Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

employers time off

employers time off

Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: employers time off

I get all stats, plus 11 weeks off and 12 sick days, plus 7 days bereavement per death.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:21 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I get 15 days holiday & all stats.

The best thing for me is the ability to work 1hr extra per day (8am - 5pm instead of 8am - 4pm) and bank up time off that way. 1hr doesn't seem like much but 5hrs a week is almost 22hrs a month put away 'just in case'.

With my 15 days holiday and all my flexi time banked, I now have about 45 days owing.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

I started work for a small IT company in Vancouver in May: I currently get 15 days annual leave + 11 stat days. The office is closed over the Xmas holiday so thats another 3 days extra and I'll go up to 20 days AL after 3yrs service. I've been allowed to take my holiday this year and in fact, I've been allowed to take another 10 days unpaid leave to add on to it.

But more importantly, as RICH said I don't get worked nearly as hard as I did in the UK so I actually spend my annual leave having fun, rather than recovering from stress!

For the record, my wife is a nurse and gets 20 days AL + stat days (Vancouver). She was also given a large amount of unpaid leave, agreed before she took the job, to attend her sisters wedding in Ireland and she acrues any extra time worked to take as additional leave days. The biggest problem is that she has to plan & book WHEN she wants to take her annual leave up to 12 months in advance.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:43 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Im on a salaried position, I get 3 weeks plus 11 stats. However its a small company and they are very flexible, Ive had 3 extra days off this year they dont mind as long as I put the effort in when required.

If I knew when I moved here what I know now Id have 4wks from day 1 - trick is negotiate! Get their policy out in the open too!

Also as lots have said Im not worked nearly as hard here - Its way more relaxed even in Ontario! More often than not Im home for 5pm and I work 1hr from home.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bimchick
I get all stats, plus 11 weeks off and 12 sick days, plus 7 days bereavement per death.
Who do you work for?.....let me guess a 'union' shop.

To me 'sick days' are often for a lot of interpretation but then I'm self employed and I think that people in the self employment sector take less sick days off than those who get paid for them.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
Same deal for me.

My dog died and I was told (didn't ask) to take a couple of days off.
I have a budgie...would that count........
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:00 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by clynnog
I have a budgie...would that count........
I have a Tamagochi! Is that in the same category?? He dies regularly too so could be onto a winner here!