Reload this Page >

Emigrating and Jobs in Canada - nurse and teacher

Emigrating and Jobs in Canada - nurse and teacher

Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

amacke4344 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating and Jobs in Canada - nurse and teacher

Hi
I have visited this forum for a while and eventually decided to register and may i say it has been invaluable for the hints, tips and friendliness.

Anyway forgive me but as its my first posting i probably will have asked questions that may seem silly.
My questions are me and my partner are both in our early forties and she is a qualified nurse, i went back to college at 39 to gain qualifications and am now in university studying modern studies and social science with the aim of graduating in 2 years time as a teacher, obviously i will have to do a 9 month post grad teaching conversion.
So my question is would we be able to secure employment in Canada and also would they accept our applications with regards to our jobs or potential jobs ?
As i say sorry if it is a long winded post
Thanks
Allan
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating and Jobs in Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'll move your post - the imm section is really just for anything to do with visas, any general lifestyle or job questions are better off in the main Canada section.

But in answer to your question, unfortunately you've got two pretty tough career choices as far as Canada goes! For teaching, have a look at this Wiki article - Teaching in Canada : British Expat Wiki

And for nursing, have a search of the forums to see what your partner will need to do to be able to work as a nurse in Canada - be prepared for quite a wait and quite a bit of money to be spent to get to that point. It might also be worth mentioning which province you're hoping to move to, as nursing certification is provincial rather than federal I believe.

I'm sure that some of our resident nurses and teachers will be along shortly to give you more specific advice, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 11th 2015 at 4:14 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 11:52 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating and Jobs in Canada - nurse and teacher

I understand nursing and teaching are two of the hardest professions to get into over here. Teaching seems to be pretty much a closed shop and highly unionised. The nursing might get you into the country but you might then have to be prepared to work as something else while qualifications are assessed. I know some very experienced people on this forum have struggled in the past/present.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 12:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amacke4344
Hi
I have visited this forum for a while and eventually decided to register and may i say it has been invaluable for the hints, tips and friendliness.

Anyway forgive me but as its my first posting i probably will have asked questions that may seem silly.
My questions are me and my partner are both in our early forties and she is a qualified nurse, i went back to college at 39 to gain qualifications and am now in university studying modern studies and social science with the aim of graduating in 2 years time as a teacher, obviously i will have to do a 9 month post grad teaching conversion.
So my question is would we be able to secure employment in Canada and also would they accept our applications with regards to our jobs or potential jobs ?
Thanks
Allan
One would hope that as a teacher you would have better English skills.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on when your partner trained as a nurse and the province you both plan to live and work in will have an impact to whether they will work as a nurse or have to spend $$ upgrading to meet Canada's requirements. Transcripts need to show clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Ostetrics and Adult. Several provinces also require some form of practical assessment which for the ones posting that they have done assessment have to do some courses to meet requirements. New process for nurses who have to go through NNAS first before then applying to the provincial college of RNs so looking at a processing time of anything from a few months to several months/years before decision is made and eligibility made to sit NCLEX
Old Feb 12th 2015, 11:39 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

to the OP - ignore all the negativity on here.

Noone can be bother'd with da grammar all the time!
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:15 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
to the OP - ignore all the negativity on here.

Noone can be bother'd with da grammar all the time!
While you may have had a point (I didn't see your previous posts before they were deleted) about nit-picking over grammar, I think to say something like "ignore all the negativity on here" is actually singularly unhelpful to the OP.

The challenges for qualified and experienced nurses and teachers, both to have their qualifications recognized, and then to find work in their chosen professions, have been discussed on these boards many, many times in the past.

Teaching, in particular, is incredibly difficult for overseas-qualified professionals to break into. Years of working supply contracts, positions filled according to seniority rather than competence, and a long hard slog for a permanent position, all conspire to persuade many people to give up and choose a different career altogether.

Nursing seems to be a bit different: while there are acknowledged shortages, and in some areas of the country no lack of jobs to take up once qualified, the number and complexity of the hoops that provincial nursing colleges (and regulatory bodies for other related roles in physiotherapy, diagnostic imaging, etc) put in the way of overseas-trained professionals are so disheartening that probably more than half of qualified immigrants give up and do something else before they finish the journey. I know at least two nurses and one physiotherapist who eventually had enough of the frustration and now work in unrelated jobs.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on above.

To the OP, you don't indicate whereabouts in Canada you would want to go. You should note that both teaching & nursing are regulated provincially not federally. So the processes and opportunities will vary from province to province. Where I live - Newfoundland - effectively you would have zero chance of obtaining a teaching position at present. Nursing, I don't know about.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

I am still in UK going through all the nursing assessments....so far it took me a year just to get to the actual nursing assessment, which I know will end up with me being asked to do some extra modules...and that will be another 6 to 18 months depending on how much I need to do...and so far that is in a region of £2000 spent...I have some Canadian course books and mock questions etc, as I made a point of working/communicating very frequently with the collage (in NS) and with the prospective employer...college helps me to prepare for the assessment, keeping in touch with particular individuals within the hospital makes me more memorable I guess for when the time is right to apply. Because we (my husband and I) have young children I was not prepare to take a risk and moving first then sorting the job...however a good news is that I applied for the Registered Nurse registration...(bad grammar and this is rather lengthy process...however I was offered a temporary registration as a LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse, given the experience etc. LPN still has got its own college that I needed to apply to etc, and if I would like to obtain a full one I need to sit an exam ect (with temporary registration you can work until the nearest available slot for the exam is offered to you). LPN however means a wage cut which I can't afford...so for now still in UK getting all important registration...flying over in April for my assessments[
QUOTE=amacke4344;11562595]Hi

Thanks
Allan[/QUOTE]