Reload this Page >

EMPLOYER WON'T PAY ME!!!

Wikiposts

EMPLOYER WON'T PAY ME!!!

Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:25 am
Just Joined

djsiege83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EMPLOYER WON'T PAY ME!!!

Hi, actually its my girlfriend, she's worked a day for a catering company. The work and the people there were pretty awful, and she left. All done with no ill feeling. Then, when she calls to arrange getting paid the owner says she was on training and isn't getting paid.

What do we do? Is there an equivalent to a citizens advice bureau out here? There's no way its worth going to a small claims court is there?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:36 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EMPLOYER WON'T PAY ME!!!

Which province are you in?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:42 am
Just Joined

BC, we're living in Vancouver.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:43 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by djsiege83
Hi, actually its my girlfriend, she's worked a day for a catering company. The work and the people there were pretty awful, and she left. All done with no ill feeling. Then, when she calls to arrange getting paid the owner says she was on training and isn't getting paid.

What do we do? Is there an equivalent to a citizens advice bureau out here? There's no way its worth going to a small claims court is there?

Thank you.
that's actually quite common, even in the UK for temps.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:49 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Try the BC Labour Relations Board.

http://www.lrb.bc.ca/
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
Contact the Employment Standards Branch Employment Standards are quite clear about payment. Perhaps the threat of a complaint me be enough to convince them, if not try speaking to the ESB and see what they suggest. They are usually very helpful.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Try the BC Labour Relations Board.

http://www.lrb.bc.ca/
Only for unionised work places. The Employment Standards Branch is the government body the enforces the Employment Standards Act.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:56 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

BC, we're living in Vancouver.
Then the employer is talking ****.

First off, tell the employer that you know they are required to pay you. There is no such thing as unpaid "training" in BC.

You can point them to the labour standards if they don't believe you. http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/esaguide/#2

Then tell them that if you are not paid for the hours you worked then you will either:

a) launch an action in the small claims court or,
b) you will take action through the labour standards branch.

The latter is much more effective, and even cheaper. Start here: http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/self-help/
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Great, I've sent an e-mail, having got no success over the phone.

I believe we're covered by the Employment Standards Act as Temporary Overseas Workers, so if we don't get a reply we'll be lodging a complaint.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:11 pm
imperfection is beauty

debzielou is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading your post we have a similar situation and are in BC too. My boyfriend hasnt been paid for some work he has done and his employer refused point blank to pay him for it. We sent a letter pointing out where he was in breach of the employment standards act (on around 4 points) as well he breaches health and safety at work and he still refused so we are in the process of lodging our complaint with the Employment Standards Agency. Good luck!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I can't believe how some people operate. They're just trying it on, hoping we just forget it and move on. Keep us posted on how you get on and we'll do the same. Do you have any idea on timescales? How long do you think it will be until its sorted?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:07 pm
imperfection is beauty

debzielou is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest I dont know but apparently the Employment Standards Agency can impose hefty fines and stuff so hopefully we will get the money. We would just leave it be if it were just a little amount as Im not the confrontational type but its nearly $4000 so weve decided to go for it. Needless to say my boyfriend doesnt work for the guy any more which is proving a problem in itself as we are here on a TWP so not quite sure what to do now!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:59 pm

WCB may be interested in safety issues.

There is also a Lawyer Referral Service for a low cost initial consultation.

Last edited by Aviator; Mar 21st 2009 at 5:01 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bchrt.bc.ca/rules_practic...re/default.htm
You could write a complaint to BC Human Rights Tribunal and see
whether they will help you out.
Yoong
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

On a totally different issue - we have had a difficulty with someone who we paid to perform a service which was inadequate and actually ended up us being charged...(tax)

So, on that note why is it that business' in BC seem to be able to get away with behaviour like the one we experienced and is experienced by the OP here??

Have to say the UK system does offer some redress for 'victims' in these circumstances...BC could learn something here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.