Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Emigrating in 3 days, help!!!!

Wikiposts

Emigrating in 3 days, help!!!!

Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:25 am
Just Joined

boab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to all
Default Emigrating in 3 days, help!!!!

My Husband and I are due to relocate to the London, Ontario in 3 days time from the UK and I'm panicking as I have just realised I have not arranged any travel insurance or health cover for our move.

My other half is a full Canadian Citizen with dual British Nationality and has been in the UK for 11 years, would he be covered by Ontario Health Care straight away or would he also be barred for 3 months like I will be?

I was looking at Canadasure but as we have some pre-existing medical conditions they require a form to be filled out and sent to them before even buying insurance, that seems that would take too long and would probably mean no cover when we leave in 3 days (Thursday 21st 2014).

I'm guessing we still need oneway travel insurance to cover us in case of any trip difficulties.

I know there is probably tons of info on the site already but given I have left this to the last minute I can't spend time trawling the net for info as I have loads of things to do before we go. So I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on what to do.

I'm sure there will be many more posts to come after we get there, its going to fun I'm sure but right now I'm a bag of nerves.

Cheers

Rob
Old Aug 18th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating in 3 days, help!!!!

Your husband will need to wait out the 3 months before coverage begins..It looks like you'll be without cover but get the Canadasure application in as soon as possible. Travel insurance is certainly advisable.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy immigrants cover here, however with pre existing conditions, these may be precluded or the premium loaded. Look as Blue Cross

Travel insurance is OK if you can still buy it, however it will end when you arrive in Canada.

There may be a three-month waiting period for your OHIP coverage.
Generally speaking, if you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You may also be required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residence is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence).
If you are an eligible resident moving to Ontario from another part of Canada, the health insurance of your former province/territory may cover you during the waiting period for OHIP coverage.

Probably stating the obvious, but if you have medical conditions, this is quite an oversight.

This is not great coverage, but better than nothing. http://www.useblue.com/assurance-voy...grants.en.html

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 18th 2014 at 12:11 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Phone Canadasure and ask them. They are really helpful and will get back to you as soon as possible about the medical conditions. But don't delay.

I organised Canadasure the day before we flew out, and needed to double check for a medical condition for my husband (albeit a very straightforward one which doesn't need any ongoing treatment or whatever, but still something that had to be declared, but they were very helpful and got things done as soon as possible for me). Don't assume they can't help at such short notice

~Edited to add - the Canadasure policy includes your one way trip as well, so check with them before you go buying any additional one way policies. And also to say that Canadasure will basically need to check the medical condition with their underwriters, but if they know it's urgent they'll probably be able to get an answer for you asap. But MAKE SURE YOU CALL THEM FIRST THING IN THE MORNING.

Last edited by prairiechicken; Aug 18th 2014 at 12:32 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 1:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

CAA also do health insurance to cover this.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Emigration Travel Insurance | Emigration Policy - DUInsure as well, insure you for the travel part and up to 3 months in Canada (select one way then click the 'emigration' box).

Old Aug 19th 2014, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I can't add anything more than the helpful advice above, but when your feed touch the ground, give me a shout and we can meet up for a cuppa/coffee/beer if you like. Pack Whole Nut
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 9:50 am
Just Joined

boab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to allboab2791 is a name known to all
Talking Now in Canada!!!

Many thanks for all your helpful advice. We arranged one way travel insurance with Go Walkabout and then health coverage with Blue Cross. We did debate whether we really needed the travel insurance but ended up deciding it would be a wise choice.

@Dashie, thanks for the offer, I believe we brought whole nut!

@Aviator, thanks for your helpful info and yip it was quite an oversight especially as our conditions are easily managed with the meds we are on.

Well we did get here safely although the Air Transat plane didn't have dedicated air units above the seats so it was tad warm. They turned down the heat a few times but it didn't make much difference. The excuse from the staff was good though, the plane was not fitted with this by the previous carrier.

So we have had a busy 1st full day and have got our driving licences swapped over, OHIP in progress once we get additional paperwork, personal bank accounts set up in addition to our existing joint account and cellphones sorted out.

Next on list is start the job search process and get a vehicle to get around as we are currently living with my husband's folks in a remote village.

Then hopefully other things will start to fall into place.

Any advice on anything we may have forgotten or still need or indeed anything else will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're finding your feet a bit you've not said what your status is, but potentially a trip to Service Canada to get you a SIN for working?
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Forgot to add, got my SIN card last time we were here to activate my PR status. Not sure what you mean with Status update though.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

You hadn't said whether you had PR, or coming as a visitor pending PR. Your status is that you have PR
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Pretty big thing to leave out then. Have had PR status since late 2011, activated it late March 2012.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I can imagine your brain is a little frazzled right now, as long as you know where you are up to, I think that's the main thing