Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Engagment Ring advice sshhh :)

Wikiposts

Engagment Ring advice sshhh :)

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engagment Ring advice sshhh :)

Chat up Morwenna and/or her husband I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

PS - I'd rather choose, than be bought for - but I'm a fussy wotsit sometimes. Is this a surprise, coming completely out of the blue? If so, be bold and purchase something (with the proviso you can bring it back and change it, if she's upfront enough to tell you that it might not be to her taste afterwards!!)
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

My H bought in advance. He did go to a nice jeweller and look at quality, cuts, sizes etc and then plumped for one.

It was great as if you are presented with a ring from the man you love, popping the right question, generally you love it, even if you wouldn't have chosen it yourself (although I would have done with mine). It prevents her knowing the cost and prevents raising the bar, which is very easy to do, talking up is easy

Good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gryphea
My H bought in advance. He did go to a nice jeweller and look at quality, cuts, sizes etc and then plumped for one.

It was great as if you are presented with a ring from the man you love, popping the right question, generally you love it, even if you wouldn't have chosen it yourself (although I would have done with mine). It prevents her knowing the cost and prevents raising the bar, which is very easy to do, talking up is easy

Good luck!
Absoloutely what I think too! My husband had chosen and bought my ring in advance and I loved it. We chose and bought the wedding rings together but for me the engagement ring is much more special and personal and I was very happy he had chosen it. Much more romantic imo.

My younger brother has just proposed to his girlfriend and did it the traditional way, on bended knee (I didn't get that!) in Venice on New Year's Eve with a ring HE had chosen and had made in advance. By all accounts his girlfriend was very happy!
Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:21 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Underworld
Oh im in Calgary by the way
Pop into Birks in TD Square, ask for Alan, and tell him I sent you!!!

edit: I was just telling Al about this post, and he says they always advise the guy to come in and choose a ring, because the presenting the ring / popping the question moment is a (hopefully) once in a lifetime experience and it can be so lovely and romantic, and such a shame to spoil it! (I don't even remember him asking me btw, but I'm sure I would have if it had been a moment like that! )

He says he'd be pleased to spend time showing you the diamonds they have and explaining what to look for in terms of clarity and cut, and that you shouldn't worry about it being the wrong size, or even if the ring itself is "not quite right" as they are happy to exchange it after the event, if she does want to come and pick something else. Sizing is always done after choosing the ring anyway.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jan 3rd 2008 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

After extensive research we found we could buy better stones for less in Canada and that it was far better value for money to buy the diamonds separately and then have them made up into a ring, than to buy a ready-made.

Canadian-mined diamonds have a special cachet: not only are they not blood diamonds but they are generally of outstanding quality (the 3 Cs) and hold their value long-term. They come with a certificate of authenticity and a unique identity number lasered into the bevel.

An added bonus: if you decide to export the stones to have them made up in, say Hatton Garden, you avoid paying tax on them (the broker will come to the customs office at the airport to do the paperwork and hand over the stones).