Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Halifax.

Emigrating to Halifax.

Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Hannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really nice
Default Emigrating to Halifax.

Hi everyone,

Advice needed. We have recently been for our interviews and have been told that we could be over the pond as early as September. I am an early years educator and will becoming with my OH and two children 8 and 12. We are looking towards moving to Halifax as this has been recommended to us. Can anyone give us any advice or recommend any areas within Halifax to consider. Is there anything we should look out for or beware of as we have never been to this area of Canada. We are very excited about the prospect of moving although we are under no illusion that there will be many high and low points along the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:08 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Halifax.

Originally Posted by Hannahlou
Hi everyone,

Advice needed. We have recently been for our interviews and have been told that we could be over the pond as early as September. I am an early years educator and will becoming with my OH and two children 8 and 12. We are looking towards moving to Halifax as this has been recommended to us. Can anyone give us any advice or recommend any areas within Halifax to consider. Is there anything we should look out for or beware of as we have never been to this area of Canada. We are very excited about the prospect of moving although we are under no illusion that there will be many high and low points along the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you been ?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

A lot depends on what you are looking for, how much money you have etc. If you are looking for a large house and more garden, then popular areas where you will get more for you money are Tantallon, Fall River, Porter's Lake/Laurencetown. The closer to Halifax you get, the more expensive the houses, less garden etc. In Halifax itself, south and west end are the better areas, would avoid north and central (especially anywhere near Gottingen Street). Would also be wary of certain areas in Dartmouth. Schooling is also something to consider, especially for your 12 year old - in Halifax there was a merger of High Schools into Citadel High, which has a high student/teacher ratio, although it is a modern new building.
If you could give a few more details, I'm sure more people would be able to help you
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Hannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really niceHannahlou is just really nice

Thanks for the info. No we havent been to Halifax before so this is very new. Looking for suggestions at the moment and any areas within canada that people can recommend would be great at the moment we are not tied to any specific areas. As regards to finances without sounding ridiculous, we are financially secure in the Uk and have no mortgage to worry about. We will come over to canada with quite substantial savings. We just want to make sure that where we land is the right place for us as a family, we do understand that until youve lived it then you cant say that for sure but want to make the transition as easy as it can be.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. No we havent been to Halifax before so this is very new. Looking for suggestions at the moment and any areas within canada that people can recommend would be great at the moment we are not tied to any specific areas. As regards to finances without sounding ridiculous, we are financially secure in the Uk and have no mortgage to worry about. We will come over to canada with quite substantial savings. We just want to make sure that where we land is the right place for us as a family, we do understand that until youve lived it then you cant say that for sure but want to make the transition as easy as it can be.
I would also suggest that visiting a place would benefit before committing. Some haven't visited places they settle in, others have. I would suggest it could save money in the long run. The old addage of 'happy employed immigrant is a happy immigrant' also stands true.

If you have a load of cash, as you would seem to indicate, cost of housing is not a factor in any place you go so a visit would benefit your choice.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

izie71 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving to Halifax hopefully after 20th of January as my husband has a job offer there. We have two children (7 & 5) but we homeschool so don't have to worry about finding school (one less thing to do!). When do you move? We moving from the UK but have spent the last seven years in New Zealand! Bit nervous but looking forward... I have heard about fall river and south end of Halifax as being good choices. I suppose it depends whether you want to be central or out of town! good luck with your life move.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

HI,

We moved here from the UK 16 months ago & live in Cole Harbour.

I know alot of people here, moved from areas like Waverley, Fall River just to put their kids in the school system NOT Cole Harbour High but the Auburn Family ie. Caldwell Elementary, Auburn & Astral.

I dont have any information on other schools unfortunately, BUT have only heard good things about these schools, hence putting our boys in these schools

Just my pennys worth

Michelle