Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electricity usage really high

Electricity usage really high

Old Aug 22nd 2019, 1:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity usage really high

One upside to apartment dwelling, electric costs tend to be low. $43 last month, no a/c though but electric oven, washer/dryer.

Last summer when we had a portable a/c unit looks like our bill was $57/month average Jun to end of Aug, highest bill tends to be Dec & Jan around $65 per month average.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Similar pattern here

You may be surprised at how much the AC costs. When we first moved our monthly bills were around $170 but when we used AC most days around $350 and $450 when heating used.

Heat pump system
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a ranch (bungalow) with a basement (of course), probably 1700 sq ft above grade in London ON. Use AC, electric DW, washing machine, but gas water heater and gas heating. Electric consumption is:

Mar 2019: 1056kwh
Apr 2019: 502kwh
May 2019: 501kwh
Jun 2019: 1000kwh

Ooops - forgot to mention we have a hot tub that we switched off while we went to the UK for 3 weeks between April and May!

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Aug 22nd 2019 at 2:47 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caro90
This is the water heater.

​​​​​​
Automatic storage heater... Gas type "natural". So would that still use (a lot of) electricity? 🤔
That is a gas water heater and shouldn't use much electricity. It is likely the air conditioner that is using the power.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Caro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
That is a gas water heater and shouldn't use much electricity. It is likely the air conditioner that is using the power.
Thank you
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 2:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I have gone around the house and closed around five unnecessarily open dampers. They are pretty rubbish (old?) though so there is still some air coming through. Do you think it would be worthwhile standing a box on top of those vents just to make sure they're properly blocked?
Coincidentally I read something about that a few days ago. It can help...but not on the return ones that don't blow

...even when it is not on as in blowing out air, it still made a noise. It was on an auto setting which said it would blow out cold air for at least 5 mins per hour, whatever that means.
This is where you think to yourself "It's set to cool down to 23c and it's only going to use up power when it's blowing cool air" but is in fact still running.

It's not using as much electrickery when not blowing but still using some. The outside unit thingy stops and starts even if no air is blowing at those times for example.

Ceiling fans are supposed to be good for circulating the air (when heating or cooling) allowing a lower or higher setting.

Other things to do include window blinds to keep the heat from the sun out of rooms. When you've been here in the winter and you can feel the heat from the sun through the windows, even though it's 30 below outside, you get to appreciate how much heat you can feel from the sun and that tells you blocking it out (shame though that may be) helps keeping the room cooler.

I have also found that turning the AC off completely, keeping the windows closed, you can maintain a comfortable temperature for a few hours anyway. This will depend on outside humidity and whether the sun is up yet or whether you're in an extended period of humidity/heat. You just have to experiment and be flexible.

I find AC is sometimes needed for the night only (for sleeping), other times for evening only with the outside air cooling things off for night and then there are days when it may be on 24/7 for an extended period.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 22nd 2019 at 2:29 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for some perspective, I am currently living in my RV (around 350sqft) in NW Florida. My electric bill for last month was $256 for 1516 kwh. We have 2 roof-mounted A/C units which run continuously during the day and cycle on/off at night.

Air conditioning is expensive.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Caro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond reputeCaro90 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Coincidentally I read something about that a few days ago. It can help...but not on the return ones that don't blow

This is where you think to yourself "It's set to cool down to 23c and it's only going to use up power when it's blowing cool air" but is in fact still running.

It's not using as much electrickery when not blowing but still using some. The outside unit thingy stops and starts even if no air is blowing at those times for example.

Ceiling fans are supposed to be good for circulating the air (when heating or cooling) allowing a lower or higher setting.

Other things to do include window blinds to keep the heat from the sun out of rooms. When you've been here in the winter and you can feel the heat from the sun through the windows, even though it's 30 below outside, you get to appreciate how much heat you can feel from the sun and that tells you blocking it out (shame though that may be) helps keeping the room cooler.

I have also found that turning the AC off completely, keeping the windows closed, you can maintain a comfortable temperature for a few hours anyway. This will depend on outside humidity and whether the sun is up yet or whether you're in an extended period of humidity/heat. You just have to experiment and be flexible.

I find AC is sometimes needed for the night only (for sleeping), other times for evening only with the outside air cooling things off for night and then there are days when it may be on 24/7 for an extended period.
Yep exactly that! We have now done it so the aircon cools down the house (a little more than we used to before) in the evening when off peak kicks in and then turn it off completely when we go to bed (rather than leaving it on auto with a high max temp so it won't come on) and then we usually don't need it on again until the following evening. I guess it helps that it is currently a little cooler outside, even during the day.

Good point re the blinds as well. I used to open them all, especially downstairs, when I got up in the morning to let lots of light in. Now I keep them closed on the east side until the sun has disappeared around the corner.

We have been experimenting like this a bit and it seems to have done the trick! I have been taking an electricity reading every 24 hours for 3 days now, and for the latest 24 hour period the usage has reduced from around 40 kwh to 22 kwh! I am very chuffed with this if we can keep it up and stay comfortable!
Old Aug 24th 2019, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

That water heater uses zero electricity as there is no electrical supply connected to it.

But it looks like it is or has been leaking water but the stains on the floor, would recommend you get someone to check it out

Last edited by Mike Gas; Aug 24th 2019 at 5:49 am.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 6:21 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

This may be a bit of how long is a piece of string but I am wondering if anyone has any advice or experience on this.

We moved to Ottawa a couple of months ago and I noticed that our electricity bill seemed relatively high. I then noticed that we used 1,111 kwh of electricity in 29 days which is around 3 times as much as we did in the UK.

We haven't changed any habits or anything like that. We try to use the air con as little as possible and when it's cheaper ie off peak. We charge laptops and phones, and do our washing overnight when it's cheaper etc. We had the hot water tank on medium high before so turned that down to low in case it made a difference but we still used 44 kwh in 24 hours.

The house is a 4 bed place with a basement. There is me, my husband and our toddler. We are sort of at a loose end now as to what could use so much electricity. Also, interestingly, even though all the electricity we consciously use (like charging stuff etc) is off peak, the usage of off, mid and on peak electricity is as if we did not try to use it at off peak at all. That makes me think it's something that's on permanently...

Sorry for the rambling! I hope that makes some sense. Thank you!
The basics first, have you checked whats printed on your bill against the electricity meter? Just like the utility companies back home some Canadian providers also love to calculate bills based on estimates.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
That water heater uses zero electricity as there is no electrical supply connected to it.

But it looks like it is or has been leaking water but the stains on the floor, would recommend you get someone to check it out
Thanks, will do. I hadn't even noticed!
Old Aug 26th 2019, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Edo
The basics first, have you checked whats printed on your bill against the electricity meter? Just like the utility companies back home some Canadian providers also love to calculate bills based on estimates.
Yep that's why I took some daily readings and it ties up.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

We found the same when we moved to Canada- its also to do with the fact that the electricity voltage system is different and less efficient than the 240V system in the UK. We used to use 750KW a quarter in the UK and we use that a month over here.