Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

EMPLOYER WON'T PAY ME!!!

Wikiposts

EMPLOYER WON'T PAY ME!!!

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EMPLOYER WON'T PAY ME!!!

Originally Posted by Griff
On a totally different issue - we have had a difficulty with someone who we paid to perform a service which was inadequate and actually ended up us being charged...(tax)

So, on that note why is it that business' in BC seem to be able to get away with behaviour like the one we experienced and is experienced by the OP here??

Have to say the UK system does offer some redress for 'victims' in these circumstances...BC could learn something here
The systems in BC are not that different to the UK. There are lawyers (who from my experience are half the price of the UK) as well as small claims court. For employment related grievances the Employment Standards Branch will investigate complaints and compliance if a breech is discovered as well as WCB for safety issues and the BBB. I would say there are at least the same if not more avenues of redress in BC than the UK.

You will find shoddy service, workmanship and scam artists the world over. I recall bogus workman calling on my grandmother (in the UK) trying to get money to fix her roof (which was perfectly OK) and another who has some 'asphalt left over from the motorway' who wanted to do her drive. In the UK I took someone to court, got a judgment, which could not be effectively enforced because of a weak system.

'The real hustle' on TV is about hustlers in the UK, they are everywhere.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:40 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

On a totally different issue - we have had a difficulty with someone who we paid to perform a service which was inadequate and actually ended up us being charged...(tax)
By tax, do you mean WCB? If so, is is very easy to check if a contractor has WCB coverage before yo give them a job.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
By tax, do you mean WCB? If so, is is very easy to check if a contractor has WCB coverage before yo give them a job.
In fact if you hire a contractor you should check that they have WCB coverage. If they don't the homeowner or their insurer is on the hook for any work related claims.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

No, sorry for any confusion - by tax I meant we paid someone to submit our tax returns
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

No, sorry for any confusion - by tax I meant we paid someone to submit our tax returns
You can send in T1 Adjustment Request or write to CRA for reassessment
of your tax returns for that particular calendar year.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/README.html

Yoong