Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emigrating with pets

Emigrating with pets

Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating with pets

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
Air Transat have assured us that the weight of the dog is irrelevant, so long as they have the proper paperwork and their crate is suitable for air travel. I checked and double checked this - our 25kg airedale terrier is flying excess baggage with us in 2 weeks, Manchester to Calgary. I have it in writing that our he and his giant varikennel crate will be accepted at the check-in counter.
Maybe this is some restriction that has changed recently.
Wow... Exact opposite of what I was told.

Good luck and let us know how you got on and if it all went smoothly
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfman1
Maybe a silly question, Looking at your forum handle did your two dogs consist of pugs?. I have heard that not many airlines will fly pugs(flat faces and all that) as we have three pugs to consider as well as chihuahuas and a corgi maybe i will just charter my own boat
We brought a French bulldog over this summer, air Canada was the only airline that would fly her because of the flat face!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
We brought a French bulldog over this summer, air Canada was the only airline that would fly her because of the flat face!
Why is that when pitbulls etc aren't banned over here?

First time a pitbull came running over to me off leash over here I literally froze in fear. I've never seen such a powerful dog in the flesh. It could have ripped my lab to pieces if it wanted to.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 4:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass

First time a pitbull came running over to me off leash over here I literally froze in fear. I've never seen such a powerful dog in the flesh. It could have ripped my lab to pieces if it wanted to.
They are banned from being imported or bred in Ontario, although any that were here prior to the act coming into force were 'grandfathered' and allowed provided they wear a muzzle and a leash outside of the home and are neutered.

Most other Provinces have laws in place too. http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/pre-20...gs/bylaws.html
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

REALLY ?? I do love a blanket generalisation - lets ban all pit bulls . . .
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:59 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I think what people do not realise is its the owners that cause issues, pitbulls, staffies etc can be lovely dogs and its a shame they get sterotyped because of a minority of bad owners
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

Very true Mikey I know two families with pits here and both dogs are the soppiest kindest family dogs because they have been raised properly
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
At what point did I say lets ban pit bulls? Err none. I love dogs. The comment about being banned was my confusion about them not being allowed to fly when they are not banned! As in if they are not banned why are they not allowed to fly?

What I said was I met a pitbull for the first time and was scared by its size and potential power. I've never seen such a powerful dog before. I was with a young lab and the fully grown male dog was not muzzled or on a lease!!

Don't taint me with the brush of wanting to ban breeds - I believe a dog is a reflection if its owner thank you very much.

Last edited by Geordie Lass; Aug 3rd 2013 at 2:21 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 2:46 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

At what point did I say lets ban pit bulls? Err none. I love dogs. The comment about being banned was my confusion about them not being allowed to fly when they are not banned! As in if they are not banned why are they not allowed to fly?

What I said was I met a pitbull for the first time and was scared by its size and potential power. I've never seen such a powerful dog before. I was with a young lab and the fully grown male dog was not muzzled or on a lease!!

Don't taint me with the brush of wanting to ban breeds - I believe a dog is a reflection if its owner thank you very much.
Your post wasn't particularly clear.. To me it read as if you we're of the view that there should be a blanket ban.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 2:50 am
half a century

Usually it's flat faced dogs that airlines don't like to fly .. Due to respiratory issues. Air transat did query where we were flying our staffie cross to .. They were worried about flying him to Ontario due to the PB ban.

B.C. Was fine
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

S_elliott52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I've just moved to vancouver form the UK. I flew my 2 cats over here, I used air transat from manchester and could fault them. I had their pet passports and health certificates but no one checked them at the airport. I did use a pet transport company as they were all expensive. In total it cost me £98, pet passport and rabies jab, £35 health certificate, £30 for the carrier and £180 for the flight they flew as excess baggage, this is PER CAT. I had to pay 40$ to get them "inspected" at vancouver airport, they never looked at the cats or their documents, they only asked where I was flying in from.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update on our flight with dogs on Air Transat. We'll try to write in more detail when we get a chance.
Everything when smoothly, check-in staff was very helpful at Manchester airport. They have asked about combined weight of each dog and a crate but it was only that they have this information added. Our Airedale is 25kg plus giant crate, nobody looked surprised or disapproved.
It did take a long time for them to check us in, check and seal the crates etc., we even had to run to get onto the plane as they have made a "this is a last call for.." us three times. We have got two small kids and we had to check in pram, baby carrier, car seat etc. and then go through security with all that stuff, so that might have been something to do with it.
The dogs were fine at Calgary. The bigger dog got a bit stressed, I think, as he started growling at people coming straight to the crate to have a look at him, and this is not his normal behaviour. Anyway, out of the crates they were fine.
The paperwork was not checked at Manchester airport, but it was checked in Calgary
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:34 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update on our flight with dogs on Air Transat. We'll try to write in more detail when we get a chance.
Everything when smoothly, check-in staff was very helpful at Manchester airport. They have asked about combined weight of each dog and a crate but it was only that they have this information added. Our Airedale is 25kg plus giant crate, nobody looked surprised or disapproved.
It did take a long time for them to check us in, check and seal the crates etc., we even had to run to get onto the plane as they have made a "this is a last call for.." us three times. We have got two small kids and we had to check in pram, baby carrier, car seat etc. and then go through security with all that stuff, so that might have been something to do with it.
The dogs were fine at Calgary. The bigger dog got a bit stressed, I think, as he started growling at people coming straight to the crate to have a look at him, and this is not his normal behaviour. Anyway, out of the crates they were fine.
The paperwork was not checked at Manchester airport, but it was checked in Calgary
Sounds like it all worked out which is good. Did you just have fit to fly or did you have defra paperwork as well?

it seems a little confusing as our vet is defra approved and when she rang them they confirmed just a fit to fly note in the pet passports would be fine. Both our cat and dog are up to date with rabies and other vacinations so we had wondered if we just need the fit to fly and pet passports?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Sounds like it all worked out which is good. Did you just have fit to fly or did you have defra paperwork as well?

it seems a little confusing as our vet is defra approved and when she rang them they confirmed just a fit to fly note in the pet passports would be fine. Both our cat and dog are up to date with rabies and other vacinations so we had wondered if we just need the fit to fly and pet passports?
We had everything stamped by the vet in their Pet Passports: Rabies, Worming, Ticks, Fit to fly. We did not have any extra piece of paper, everything was in passports.
At the Calgary they only checked Rabies stamps as they need to write the date down in their paperwork.
Other airlines might require more paperwork.

Last edited by Bucks_Family; Aug 9th 2013 at 12:02 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:09 pm

We had everything stamped by the vet in their Pet Passports: Rabies, Worming, Ticks, Fit to fly. We did not have any extra piece of paper, everything was in passports.
At the Calgary they only checked Rabies stamps as they need to write the date down in their paperwork.
Other airlines might require more paperwork.
We plan to use Air transat, so no need for either an import or export certificate?, just the pet passports. That sounds good then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.