Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

emigrating to canada

emigrating to canada

Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:34 am
Just Joined

dylan101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emigrating to canada

Hi my husband and I are interested in emigrating to ontario. been on holiday there and loved it. I am a community cardiac nurse (G grade) with a nurse prescribing qualification and degree. I have 6 years ITU experience and am prepared that I may have to go back to this if we were successful in going to canada to live. Could I ask if anyone knows of a reputable agency or to give advice on the best way of going about emigrating. would we be better to apply for permant residency and if so would this enable me to work in any area of nursing. Being permanent resident, would I still need transcripts of my uk nurse training and still have to sit the canadian exams etc? My husband is a software developer - would anyone know how easy it would be for him to find work? all comments much appreciated.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: emigrating to canada

Originally Posted by dylan101
Hi my husband and I are interested in emigrating to ontario. been on holiday there and loved it. I am a community cardiac nurse (G grade) with a nurse prescribing qualification and degree. I have 6 years ITU experience and am prepared that I may have to go back to this if we were successful in going to canada to live. Could I ask if anyone knows of a reputable agency or to give advice on the best way of going about emigrating. would we be better to apply for permant residency and if so would this enable me to work in any area of nursing. Being permanent resident, would I still need transcripts of my uk nurse training and still have to sit the canadian exams etc? My husband is a software developer - would anyone know how easy it would be for him to find work? all comments much appreciated.
As a nurse your biggest issue is being permitted to practice. This may be of interest: http://www.cno.org/for/intl_apps.htm

Your husband obviously does not face any formal barriers, but does face the powerful "no Canadian experience" catch-22, which is the insatiable need of Canadian employers to see Canadian experience on a resume. Canadian employers have a mental impediment that prevents them from conceiving of a civilized world outside of Canada. This can be overcome with a combination of perseverence and good luck. This assumes, of course, that your husband did not invent the internet or perform some other software miracle, the merits of which even a Canadian employer would understand.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will judge you based on a silly numerical formula which has no bearing at all on your actual employability, so do not take being granted PR as meaning you are ok to work as a nurse. CIC operates in a special fantasy world all of its own.

Good luck.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 12:21 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dylan101
My husband is a software developer - would anyone know how easy it would be for him to find work?
How long is a piece of string?

I made the transition to an IT job in Calgary and I know plenty of other expats who work in IT ... check out Workopolis and Monster.ca ... are there any jobs with his skillset?

He might have to be prepared to take something more junior and play catch up later once he has that wonderful Canadian experience and has earned his stripes .... I've also known people to walk straight into really good jobs ... that's part of the fun of being an immigrant

Old Oct 6th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Canadian employers have a mental impediment that prevents them from conceiving of a civilized world outside of Canada. This can be overcome with a combination of perseverence and good luck. .

The reason for "Canadian Experience" is that (wrightly or wrongly) employers believe that British management style and work environment is based on a "Command and Control" culture as a remnant of the class system.

This simply doesn't work in most Canadian workplaces.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 1:28 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by flashman
The reason for "Canadian Experience" is that (wrightly or wrongly) employers believe that British management style and work environment is based on a "Command and Control" culture as a remnant of the class system.

They also believe a submarine can be adrift in "the sea between Scotland and England".

Most Canadians seem to believe that the UK still has a fuedal system ... they also seriously think that Canada doesn't have a class system ... not even one based on money.

Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Most Canadians seem to believe that the UK still has a fuedal system ... they also seriously think that Canada doesn't have a class system ... not even one based on money.
At least the Canadian class system is more equitable afer all the "Queens" can be of either sex!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

This is not true, as the canadian experience requirement applies to all newcommers. Its just a basic form of protectionism/discrimination, depending on how you want to look at it. Also I think there is simply an element of comfort in the familiar for most employers.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:42 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I wonder why that attitude / stance is so prevalent amongst Canadian employers though?

Originally Posted by iaink
This is not true, as the canadian experience requirement applies to all newcommers. Its just a basic form of protectionism/discrimination, depending on how you want to look at it. Also I think there is simply an element of comfort in the familiar for most employers.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Hi here's what i have found out. There are two ways for you/ first is the straight to pr road and get jobs when there, or apply for registered nurse, they will request transcript of your training direct from school of nursing. Canada are only accepting degree nurses from dec2004, if successful you are given a temp licence you have to sit the crne exam within the year with or without job.

getting a job with the crne already passed would be advantageous. don't know how their community nursing works but your cardiac experience and itu stuff will be positively received back in itu, you will have to start at the bottom again though, i know a modern matron of a hospital in surrey working as a new starter in calgary!

I wouldn't recommend an agency, once registered talk to the hospital recruitment people, they are really helpful and forthcoming. they will guide you. make a canadian cv and they will send it round the nurse managers and if anyone interested they ring you. while this is happening apply for a work permit, this can be extanded yearly. the hospital will probably want to keep its investment and put you thru the nominee programme.

There is a british OR nurse in the nursing jobs forum in toronto i think, do a search and contact her.
Goodluck
Old Oct 7th 2004, 11:51 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Rhodes
I wonder why that attitude / stance is so prevalent amongst Canadian employers though?
A lot of Calgary's "immigrants" come from other provinces & cities ... I even know one Canadian IT guy who moved here from Edmonton and fell into the lack of local experience & contacts trap.

Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

This is not what it's about. Local hires are perceived to be less risky because it's much easier to judge their background.