the endless wait

Wikiposts

the endless wait

Old Jul 31st 2005, 7:22 pm
Banned

Numpty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the endless wait

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Sorry I don't understand why waiting 3 years would put you off. Would it make you apply for immigration to another country or just stay in the UK?

Yes the wait will be long, but I'd rather be in the UK for the next three years waiting, then spend the rest of my life here thinking 'If only we'd applied.

I know that putting your life on hold for three years may be difficult and decisions have to be made based on the possibility of your going/staying. We, for example have decided not to start a family until we move over there as it will be easier if is just the two of us. Even though, ideally we would have liked to start sooner. I think the best thing to do is just make the best of what you've got here until you go.

The waiting time really doesn't bother me too much. Yes, I want to go, but I'm not miserable in the UK. Three years will give us a chance to prepare ourselves for our eventual landing i.e. gain more career experience (albeit in the UK), save money and learn French.

Helen
I think the point that is being made is the fact that you can wait for 3 years, only to be told that you are not accepted. Would you be so happy then?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:25 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Numpty
I think the point that is being made is the fact that you can wait for 3 years, only to be told that you are not accepted. Would you be so happy then?
I think you hit the nail on the head, imagine waiting 3 years only to be told your not accepted. I do think people believe that just because their application has been sent in that they are just counting down the time till they go. As we know it isnt that easy.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, it does seem that very few people get turned down if they do legitimately meet the points score requirement. However, a lot have been turned down because the points score was raised long after they applied... and the longer the backlog, the more likely that is to happen. The current government is probably too weak to risk upsetting minority populations in Canada by raising the pass-mark, but if there's another election and they get replaced, that may all change.

One other issue is that emigrating to many other countries seems to be much harder (if not impossible) if you're over 40. So if you're late in the 30s and facing a three or more year wait to know whether you'll be accepted to Canada, you may well be unable to move to your second choice country if you're turned down.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:36 am
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarkG
To be fair, it does seem that very few people get turned down if they do legitimately meet the points score requirement.

Or do they just not bother coming back on here and telling anyone?
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:52 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I can totally empathise with you all - and we were 'lucky' back end of 2003 applicants - it is a real nightmare sitting in there hanging on waiting endlessly. And it felt like a long, long haul for us

All I can say is it's worth it when you get that shiny hologrammed visa and the doors to a new life open up.

If you can wait that long that is !!

Personally I would say the mid point in our process was the worst - we totally went barmy wondering/waiting/tearing hair out in frustration etc. The only offset is that it really does sort out the wheat from the chaff for the long term (not meant insultingly), in terms of you must be really dedicated and want it to wait so long. I mean, how many peeps watch TV and think, yeah let's emigrate to *anyville, wherever*. Guess that's why a higher % of Canadian immigrants succeed (i.e. remain in Canada) than for other countries.

And anyway CIC never said put your life on hold, give up the will to live, cease replacing worn out old crap etc. Just take this CIC branded soma-pill and when you wake up in 3 years time your life will change ! Wish they did tho.

Good luck, hang in there people. It's all worth it.

Rich.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:58 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

The current government is probably too weak to risk upsetting minority populations in Canada by raising the pass-mark, but if there's another election and they get replaced, that may all change.
No, Canada is not the UK with it's neo-multiculturalist experiment (cobble-up) Canadian gov't will do what is best for Canada, period. There's already a head of steam growing about Asian application volumes. In some bizarre way the Canadian immigration program *generally* works - perhaps it's a perfect example of chaos theory ? :scared:

Rich.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

No, Canada is not the UK with it's neo-multiculturalist experiment (cobble-up) Canadian gov't will do what is best for Canada, period.
Being politicians, I suspect they'll do what gets them re-elected, period .

Certainly my girlfriend is of the opinion that they have far more important things to worry about for the time being than immigration backlogs. Of course she may be wrong...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:36 am
jedi in training

Certainly my girlfriend is of the opinion that they have far more important things to worry about for the time being than immigration backlogs. Of course she may be wrong...

heavens above ........what could be more important!!!!!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:17 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

3 years? Flipping eck, good luck to all the new applicants, I really feel for you.
Just think, 3 years of "Have you heard anything yet?" etc etc
Like was said earlier, the thing that stresses me the most is the thought of getting rejected after a 2 year wait
You'll find with the wait come various stages of mental breakdowns, I started off similar to the first posts on here, "I don't care if I haveto wait 5 years etc....". For the first few months I was really excited, watching EVERYTHING on tv which briefly mentions the word Canada and believe me, I've watched some rubbish!! Then I went into boredom, sort of put it to the back of my mind, that was the best part! But then 12 months, I hit meltdown, checking Eclient every hour, ringing my consultant, "Have you heard anything yet?" (what am I saying?!) to postman stalking. Then I hit the sort of brain dead state when I didn't think I'd worry if CHC told me it'd be another 9 years or not, I just couldnt care less. Now, I'm realy wired and can't wait to hear something from CHC. I'm postman stalking again and really buzing.
But after all that they could still turn around and say No, that's the part which really sucks for me, oh and trying to sell my house and not being able to buy a new car and not.... etc etc etc.
Good luck to all the 3 yearers, I don't think I could cope.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

You are missing my point It's good for people to visit before moving. However, if they spend two weeks on vacation there in the summer buying cheap bits and bobs they shouldn't expect it to be like this when they move for good. I'm just saying some research should be done before moving.

Suze

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Perhaps I'm missing your point but it seems people are damned if they don't visit, and damned if they do, since you say you can't glean anything worthwhile about living in a place from a holiday.

And I'm a converter, we're funding ourselves in GBP for the next 2yrs.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:19 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzey
You are missing my point It's good for people to visit before moving. However, if they spend two weeks on vacation there in the summer buying cheap bits and bobs they shouldn't expect it to be like this when they move for good. I'm just saying some research should be done before moving.

Suze
Maybe a small percentage of would be emigres are of this ilk, but the vast majority are professionals who have done their research, have visited, but unfortunately have also fallen for the we need professionals spiel churned out by Canadian Officials.

It is unfortunate that in each of your posts you have outlined thoughts which for the greater part ignore the reality of the stress endured by many applicants and instead you concentrate on supporting the official line.

Most of us started visiting the BE forums to have a better understanding of the problems that we may face with our applications, we are more then aware that it's no party, we are also deeply aware that despite the fact that we are for the greater part, professionals with decades of experience in our respective fields, we will still need to accept the prospect that we will need to start again afresh in a country which whilst being outwardly westernised seems to regard foreign qualifications and experience with complete disdain.

Despite all this we are persevering, I'm pleased for you that you have achieved your goal, but have some compassion and understanding of the situation that the majority of us are having to put up with, in dealing with a antiquated and slow processing system.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:52 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Covenant
It is unfortunate that in each of your posts you have outlined thoughts which for the greater part ignore the reality of the stress endured by many applicants and instead you concentrate on supporting the official line.
....which is more easily done now that her own visa has been approved.

Show a wee bit of sympathy for your fellow travellers.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

I hear what you are saying and agree with you to an extent...

I spose I am in a different boat to you and therefore have a different POV. I never listened to the "we need professionals" spiel - all I knew was that I had visited Canada, "lived" the lifestyle to as much of an extent as you can while on holiday and not being able to work and I wanted to go there and do it for real on a permanent basis.

I do feel for people who have to wait years to get into Canada. I only had to wait 19 months for my visa after submitting my application, but I had been researching the process/what to expect after I got there for two or three years before that. I didn't have the 75 points I needed at the time and felt really low. This was after I looked into it just after I graduated and realised I didn't have a hope in hell (cos they were grading applicants on their occupations)! So all in all I have been waiting a long time too. I never really found it stressful because I had a plan B and plan C in case I didn't get in or my situation changed.

I hope that everyone gets in and that it works out for them in Canada, I really do!

Suze

Originally Posted by Covenant
Maybe a small percentage of would be emigres are of this ilk, but the vast majority are professionals who have done their research, have visited, but unfortunately have also fallen for the we need professionals spiel churned out by Canadian Officials.

Most of us started visiting the BE forums to have a better understanding of the problems that we may face with our applications, we are more then aware that it's no party, we are also deeply aware that despite the fact that we are for the greater part, professionals with decades of experience in our respective fields, we will still need to accept the prospect that we will need to start again afresh in a country which whilst being outwardly westernised seems to regard foreign qualifications and experience with complete disdain.

Despite all this we are persevering, I'm pleased for you that you have achieved your goal, but have some compassion and understanding of the situation that the majority of us are having to put up with, in dealing with a antiquated and slow processing system.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

I empathise with you, but when I was waiting I never expected any sympathy

Suze

Originally Posted by snowbunny
....which is more easily done now that her own visa has been approved.

Show a wee bit of sympathy for your fellow travellers.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:03 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzey
I hear what you are saying and agree with you to an extent...

I spose I am in a different boat to you and therefore have a different POV. I never listened to the "we need professionals" spiel - all I knew was that I had visited Canada, "lived" the lifestyle to as much of an extent as you can while on holiday and not being able to work and I wanted to go there and do it for real on a permanent basis.

Suze
In truth you are on of those rare individuals who just gets on with their lives, making plans, but at the same time always having a backup plan and alternatives arrangements. Rather then get frustrated at the unfairness of it all. you take a deep breath and get on with life.

Regretably most of us are not that way, we build our hopes up, and then when the worse happens we go into deep depressive states.

I do envy you, it is unfortunate that I am not like you, although I often wish I had the same positive outlook on life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.