govt Website), you never know, I know Shell Scotford were looking for mechanical engineers recently, Fort Mac might be worth a look(expensive to live & not very nice-but might do for a start).
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Engineering, even Mech. Eng. is a broad term. What do you do/have you done? What field do you want to work in ideally? More detail will help!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:08 am
DCG
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pammy
Hi, where are you heading, lots of engineering jobs where I am(where are you working now?), its kinda similar to the UK though, who you know before what you know especially at the bigger places, worthwhile to do some cold calling to likes of Shell, Agrium etc. have a look at the Job bank(Govt Website), you never know, I know Shell Scotford were looking for mechanical engineers recently, Fort Mac might be worth a look(expensive to live & not very nice-but might do for a start).
Hi, Thanks for the response. I have been in the automotive industry contracting for many years; Ford, Cat, Peugeot * several consultancies etc. However, I am not really an automotive engineer. I have always been in an R&D environment, so I have had a range of roles: design, test, system integration, diagnostics, customer liasion & for the past few years I have been a project manager. Unfortunately there is no way of writing my Cv so it doesn't read 'auto industry' but, I am more than willing to change track. Oil sounds good, but as everything - it's getting a foot in.
I was heading to Vancouver, it's nice but I am aware the cost of living is also high, particularly on firm soil! I am just really keen to move my family this year, but I have an open mind as to where in Canada, as long as it's good for the family. I am currently working in Europe Monday to Friday - it's a good job but I have to think long term. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks David
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:14 am
DCG
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Engineering, even Mech. Eng. is a broad term. What do you do/have you done? What field do you want to work in ideally? More detail will help!
Hi, I have jsut posted the reply above, explaining that most of my experience is in the automotive industry, it is hard to translate via a CV but I have been working as a consultant project manager for the last few years so the skills are transferable to other areas of engineering. Plus my training isn't actually automotive, it's mechanical. Much of the work i have been doing recently is the normal PM stuff: Technical direction, supplier selection, planning, scheduling, design reviews, peer reviews, loads of quality engineering (FMEA, RCL etc.) however I have worked my way to this point via a technical route; design engineer, stress analysis, testing etc. If you can recommend anyone to send a CV to I'll give it a go. Long term the UK doesn't look great from an engineering perspective, all the big firms are struggling & we are just not making investments into technology on any scale to speak of. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DCG
Hi, Thanks for the response. I have been in the automotive industry contracting for many years; Ford, Cat, Peugeot * several consultancies etc. However, I am not really an automotive engineer. I have always been in an R&D environment, so I have had a range of roles: design, test, system integration, diagnostics, customer liasion & for the past few years I have been a project manager. Unfortunately there is no way of writing my Cv so it doesn't read 'auto industry' but, I am more than willing to change track. Oil sounds good, but as everything - it's getting a foot in.
I was heading to Vancouver, it's nice but I am aware the cost of living is also high, particularly on firm soil! I am just really keen to move my family this year, but I have an open mind as to where in Canada, as long as it's good for the family. I am currently working in Europe Monday to Friday - it's a good job but I have to think long term. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks David

OOh, thats a bit of a bummer, it is hard to break into another field and over here they are big on Canadian experience(load of crap if you ask me), my OH had to resit his exams over here and its not as easy as it sounds as the technical terms and even what they call certain methods/tools are different, he has been lucky and managed to land a Technical position but he did have to work his way through some crappy hands on jobs for a while, looks like you may have to be prepared for a rough ride.

As far as I am aware the motor industry is not good here, like I say though if you are really desperate to come to Canada I would seriously consider Fort Mac, lots of dosh to make if you are willing to slog it, wife may not see much of you though!, they are always on the lookout for people, OH told me there are jobs coming up at the Diamond Mines but he's not sure in what area, when I hear I'll post.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:55 am
DCG
Just Joined

OOh, thats a bit of a bummer, it is hard to break into another field and over here they are big on Canadian experience(load of crap if you ask me), my OH had to resit his exams over here and its not as easy as it sounds as the technical terms and even what they call certain methods/tools are different, he has been lucky and managed to land a Technical position but he did have to work his way through some crappy hands on jobs for a while, looks like you may have to be prepared for a rough ride.

As far as I am aware the motor industry is not good here, like I say though if you are really desperate to come to Canada I would seriously consider Fort Mac, lots of dosh to make if you are willing to slog it, wife may not see much of you though!, they are always on the lookout for people, OH told me there are jobs coming up at the Diamond Mines but he's not sure in what area, when I hear I'll post.
Thanks - this is exactly the info I need. Fort Mac sounds great, I am living away from my family in Europe week to week anyway. I am coming across to sit my P-Eng in the summer anyway, which may help. As far as changing courses, my job has be implementing new technologies anyway which are usually spin-offs from other industries, so I am not really an automotive guy - more new technologies. However, I am happy to do hands-on, I came that route anyway. Please keep the ideas & contact flowing, I can give excellent references for my adaptability etc.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

<I'm not an engineer but I've worked in manufacturing/product development organisations for most of my career, incl. a long spell in automotive>

Canada's manufacturing industry is probably in a similar state of crisis to the UK. So if you can't rely on a manufacturing type job then you have to promote your transferable skills (which it sounds like you have) to other industries. The resource sector - Oil/Gas/Mining is a growth industry in Canada albeit with Alberta in particular having seen some retrenchment over the past year. Oil & Alberta doesn't neccessarily have to mean Fort Mac - there are likely opportunities in Edmonton and Calgary as well. Also, check out potential opportunities here in NL as the industry is still doing pretty well here. www.careerbeacon.com is a good starting point for this side of Canada.

Finally, another poster commented that General Dynamics Land Systems in London, ON were hiring engineers at the moment. Thats manufacturing in the defence sector - armoured vehicles. Might be worth a look?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

AzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really niceAzzHoylander is just really nice

David,

I worked as an engineer in the automotive industry in th UK (Nissan) and I moved out 2 and a half years ago to Penticton in BC in the Okanagan Valley. I am the Production & Engineering Manager at a Heavy Haul Trailer manufacturing company and am currently looking to recruit an experienced Mechanical Engineer to strengthen my team. The job is advertised on www.monster.ca (just put Penticton in as a search word) Send me a private message if you are interested and I will give you my e-mail address to send your cv to.

Regards,

Barrie.

Originally Posted by DCG
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AzzHoylander
David,

I worked as an engineer in the automotive industry in th UK (Nissan) and I moved out 2 and a half years ago to Penticton in BC in the Okanagan Valley. I am the Production & Engineering Manager at a Heavy Haul Trailer manufacturing company and am currently looking to recruit an experienced Mechanical Engineer to strengthen my team. The job is advertised on www.monster.ca (just put Penticton in as a search word) Send me a private message if you are interested and I will give you my e-mail address to send your cv to.

Regards,

Barrie.

Hope this works out for you but if not let us know, I was at supper last night with some guys from Siemens, they are hiring in April, Agrium at Fort Saskatchewan is looking for 2 mechanical engineers, they are a fertilizer company(growing...excuse the pun!), I am not sure if you feel comfortable sending me your CV(you can PM me)but if you do I can get someone to put a word in, take care, Pam
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:16 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCG
Hi, I have jsut posted the reply above, explaining that most of my experience is in the automotive industry, it is hard to translate via a CV but I have been working as a consultant project manager for the last few years so the skills are transferable to other areas of engineering. Plus my training isn't actually automotive, it's mechanical. Much of the work i have been doing recently is the normal PM stuff: Technical direction, supplier selection, planning, scheduling, design reviews, peer reviews, loads of quality engineering (FMEA, RCL etc.) however I have worked my way to this point via a technical route; design engineer, stress analysis, testing etc. If you can recommend anyone to send a CV to I'll give it a go. Long term the UK doesn't look great from an engineering perspective, all the big firms are struggling & we are just not making investments into technology on any scale to speak of. Thanks for your help.
The biggest hurdle is automotive has downsized here big time in the last few years, so there are many well qualified engineers out there looking.

Based on your experience and the fact you are pursuing PEng (necessary in your position I think, although I have been fine without it so far) you are well qualified to work here, but make sure your RESUME is canadianised. Calling it a CV is a dead give away.

Read the job seeking wiki, and remember the best resource you have to get a job in Canada is often to Network Network Network.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:18 am
DCG
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AzzHoylander
David,

Regards,

Barrie.
Hi Barrie, small world - I have a friend who spent some years at Nissan as a production Engineer (Remi). I know of Penticton as I am actually registered at my friends house in Kelowna - really nice area! I have had a look on Monster, I am fairly well qualified for most of what is required - but not everything. I'll put an application in with a resume & perhaps you could have a look & see if you think it's a match. Appreciate the help, David

Last edited by DCG; Feb 24th 2010 at 3:19 am. Reason: mistake
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:20 am
DCG
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
The biggest hurdle is automotive has downsized here big time in the last few years, so there are many well qualified engineers out there looking.

Based on your experience and the fact you are pursuing PEng (necessary in your position I think, although I have been fine without it so far) you are well qualified to work here, but make sure your RESUME is canadianised. Calling it a CV is a dead give away.

Read the job seeking wiki, and remember the best resource you have to get a job in Canada is often to Network Network Network.
Thanks, somebody else actually told me this & sent me a link of a good contact to give it a Canadian 'Make-over'.

David
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:21 am
DCG
Just Joined

Hope this works out for you but if not let us know, I was at supper last night with some guys from Siemens, they are hiring in April, Agrium at Fort Saskatchewan is looking for 2 mechanical engineers, they are a fertilizer company(growing...excuse the pun!), I am not sure if you feel comfortable sending me your CV(you can PM me)but if you do I can get someone to put a word in, take care, Pam
Pam, Thanks for the help, I have recently posted my CV all over Canadian sites, so I feel perfectly happy to send it to you. Thanks - all leads help.
What is the best way to send it?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:51 pm
DCG
Just Joined

Hi Pam,

I have had a few interesting responses recently - so I think that it is all going in the right direction! Is the Siemens place in BC?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.