Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'ello, ello--it's ol' misery guts again!!

'ello, ello--it's ol' misery guts again!!

Old Apr 29th 2005, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'ello, ello--it's ol' misery guts again!!

hi, all! i was asked a question about canadian immigration yesterday, and having lived there for some 5 - 6 mths, i wasnt able to answer him--oh, the shame of it all!! the question was: once someone has got their landed status, ie PR and SIN cards etc, how long is the landed status valid for? i heard when i was in canada, that as long as you come back to canada at least once or twice a year, stay for a couple of weeks, then go back to wherever you have come from, your status will remain valid (but of course you will not become a citizen unless you complete 3 full years in canada). another thing i heard was that as long as you spend a total of 2 years (which can be like 1 month this year, 5 mnths next year etc etc), out of 5 years, you can still retain the landed status. which of these is true, please?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 11:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'ello, ello--it's ol' misery guts again!!

Originally Posted by julius smith
hi, all! i was asked a question about canadian immigration yesterday, and having lived there for some 5 - 6 mths, i wasnt able to answer him--oh, the shame of it all!! the question was: once someone has got their landed status, ie PR and SIN cards etc, how long is the landed status valid for? i heard when i was in canada, that as long as you come back to canada at least once or twice a year, stay for a couple of weeks, then go back to wherever you have come from, your status will remain valid (but of course you will not become a citizen unless you complete 3 full years in canada). another thing i heard was that as long as you spend a total of 2 years (which can be like 1 month this year, 5 mnths next year etc etc), out of 5 years, you can still retain the landed status. which of these is true, please?
You need to read this link from the CIC website on keeping your PR:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

On citizenship they look for 3 years (in total - not necessarily as one block) within a 4 year 'window' before application, so your time in Canada may still count depending on when you return to Canada.

Jeremy
Old Apr 29th 2005, 12:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julius,

You have to be here two years out of the first 5, and then two years total out of any rolling 5 year period after that to maintain your PR status.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

ta, iaink and JAJ. i was gonna send you guys PMs but this was the easy way out!! besides, the beers beckon!!

Originally Posted by iaink
Hi Julius,

You have to be here two years out of the first 5, and then two years total out of any rolling 5 year period after that to maintain your PR status.