Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to move to Canada!

Wikiposts

Electrician wanting to move to Canada!

Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Olib1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician wanting to move to Canada!

Ok, so which ones would i have to send:

Apprenticeship certificate
Exam certificates
NVQ lvl 3 certificate
17th edition certificate

How do I prove my 1 or more years experiance?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

bozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nice

Send? To CIC to get your PR? All that you listed, will get you a PR visa in Canada providing you have enough points etc
time you actually get there 9000 hrs, 72 months =6 years you should have that in 2 years? Give the details to ITBC when you get there. Work as a mate for 6 months, study, take red seal: bobs your uncle.
If I'm wrong on this everyone, please correct me. Wouldn't wanna give this dude Ill communication.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future

Hi there,

Having entered Toronto as a skilled worker (Electrician) after securing PR visa, I took letters from previous employers back in Scotland indicating all the skills that I had and the number of hours that I actually worked as an Electrician with that company. I was well over the 9000 hrs.

In Toronto I took all my trade certificates to the Ministry of Training offices, (17th Edd) would not interest them, and all of the letters from previous employers. I actually said to my employers back in Scotland if they would mind if I wrote out a letter as I could make sure I got all relavent information on it, then they could look over it and type it out on company headed paper and most were happy with that. I didn't lie about any info on the letters but it's a way of making sure nothing is left out.

At the Ministry of Training offices I was approved to sit the Certificate of Qualification Electrical test and was posted out a temporary licence for three month.

I understood that I could sit the Red Seal exam after the C of Q test and did not know that you could try and get in with a company as a 4th year apprentice to give you Canadian Experience before attempting the C of Q test.

Getting familiarised with the Canadian way regards Electrical work would be a great help in passing the test as it a little different.

Gary.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:12 am
Just Joined

So what is the minimum 1 year exp for? Is that to get PR or to take the Provincial exam? And what is the 9000 hours for? Is that to do red seal?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

We applied for PR 3 years ago and meds done Jan/April 2010, still waiting!!!

My husband is an Electrician, had to prove the 9000hrs and now have the Interprovincial Red Seal, so he can work in any province. You can work under someone elses ticket as an apprentice, or while training but you'll be paid far less. That's what we found out!

We have applied to many companies here from England and you get nowhere! You really need to be ready available in Canada, plenty of work! Just need to make sure you have enough funds before obtaining work. Make sure you have enough points before applying for PR and the rest will follow.

One step at a time, you have plenty of time before worrying about work!

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Just checked the Canadian website again and cant find any mention of needing 9000 hours to apply, only a minimum of 1 years full time in the last 10. So in 1 years time I will have 1 years experience as a fully qualified electrician, I will also be 21 giving me an extra 2 points. Bringing the total to 69 points.

So if I got there I would have to take the provincial exam, would I qualify to take this?

Then I could work under a red seal approved electrician until I have 6 years experience? Then take my own red seal exam if i feel the need.

How does red seal work if I work in a factory? Is it still required?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

bozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nice

If you did your 17th a year ago I would say you could define that as "competence" therefore electrician.
Also i went to the ITBC in Vancouver when I had 6 years experience, they weren't interested if that was 6 as a spark/mate/apprentice. Showed them a letter from my employer in Uk, and my certs, paid the fee and I was on the books.
I think it's 72 months experience proven spark or not.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Right I see so I may be able to include my apprenticeship in that. What do you mean by "on the books"? What is ITBC and what is the benefit of joining? Or is it compulsory?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

ITABC (sorry) are the Industry Training Authority you have to register with to do your exam to get your Red Seal..
When I say on the books, I mean I have registered with them. They've seen my certs and proof of my experience. I paid a fee,and when I get back to BC (end of this year),and get a job (fingers crossed) they will organise a date for me to do the exam to qualify for the red seal.
ITABC are the ones who want to see 9000hrs or whatever it is.
Hope this helps, this is my experience of the system.

Bozo
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:12 am
fub
Just Joined

fub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olib1990
Oh i see, when I did the points calculation i did it based on having 1 years full time work experience, because I included my apprenticeship. A company called global visas did a free assessment for me and they said I would get in but perhaps it was just to get me to do it. Are you sure you cant include the apprenticeship?

Thanks
hello,
just a word of warning please dont use global visas, my friends used them, as they said they could get them in , they paid them almost £3500, heard nothing for 5 months then was told that they could only get them in as students and not the fsw that they promised, they agreed to refund them after much communication with the directors but still had to wait over 4 months for the refund, not even sure if it came through on the date given, do the application yourself, it is much easier than it used to be and there is no real need to use an agent,
hope this helps,
les
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

Firstly contact the relevant people first to see exactly what needed, ring and ask around the colleges.

Look at www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca and there is a list of all trades/occupations. It will tell you what hours/work experience you need to sit the Red Seal exam, if you want to go through this route.

You can work under the supervision of a certified journeyman in your trade while you challenge a theory examination to test your knowledge of the trade.

I knew some electricians worked on a TWP without Red Seal, but company had LMO's in place and they took their Red Seals later. This is hard to find while we're all in a recession. You can't get a TWP without an LMO in place!

Another contact: Alberta Advance Education & Technology T: (780) 427-8765, this is you first point of call to find out everything!!!!!

or visit www.gov.mb.ca, Manitoba wanted min of 6 years experience, a total of 10,800 hours, but also showed something about apprentices.

The Alberta Red Seal was the only exam we could find at the time where we could use this in any province and combinations i.e Domestic/Commercial and Industrial. Some provinces only offered one or two combinations and their own Province. This may have changed???? Check them out and see what they want.

The pass rate is 70% and you can do a re-take while there. You really need to study hard. Books Canadian Electrical Code Part 1, CE Code Handbook, IPT's Electrical Handbook and Electrician's Self-Assesment Tool CD. Visit www.csa.ca. I believe you need lots of work experience to pass the exam, it's not easy but can be done!!

I know if you gain the Red Seal it'll help towards your points or towards any decissions.

It's not an easy road to cross while in the UK, easy to find work while in Canada but would they have LMO's in place and if not can take several weeks/months for company to apply for one. Depends what they know and who they know!!!

I feel you may have to go through the Apprenticeship route??

Good luck!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh

BTW yes you needed 9000 hours in that field or (manitoba) 10800 hours either in construction or industrial. All shows up individually sub headed i.e motors and motor controls or controls and automation systems or installation and maintenance of low voltage distribution systems etc,etc. After all you are applying for Red Seal in that trade!!! Not bakery!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the warning. Wasn't going to use them anyway as they have the aura of a car salesman lol. Just contacted them to try and get info.

So the main thing i need to know now is what is the 9000 hours exp for? From doing the point test on the Canadian website all i have to say is i have more than 1 years exp, so i dunno where the 9000 hours fits in. Can anyone confirm what this is for? I'm assuming it is for the Red Seal from reading previous posts on this thread.

I'm going to the Emmigate2 expo in October so hopefully can get more info about my specific case from then.

Just hope Electrician stays on the list of needed skills.

I know there is a 1000 quota for every occupation that is allowed in every year. If for example this quota is filled in February and i applied in march would my application be refused even if it was good enough to get in, or would it be passed onto the next years quota?

Thank you all very much for you help, i cant explain how much of a relief it is actually being able to get help from people you can trust instead of money thirsty immigration advisor's.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes you need 9000hrs for Red Seal only!!!!

For immigrations purposes this is different, goes by trade NOC, experience and education and yes Red Seal will help!!!

Go through your PR application and work on the rest, as it takes bloody ages waiting on PR visas. If you get a job on TWP then your PR can then be fast tracked, easy way in!!! But if you loose your job on TWP you cannot transfer the LMO to another job, each company will have to apply for one. Not transferable!!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Olib1990
Thank you very much for the warning. Wasn't going to use them anyway as they have the aura of a car salesman lol. Just contacted them to try and get info.

So the main thing i need to know now is what is the 9000 hours exp for? From doing the point test on the Canadian website all i have to say is i have more than 1 years exp, so i dunno where the 9000 hours fits in. Can anyone confirm what this is for? I'm assuming it is for the Red Seal from reading previous posts on this thread.

I'm going to the Emmigate2 expo in October so hopefully can get more info about my specific case from then.

Just hope Electrician stays on the list of needed skills.

I know there is a 1000 quota for every occupation that is allowed in every year. If for example this quota is filled in February and i applied in march would my application be refused even if it was good enough to get in, or would it be passed onto the next years quota?

Thank you all very much for you help, i cant explain how much of a relief it is actually being able to get help from people you can trust instead of money thirsty immigration advisor's.
As RM says, 9000 hours or thereabouts is for the redseal only. This is when you get to Canada. Before this if you are going for the skilled worker PR visa you have to have a minimum of 1 years work experience, prove this by letters from your employer, detailing your duties, hours worked etc.
Check your points though, unless you have Canadian relatives or experience and language ability its tough to reach 67 points on just the 1 year, I just passed it on 4 years's experience which gets you maximum points for this.
Immigration companies are a waste of money unless you have complications, you still have to do all the paperwork yourself and collect all the evidence, all they do is check it, send it off and take your money.
If you could pass your spark quals, you're capable of doing it all yourself, there are people on here more than willing to help you and you'll save at least £2000.
The redseal is difficult, and you need good work experience to get through it from what I've been told but as said earlier it is possible, I still have the pleasure when I move next year.

Good luck anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.