Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

emigrating with kids, rent or buy?

Wikiposts

emigrating with kids, rent or buy?

Old Feb 26th 2015, 4:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emigrating with kids, rent or buy?

Originally Posted by Decisive moment
thank you. that sounds like sensible advice. We did a reccie trip last October but as we are looking at quite rural areas and properties with land, it still meant that we were left considering a large number of areas in which to live.
I live on a rural property with land. Orangeville is the nearest place with a proper supermarket. If you think there's something I know that could be useful to you please ask.

In the meantime, here's the worst horror story of rural living I've heard; last week someone who rides at the same barn as we do had her septic system freeze. No amount of standby generators and snowblowers prepares one for having to pee hotly.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved with school-aged children and we lived with family for nearly a year before we bought a house. They did have to change schools. It wasn't ideal, but I made sure they knew the first school was temporary. We bought a house over the summer, but hadn't moved in by the beginning of the school year. With proof of our move, the new school allowed us to register them and they started on the first day with everyone else. They have adjusted very well. I was worried about them having to deal with another transition, but I don't give them enough credit. My kids are 6 and 7. Good luck with your move.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

philwood has a spectacular aura aboutphilwood has a spectacular aura aboutphilwood has a spectacular aura about

Renting is definitely the least stressful and easiest way of doing things. If you're worried about moving out of the area and away from the school after a year, then perhaps wait a little bit longer than a year until something more local comes up?

While you're looking at houses to rent, don't be afraid of snooping around at some houses up for sale too. While it's more work and effort, something really good might come up and you might just get a streak of luck with your move!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for rural property and acreage .... and there's a difference between having a nice big garden of say an acre & not living cheek by jowl with your neighbours, and having an acreage with attendant need for tractors, equipment and time to maintain it all .... then I'm guessing it might be more difficult to rent at first? I'd've thought that most rental property would be "in town" rather than rural or semi-rural. But, others closer to Orangeville than I, will have a better view of this I'm sure.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Since I’m at a loose end, and closer to O’ville than AX, here are some things you might need to know about rural property around Orangeville:

- There are very often rural properties for rent. Some of them quite odd (like the former petrol station just north of Grand Valley).
- Much of the land is swampy, walk it all in Spring before spending any money.
- Amaranth has gobsmacking property taxes and development fees. Mono also has high property taxes.
- Land surveys are more expensive than you’d think and you need one for any sort of construction permit (and, if you live in the country, something will need building). Try to make the seller get one.
- The power will go out for days. You need some sort of generator.
- No power = no heat so you need a woodstove and a pile of wood.
- Internet is typically by line of sight. Get xplornet to confirm that it’ll work before buying a property.
- Get the seller to pump the septic; that way you will at least know where it is.
- The rule of thumb for weather is that it gets bad north of highway 89, south of there is relatively tropical.
- Rural properties take a long time, sometimes years, to sell. It’s even more important in the country to avoid getting the wrong one than it is in town.
- Dundalk is known locally as Scumdalk. That’s fair. There’s no reason to go there.
- The area immediately north of the Dufferin County Museum is hilly, very attractive, and just too far to be commutable to Toronto. You could do worse than going left at the garage/liquor outlet and having a look.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Since I’m at a loose end, and closer to O’ville than AX, here are some things you might need to know about rural property around Orangeville:

- There are very often rural properties for rent. Some of them quite odd (like the former petrol station just north of Grand Valley).
- Much of the land is swampy, walk it all in Spring before spending any money.
- Amaranth has gobsmacking property taxes and development fees. Mono also has high property taxes.
- Land surveys are more expensive than you’d think and you need one for any sort of construction permit (and, if you live in the country, something will need building). Try to make the seller get one.
- The power will go out for days. You need some sort of generator.
- No power = no heat so you need a woodstove and a pile of wood.
- Internet is typically by line of sight. Get xplornet to confirm that it’ll work before buying a property.
- Get the seller to pump the septic; that way you will at least know where it is.
- The rule of thumb for weather is that it gets bad north of highway 89, south of there is relatively tropical.
- Rural properties take a long time, sometimes years, to sell. It’s even more important in the country to avoid getting the wrong one than it is in town.
- Dundalk is known locally as Scumdalk. That’s fair. There’s no reason to go there.
- The area immediately north of the Dufferin County Museum is hilly, very attractive, and just too far to be commutable to Toronto. You could do worse than going left at the garage/liquor outlet and having a look.
Thanks. I think i need to get the map out and have a look at where you are describing. We definitely need high speed internet as will be working from home so that may well scupper plans.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks. I think i need to get the map out and have a look at where you are describing. We definitely need high speed internet as will be working from home so that may well scupper plans.
I work from home often enough. The line of sight connection will support most requirements. The issue isn't the speed of the connection but the reliability, you need two levels of back up; a generator for when there's no power and a cell phone tethering mechanism for when there's no line of sight.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to consider when looking at living in a rural area with children could be the problem of getting them together with their friends.

Transit in Canada is pretty good compared with some countries, but is far from anywhere near the UK system ...............

so you could be isolated unless you have a car, two cars might be better. And the kids would need driving to and from meets with friends out of school hours.

I think you also need to look at the distance beyond which school buses will be available vs where you have to drive them to and from school. In some areas that I know about that distance is 3 km, in others 5 km ........... but it varies from school district to school district.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
One thing to consider when looking at living in a rural area with children could be the problem of getting them together with their friends.

Transit in Canada is pretty good compared with some countries, but is far from anywhere near the UK system ...............

so you could be isolated unless you have a car, two cars might be better. And the kids would need driving to and from meets with friends out of school hours.

I think you also need to look at the distance beyond which school buses will be available vs where you have to drive them to and from school. In some areas that I know about that distance is 3 km, in others 5 km ........... but it varies from school district to school district.
thanks for this. we definitely plan on two cars. Do you know if maps of school catchment areas / school bus routes are available online?
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you Google the school district(s) in the area you are interested in.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

thanks for this. we definitely plan on two cars. Do you know if maps of school catchment areas / school bus routes are available online?
If you live rurally the route is adjusted to you so that's no help. Searching for Upper Grand District School Board might be a start; I'm not sure where the the school board areas start and end.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

Upper Grand District School Board | School Locations and Driving Directions
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Out of interest, of those that rented prior to purchasing, how many bought in an area radically different to where they rented?
We did. However, our situation was different to the OP's. We rented an apartment (in Toronto) before we had kids and then bought a house outside the city (in Brampton, ON) when my wife got pregnant with our 2nd child.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

It might be better to rent new kids when you get here

That way you can take them back if you don't like them....
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.