Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Elevator People"

"Elevator People"

Old Nov 16th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Elevator People"

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
Ahh you can tell its nearly friday. Toffee packers and germans, fantastic stuff.
Sounds like a good title for a thread
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
something to do with "The Omen" I think ?? :scared:
You mean The Omen II (considerably less scary but a lot more gory).

My sister-in-law is terrified of lifts, thinking that she would fall to her death if the cable broke. It was in 1857 that Mr. Otis demonstrated a design that wouldn't fall if the cable broke. He had to tour the US showing people these things were safe. Times haven't changed, have they?

K.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Could more appropriately be "Escalator People"
Doubly ironic phrase because it kind of turns the joke back on the joker, doesn't it? The people are too stupid to walk up the stairs, yet the joker is too stupid to tell the difference between an elevator and an escalator.

K.

Last edited by kt0157; Nov 16th 2006 at 11:59 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:19 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157

My sister-in-law is terrified of lifts, thinking that she would fall to her death if the cable broke. It was in 1857 that Mr. Otis demonstrated a design that wouldn't fall if the cable broke. He had to tour the US showing people these things were safe. Times haven't changed, have they?

K.
Was it The Omen II? The only bit I remember was the lift scene! And it wasn't the fall that killed the character, it was the cable cutting him in half ..... that's why I keep near the sides!

I think I must have been of a delicate age whan I saw it.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Was it The Omen II? The only bit I remember was the lift scene! And it wasn't the fall that killed the character, it was the cable cutting him in half ..... that's why I keep near the sides!
Yeah, it was the sequel (I only remember this because I happened to chance on this very scene while channel hopping on the 31st October).

K.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:38 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
Ahh you can tell its nearly friday. Toffee packers and germans, fantastic stuff.
just don't mention the war.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
just don't mention the war.
I mentioned it once but i think i got away with it!!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 1:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157

K.
Tell that to the many people who plumeted to their death in the WTC elevators when the cables were sheared.

"The four survivors — two each from adjacent elevators — were in elevators that plunged and were stopped by the emergency brakes 6 to 10 feet above the lobby floor. About 40 people died in those two elevators."

Last edited by iaink; Nov 17th 2006 at 1:31 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's a bit of a garbled article, unfortunately (hardly unique for journalists these days). I can see how an elevator plummets when it's been smashed up by an explosion from a jet, but just cutting the cables should not allow the car to fall: the mechanical interlocks should prevent that. If there weren't any mechanical interlocks then the design wasn't safe.

K.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by iaink
Anyone else run into this phrase?

I thought it was hilarously appropriate...once it was explained to me.

Is this just a canadian thing, or is it even more local than that?

Cant be just a canadian thing, Ive never heard it before you mentioned it.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:32 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Cant be just a canadian thing, Ive never heard it before you mentioned it.
I heard someone use it when I was in TO last week, but not over this end of the world so far.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dingbat
I heard someone use it when I was in TO last week, but not over this end of the world so far.

I guess like everything else, we're always the last to know....!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess like everything else, we're always the last to know....!
Well as Rich says BC is not a place it's a state of mind, and if your mind wanders every now and again it's not our fault you're the last to know.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hangman
Well as Rich says BC is not a place it's a state of mind, and if your mind wanders every now and again it's not our fault you're the last to know.

Its the second hand smoke from the folks smoking pot!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its the second hand smoke from the folks smoking pot!
Cheaper than buying it yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.