Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

emergency medical treatment canada

emergency medical treatment canada

Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:02 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emergency medical treatment canada

Originally Posted by Rete
If they will see you at all. I got sick while on vacation in Halifax the hospital refused to see me even though I had the money to pay and US healthcare. Told me to go to a walk in clinic. Cost a fortune and the doctor refused to give me the meds I would have received in the States and I still had bronchotis when I returned home 6 days later and had to be placed on the right meds.

This both surprizes and disappoints me. I would have expected better of our health system. Spoke to my niece who manages a large walk-in clinic and she stated that you would have received much better accomodation from their doctors. You would have been expected to pay and would have received appropriate medication prescription. Hopefully your experience was isolated.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
I know of people who travel without insurance and proudly tally up how much they have saved, that can soon be lost in one incident. They do buy lottery tickets though, but never mention how much they lost. I believe the chances of having an accident or illness while traveling are higher than winning the lottery.
I've worked all over the US over a period of twenty years. And not infrequently, one year I was 260 nights in US hotel rooms. I've also worked in Australia, Saudi, Singapore, Malaysia, several European countries. I've also parachuted, dived and flown extensively in light planes in the US. I've never had health insurance. I reckon I'm ahead.

My OH was here for a couple of years without insurance and without OHIP. She was admitted to hospital once, Toronto East General, in an emergency, it was surprisingly inexpensive.

I think going without insurance is a rational choice. I don't think though that it's a good choice for old people which is why I found the broker mentioned above for my parents.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

nickyca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poollounger
This is what Canadians on vacation in the UK would receive as a minimum on the UK NHS.
That's not true. Non UK residents are billed by the NHS for any NHS treatment, including emergency treatment in A&E. They will not be refused treatment, but will definitely have to pay for it.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I have just priced up insurance for my parent's.....dad is 94 and mum is 83 this month.

Both have had previous heart attacks and mum has angina.
They wanted to come out for 3 months.

I was quoted $1500 for the full 3 months. Their only conditions were that they would not insure for anything that they had been hospitalized for in the last year.

This was with Matheson Insurance

www.mathesoninsurance.ca

When my parent's travel here in 2005 we used ING they too seem to go by the same principles, although I have not priced them this time, as unfortunately dad is not able to travel now.

It was quite funny ringing around last time......I would say dad's d.o.b and there would be a long silence, then they would repeat it back to me. I even had one that told me he was amazed dad was alive, let alone travelling. I had to laugh and told him he was still playing on a darts team
Just as well I don't get offended easily.

Good luck.

Linda
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've worked all over the US over a period of twenty years. And not infrequently, one year I was 260 nights in US hotel rooms. I've also worked in Australia, Saudi, Singapore, Malaysia, several European countries. I've also parachuted, dived and flown extensively in light planes in the US. I've never had health insurance. I reckon I'm ahead.

My OH was here for a couple of years without insurance and without OHIP. She was admitted to hospital once, Toronto East General, in an emergency, it was surprisingly inexpensive.

I think going without insurance is a rational choice. I don't think though that it's a good choice for old people which is why I found the broker mentioned above for my parents.
All depends on your risk threshold.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on your risk threshold.
Absolutely. I have a colleague who lives in Virginia (it's his planes I've flown in) who has a wife and two small children and no health insurance. Coverage would be very expensive, so he's reconciled himself to the idea that "if something serious happens, we'll sell the beach house". This terrifies me but it's not an uncommon attitude among middling affluent Americans.

Ironically, when I used to smoke, he wouldn't be in the room with me while I was smoking for fear of instant cancer.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:48 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Absolutely. I have a colleague who lives in Virginia (it's his planes I've flown in) who has a wife and two small children and no health insurance. Coverage would be very expensive, so he's reconciled himself to the idea that "if something serious happens, we'll sell the beach house". This terrifies me but it's not an uncommon attitude among middling affluent Americans.

Ironically, when I used to smoke, he wouldn't be in the room with me while I was smoking for fear of instant cancer.
I have a low risk threshold, which I guess is just as well in my job. I never travel without insurance and in 20 years have never needed it, but still would not travel without it.

Then I fly aerobatics on time off. Not in the bus though
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:21 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Then I fly aerobatics on time off. Not in the bus though
Aww why not?

Once rode in the jump seat on a fam flight, closest we got to aerobatics was a series of fairly steep s-turns as the crew demonstrated how the auto-pilot would search for a VOR radial.

Best/worst part of that trip was the flight attendant spilled coffee in my lap and then proceeded to wipe it up.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Tikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant futureTikvah has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Re: emergency medical treatment canada

I have elderly family wishing to visit a sister in Vancouver,travelling from the UK. A married couple of 79 and 83. In very good health.. they went with me for a two mile walk over the Lancashire moors a week ago, they do have mild arrythmia and angina. The cheapest insurace quote I can find that will cover them for existing condtions is almost £1200. If they travelled without it would they get any emergency treatment should they need it, perhaps enough to stabilise themtill they return home ? This is what Canadians on vacation in the UK would receive as a minimum on the UK NHS.
WARNING a relatives bill came to just over 1million Canadian dollars when he took ill in Canada about 5 years ago. He had paid just 35 UK pounds less than $70 for it. Yes the insurance company balked at paying but they did. I have been travelling to Canada for 35 years and always bought insurance. Never had to use it but it paid for itself in peace of mind.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:08 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nickyca
That's not true. Non UK residents are billed by the NHS for any NHS treatment, including emergency treatment in A&E. They will not be refused treatment, but will definitely have to pay for it.
That's not what is said on the website I looked at. Also in theory that might be what it says, but in reality getting them to pay might be another thing altogether. I know, my sister worked as a duty manager in a hospital.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:12 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda P
I have just priced up insurance for my parent's.....dad is 94 and mum is 83 this month.

Both have had previous heart attacks and mum has angina.
They wanted to come out for 3 months.

I was quoted $1500 for the full 3 months. Their only conditions were that they would not insure for anything that they had been hospitalized for in the last year.

This was with Matheson Insurance

www.mathesoninsurance.ca

When my parent's travel here in 2005 we used ING they too seem to go by the same principles, although I have not priced them this time, as unfortunately dad is not able to travel now.

It was quite funny ringing around last time......I would say dad's d.o.b and there would be a long silence, then they would repeat it back to me. I even had one that told me he was amazed dad was alive, let alone travelling. I had to laugh and told him he was still playing on a darts team
Just as well I don't get offended easily.

Good luck.

Linda
Thanks Linda. I think it's different because you are living there and they are visiting you. I tried a different Canadian company suggested by someone else and they didn't qualify. I can get them covered, including pre-existing conditions, for around £1200, it just seems a lot, and they may prefer to spend the money on a holiday in Europe where they would be covered by the E101.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Linda. I think it's different because you are living there and they are visiting you. I tried a different Canadian company suggested by someone else and they didn't qualify. I can get them covered, including pre-existing conditions, for around £1200, it just seems a lot, and they may prefer to spend the money on a holiday in Europe where they would be covered by the E101.
When I got their coverage in 2005 I was just a visitor to Canada...they didn't even ask what my status was, in fact I had to ask them to take my address and send me the paperwork. They were going to send it all to the UK.

Good luck anyway.

Linda
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:42 pm

Thanks Linda I will e-mail them. Nickyca...I checked with my sister who worked at a large hospital here in the midlands. Anyone fetching up at casualty (A & E) would be treated and stabilised free of charge in the UK. If they need to be admitted then their insurance kicks in, or they are asked to pay. The reality is that the honest ones do pay, but many people just disappear. This happened with a heart patient who had £30,000 of surgery then just vanished. The doctors never refuse to treat and put a life at risk, it's left to the administrators to chase the bills.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:07 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

That's not what is said on the website I looked at. Also in theory that might be what it says, but in reality getting them to pay might be another thing altogether. I know, my sister worked as a duty manager in a hospital.
I was in the hospital, accross from me was an Amarican lady who was rather demanding and a pain for everyone in the ward, however she soon did a runner when they asked her how long she'd been in the UK and that she would have to pay for her 'Confinement' Their words not mine, we were on the maternity ward!