Emergency Passport!

Wikiposts

Emergency Passport!

Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Magica10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emergency Passport!

Hi Guys,

Bit of a odd question I suppose, I was supoosed to fly back to the UK for my Brothers wedding on May 14th I was going to book a last min flight due to work commitments but upon going through my passport info etc this weekend i realised my passport had run out back in June 2008!! I cant believe i didnt notice and feel a bit stupid, I have checked out the renewal info but it looks pretty slim i'd get it back in time as the wedding is 3 weeks away, has anyone applied for an emergency one before and if so what is needed to make this possible?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Passport!

Originally Posted by Magica10
Hi Guys,

Bit of a odd question I suppose, I was supoosed to fly back to the UK for my Brothers wedding on May 14th I was going to book a last min flight due to work commitments but upon going through my passport info etc this weekend i realised my passport had run out back in June 2008!! I cant believe i didnt notice and feel a bit stupid, I have checked out the renewal info but it looks pretty slim i'd get it back in time as the wedding is 3 weeks away, has anyone applied for an emergency one before and if so what is needed to make this possible?

Thanks!
You can go somewhere in Canada and get a temporary one for a year - my friend did it a couple of years ago
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magica10
Hi Guys,

Thanks!
What country passport? British, Canadian etc?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Magica10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im a Brit, I hold a British Passport am here in ontario on a work visa
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't think there was such a thing as an emergency passport for Brits anymore? Are you sure they still do them?

Edit: never mind, have just had a quick look at the UKIP website and they do do them - last time I tried was for my old boss and he couldn't one, but it was just after 9/11 and I think they clamped down and stopped doing them for a while. Looks as though you can still get them - although it does say you have to go to an office in person in the UK, but sure there must be a way of getting one if abroad as well!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 26th 2009 at 6:12 am.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:44 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Didn't think there was such a thing as an emergency passport for Brits anymore? Are you sure they still do them?

Edit: never mind, have just had a quick look at the UKIP website and they do do them - last time I tried was for my old boss and he couldn't one, but it was just after 9/11 and I think they clamped down and stopped doing them for a while. Looks as though you can still get them - although it does say you have to go to an office in person in the UK, but sure there must be a way of getting one if abroad as well!
There is no mechanism for your local consul to give you an emergency passport anymore. At one time you could go to the embassy in Ottawa in person and get one within 48hrs. Now that passports are processed in Washington DC that route may no longer exist.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
There is no mechanism for your local consul to give you an emergency passport anymore. At one time you could go to the embassy in Ottawa in person and get one within 48hrs. Now that passports are processed in Washington DC that route may no longer exist.
Sorry, looks like your chances of getting an 'emergency travel document' as they call it is pretty slim as your passport wasn't lost or stolen and you are not travelling in the next 5 days.

https://ukinusa-stage.fco.gov.uk/en/...ergency-travel

BUT I recently applied for and got my passport from Washington in about 3 weeks recently so if you get your's off quickly you never know (there is a place to put your travel date on the application) and I think you can pay extra for faster delivery.