Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Elementary / Primary schools - Victoria, BC

Elementary / Primary schools - Victoria, BC

Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

boybiskit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Elementary / Primary schools - Victoria, BC

Quick bit of advice please! After a year of searching I finally have a job interview. Problem? Having put our sights on Vancouver, the job is in Victoria.

A night of searching around and talking to friends in BC has me convinced it's still a good idea but... no-one seems to know about schools.

So: does anyone know which schools / areas to aim for (or avoid!?) - it would be a big part of the decision to where we'd live. I'd be commuting into Victoria.

Slight aside... I've not been to Vancouver Island for about 10 years. My god the place is beautiful!

Thanks for any help as always
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:22 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elementary / Primary schools - Victoria, BC

My two daughters went through Tillicum Elementary School and I never had any issues and they seem to have turned out alright

My impression from living there is that schools are schools in which you will get some good teachers and some bad (didn't mind that my kids experienced both). Once they get to high school you usually pick the one that matches your kid needs, athletic vs the arts vs sciences, etc.

Usually your kid will go to school in the area that you decide to live - helps with making friends unless you don't mind driving them across town for "play dates".

About the only place I was a little leary of sending my kids to school would be Esquimalt, all the other areas should be good. Langford is another area that has a lot of younger families with newer schools as the area boomed a few years ago when house prices got crazy in Victoria.

Hope that helps
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, I wouldn't put too much worry into which elementary school they go to. They're all more or less the same. Focus on a neighbourhood that suits your family's needs - the school will suit you as well.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

loety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really nice

Hi,
Our daughter goes to Sir James Douglas. It's on the corner of Fairfield road and Moss street.We are very happy with the school.
Loetitia
Old Dec 19th 2012, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

boybiskit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for replies so far. Broadly my take on it that our kids would have a much better chance at life in BC generally, but just wanted to hear about others experience too.

Fingers crossed for 3 Jan - seems to be my only option at the moment with the new skilled wokrer scheme set to write me off again!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

calgeo is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in Gordonhead and the elementary school and middle school are both fantastic.... They are torquay elementary and Gordonhead middle school. Gordonhead is a lovely, family friendly neighbourhood but then a lot of victoria is like this but we love it here. It's within walking distance to mount doug park, the ocean and lots of good facilities such as the rec centre and both schools are a two minute walk away. Esquimalt is worth avoiding if you can and I am not overly keen on Langford but that's just personal preference......... We only head out that way for costco or canadian superstore.