Reload this Page >

Eligibility for OHIP

Eligibility for OHIP

Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

bertclark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eligibility for OHIP

Hello!

I am planning to land in Canada on the 4th of November, I'm just wondering about health insurance. I previously lived in Toronto for a year on a BUNAC visa, so will I be eligible for OHIP or will I still have to stay there for 3 months again before I can get one? I will have been out of the country for about 5 months. I didn't ever apply for it when I was living there because I had a year-long heath insurance policy already.

Thanks!

Last edited by bertclark; Oct 9th 2010 at 1:05 am. Reason: Clarity
Old Oct 9th 2010, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Eligibility for OHIP

Also, what about insurance for the flight? The airline I am flying with says it's mandatory to have travel insurance, but I would only need it for the flight, just for one day, what has everyone else done about this?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What airline says insurance is mandatory? Never come across that one. If the pax wants to chance it and travel uninsured, that's their problem. If you want insurance you would buy travel insurance, which covers you until you exit from airside.

You will have to wait out the 3 months for OHIP, so may want to arrange newcomers insurance. Having lived in ON before makes no difference, only moving from another province if you are registered there, will you be covered by that province for the 3 months. On Bunac you don't qualify for OHIP, that's why you had to have other coverage.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

With Canadian Affair/Air transat it's mandatory - wouldn't usually book through them but Air Canada and British Airways are over £700 for a one way flight which is absolutely ridiculous!

I'm pretty sure you can get OHIP when in Ontario on a BUNAC visa, at least they told us we could at the induction!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bertclark
With Canadian Affair/Air transat it's mandatory - wouldn't usually book through them but Air Canada and British Airways are over £700 for a one way flight which is absolutely ridiculous!

I'm pretty sure you can get OHIP when in Ontario on a BUNAC visa, at least they told us we could at the induction!
Doesn't matter about BUNAC - you still have to wait 3 months for OHIP coverage so arrange private insurance until it kicks in.

Also, sometimes a return ticket is actually cheaper than a one-way ticket - in which case you could purchase a return ticket and just not use the return flight.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines do not insist on you having insurance although they like to sell it, Canadian Affair say 'We strongly recommend that our Travel Insurance is taken out at the time of booking'
http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/abo...conditions.asp

Pretty sure on Bunac you won't qualify for OHIP, which is why Bunac insist in seeing your insurance coverage before you leave.

'Flights & Insurance

Do I have to take BUNAC’s insurance policy?

No, you can arrange your own insurance but we must see confirmation of your policy before your work authorisation is released to you. Your insurance must offer adequate cover for your stay in Canada. Eg.provide medical and baggage cover, cover you for working and include repatriation to the UK.'
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

With Canadian Affair/Air transat it's mandatory
No it's not.

wouldn't usually book through them but Air Canada and British Airways are over £700 for a one way flight which is absolutely ridiculous!
Did you consider a return ticket and eating half of it?

You can't.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 3:23 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I just recently returned to Canada after having lived in Oz for the past 3 years. I was born in Canada and am a Canadian citizen. Since I moved to Ontario from out of the country I still have to wait 3 months.

So the short answer is no... you'll have to wait 3 months for OHIP, assuming of course you're eligible for it now.