Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Email Transfer

Email Transfer

Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:22 am
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough
Default Email Transfer

Hi there I just wondered when people move how did you sort your email account out. I have my main email which is part of my internet service provider. Have had it for years. I am bit worried about when I close my internet account how do I get all my emails and everything to do with emails transfered to another email box. How did others sort this little prob out.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:29 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Email Transfer

I have been in Nova Scotia since January and still use my btinternet account. When I got in contact to cancel our contract when moving they said I could still use it.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:44 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Hi there I just wondered when people move how did you sort your email account out. I have my main email which is part of my internet service provider. Have had it for years. I am bit worried about when I close my internet account how do I get all my emails and everything to do with emails transfered to another email box. How did others sort this little prob out.
Is your email stored on your PC or do you access it via the internet?

If you use Outlook/Thunderbird type clients, your mail will be on your PC and will come with you - you can then add a new email address to that system.

If your mail is with your ISP (via the www) the best thing to do is to download it into something like outlook so you can bring it with you...

Who is your UK ISP?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:31 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I switched all my ISP based email off that account and updated everyone to my Gmail account quite a while ago. I keep catching some I haven't updated but then inform them and switch it.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:33 pm
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

My main email is with bt who are my internet provider right now. When I move there I will be without internet till I sort my self out. But my bt email I really want to keep but I guess if I quit my broadband service I lose my email address. I guess will just have to do my best to save everything and inform as many people as possible. Theres also so many websites I have joined with my main email address. I am worried will forget to log in and update my email on some of them and then end up missing loads of important emails.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

sixofus! is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we changed from bt a while back to someone else and we still use our bt email address have done for a year now, no one ever said anything about not being able to, and it all works fine !xx
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:43 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I had virgin.net broadband and they advised that once I stopped paying for broadband my email account would close fairly shortly afterwards. However, it certainly was still valid last summer when I idly checked it. (this was 2 years after moving over!). Before I left I forwarded emails to a yahoo webmail account I had created. Here, I have internet access through Rogers Yahoo so that worked out pretty well as I could check both forwarded emails from my UK account and Canadian emails using yahoo webmail. It's worth noting that most of the spam I got was from my UK email account. So last year I blocked it completely. After 2 years everyone who knows me and wants to stay in touch has my new email addy in any event.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest that you get an email address independent of the service provider and use a client program (Thunderbird is ok and free to download) that runs on your pc. Service providers in Canada are quite localized and, if you move, you'll have to change address again.

I know this because my OH converted all her many previous addresses to a rogers one and then we moved house outside the rogers area and I heard a great deal of bitching about it! gmail is good and, I think, allows pop3 clients.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:09 pm
Your goto Realtor

whats a good email account. Hotmail is no good as it does not save emails in sent box and I dont like it in general. My bt yahoo email account has been great. I have used it through me bt yahoo web browser and all works perfect compared to many other email account like hotmail,mail.com which I dont like. Any suggestions for ones I should sign up with.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:10 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Your Yahoo! account should be just fine, although you may want to take a look at Gmail.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

whats a good email account. Hotmail is no good as it does not save emails in sent box and I dont like it in general. My bt yahoo email account has been great. I have used it through me bt yahoo web browser and all works perfect compared to many other email account like hotmail,mail.com which I dont like. Any suggestions for ones I should sign up with.
Try GMail from Google it saves your sent mail.

Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:23 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love gmail. It has a 2Gb online message store and you can POP using Thunderbird to have a local copy at home. I use the online version while traveling and as a backup.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:43 pm
Your goto Realtor

I will take a look at Gmail see what its like. Thanks guys for advice. My bt one they said when I cancel my broadband account there is a way to keep email via a pay sceme. I could do that but then if its gonna cost be easier and better to change over. So might look into gmail as my other email address with hotmail and mail.com are rubbish and dont like it.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:09 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't pay anything for keeping my btinternet email account open. I just log on at www.btinternet.com and thats it.

I will eventually change to our provider here sometime soon I think (once the big move across the pond is a bit more of a distant memory )
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

I will take a look at Gmail see what its like. Thanks guys for advice. My bt one they said when I cancel my broadband account there is a way to keep email via a pay sceme. I could do that but then if its gonna cost be easier and better to change over. So might look into gmail as my other email address with hotmail and mail.com are rubbish and dont like it.
Hi,

Gmail is great, and you'll be able to set it up to download your messages from your BT/Yahoo account too, but it's invite only. I can send you an invitation if you PM me your BT email address?

Alex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.