Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Elementary and Secondary Schooling

Elementary and Secondary Schooling

Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of
Default Elementary and Secondary Schooling

Hi,

I was under the impression that children moving over to Canada, BC attending Elementary and Secondary Schools do not need to apply for a Study Permit.

Having read more info on the Site today, I am now not entirely sure this is right. I've tried looking up further information of the procedures on a Canadian Site, but no age's have been mentioned.

So my question is, do children of 6yrs and 9yrs need to apply for a Permit, or are the Permits just for Higher Education only ?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elementary and Secondary Schooling

Originally Posted by Katie76
Hi,

I was under the impression that children moving over to Canada, BC attending Elementary and Secondary Schools do not need to apply for a Study Permit.

Having read more info on the Site today, I am now not entirely sure this is right. I've tried looking up further information of the procedures on a Canadian Site, but no age's have been mentioned.

So my question is, do children of 6yrs and 9yrs need to apply for a Permit, or are the Permits just for Higher Education only ?
What's the status of the parent/guardian in Canada?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

I'm their mummy moving over with my partner (their daddy) who will be on a TWP for the time being.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:43 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm their mummy moving over with my partner (their daddy) who will be on a TWP for the time being.
If you are here on a TWP your kids will have to have study permits to attend school (and they have to attend school if they are school age). You dont need to apply for them if you are permanent residents.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

It's my understanding that children of TWP holders do not require study permits. I asked for study permits for my kids at POE (Calgary) when I got my SOWP (Husband was already here on TWP), but the immigration officers told me we didn't need them. My SOWP actually states that my children are entitled to attend any primary or secondary school in Canada. They have since been registered for school with no problem.

Hope that helps.

MrsDV
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:11 am
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsDV
It's my understanding that children of TWP holders do not require study permits. I asked for study permits for my kids at POE (Calgary) when I got my SOWP (Husband was already here on TWP), but the immigration officers told me we didn't need them. My SOWP actually states that my children are entitled to attend any primary or secondary school in Canada. They have since been registered for school with no problem.

Hope that helps.

MrsDV
As are ours.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:16 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D15NEY
As are ours.
It could have changed to be honest - certainly in 2006 we had to get study permits. We applied without them initially but they wrote to us and said we had to apply for study permits before they would issue the TWP. However we also didnt have an open work permit for my OH - it could be that they automatically include it on that.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

who will be on a TWP for the time being.
I don't know where in BC you're going but I looked at the Vancouver school board and under Q31 of their FAQ they say:-

If I have a Work Permit to work in Canada, can my child go to school without paying tuition fees? Do I need to apply for a study permit for my child?

Your child can go to a public school in Vancouver as a non-fee paying student if you have a valid work permit and its expiry date is at least 1 calendar year from the day you register your child at the Reception Centre. Your child does not need his or her own study permit.

http://www.vsb.bc.ca/parentsfamilies...chool/FAQS.htm
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:59 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

I think this has been one of those " grey" areas. From what I remember about things Judy has saidin the past as well as others, some people have had problems getting their kids into school on a TWP without the SP. It has been a hassle and the school board / school wasnt sure etc all causing delays in kids getting into school. I also know of people who have applied for TWP to London and had their app returned saying they NEED SP for the kids. Although " officially" i dont think you need them, many people have got them anyway as it can save a whole heap of messing round at the other end, and kids being out of school longer than they need to be ( which dopesnt help with the settling process) It seems to depend on where your going in canada and even right down to the indevidual school.
We got them to save the hassle, for the sake of about £150 its not worth the risk