Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emigrating with wine...

Emigrating with wine...

Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Emigrating with wine...

Here's one I haven't seen so far on here.

I have a modest collection of fine wines that I've built up over the last few years.
We're not talking a huge cellar or anything, just a few cases.

Knowing that there are restrictions on bringing in wines/spirits if visiting, do these restrictions also apply if arriving to live?

In other words, will I be able to bring my bottles with me, or should I just spend the two weeks before leaving drinking it all up thus arriving with an almighty hangover?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emigrating with wine...

Gee I have no idea about this one, I would imagine it would be a no but not really sure....So if you need help with the drinking of it.....call me....pleasssse.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure either, but I think there is nothing to stop you bringing it, but you will have to pay duty on anything over 1.5l????

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4151/rc4151-e.htm
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Link broken Iain...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4151-e.html

If it doesnt work go to
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/

search for "settling in canada"
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

43. Settlers meeting the minimum age requirements of the province or territory through which they enter Canada can include in their personal exemption, without assessment, up to either 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of liquor, or, as a substitute, 8.5 litres of beer or ale (i.e., 24 × 355 ml cans or bottles).

44. Alcohol and tobacco in excess of the personal exemption limits are subject to high importation costs, as provincial fees and taxes are assessed in addition to the duties which apply. In some cases, provincial limits also apply.

45. Settlers intending to ship alcoholic beverages to Canada (e.g., the contents of a bar or wine cellar) are advised to contact the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor board authority, prior to shipment, so that provincial fees and assessments can be paid in advance. In order to obtain release of the shipment in Canada, the settler must produce a copy of the provincial receipt and pay all of the applicable customs assessments.
Ah well.

To save on the duty, I foresee an effing big party on the horizon.

Shame as some of the wine won't be quite ready...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Ah well.

To save on the duty, I foresee an effing big party on the horizon.

Shame as some of the wine won't be quite ready...
How much is the duty??? Presumably its fixed by volume, not value, so an expensive bottle is the same as a cheap one????

Just thinking it might be worth importing anyway if its not ridiculously high and you can get it here in one peice?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:33 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Here being the Quinte region, I trust...?

Originally Posted by iaink
it might be worth importing anyway if its not ridiculously high and you can get it here in one peice?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Here being the Quinte region, I trust...?
Arf!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

You might be interested in visiting Oliver (the wine capital of Canada)

http://www.oliverbc.ca
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

And here I was thinking that PEC,Quinte was the Canuck wine capital.

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot
You might be interested in visiting Oliver (the wine capital of Canada)

http://www.oliverbc.ca
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I have a modest collection of fine wines that I've built up over the last few years.

Knowing that there are restrictions on bringing in wines/spirits if visiting, do these restrictions also apply if arriving to live?

In other words, will I be able to bring my bottles with me, or should I just spend the two weeks before leaving drinking it all up thus arriving with an almighty hangover?
Can't you hide it in a cupboard in your container shipment?
Naughty but nice!
Otherwise I live close and will be glad to look after them while you're away!
Any interesting spanish reds?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:47 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
Can't you hide it in a cupboard in your container shipment?
Naughty but nice!
Otherwise I live close and will be glad to look after them while you're away!
Any interesting spanish reds?
I was advised that liquor is charged duty on volume and not value. Also there is no allowance if you are emigrating, so you will have to pay duty on everything you bring over. I got my parents to bring my wine collection over with them when they came over so I didn't have to pay any duty on it.

HTH

Sarah
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lived in Vancouver BC, now back in England, and loving being back.
PhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant future

Hi Mr. Lee, I also have a modest collection of wine, and will be returning to England in a few weeks. Many of the moving companies have advised against shipping the red wine, they say it can seperate? I have no idea if this is true, also they say they will not insure it, or anything it might spill on in transit. Just a thought.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 2:04 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Heres the relevent bit of the regs...
43. Settlers meeting the minimum age requirements of the province or territory through which they enter Canada can include in their personal exemption, without assessment, up to either 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of liquor, or, as a substitute, 8.5 litres of beer or ale (i.e., 24 × 355 ml cans or bottles).

44. Alcohol and tobacco in excess of the personal exemption limits are subject to high importation costs, as provincial fees and taxes are assessed in addition to the duties which apply. In some cases, provincial limits also apply.

45. Settlers intending to ship alcoholic beverages to Canada (e.g., the contents of a bar or wine cellar) are advised to contact the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor board authority, prior to shipment, so that provincial fees and assessments can be paid in advance. In order to obtain release of the shipment in Canada, the settler must produce a copy of the provincial receipt and pay all of the applicable customs assessments.

From here...
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/...tml#P176_26686

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.