Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician and Teacher - which route?

Electrician and Teacher - which route?

Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

kezzamc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician and Teacher - which route?

Originally Posted by snoopster
Now a question for you!
Which teaching qualifications do you have? That could make a lot of difference re: possible teaching future here.

Hi Snoopster

I have the following at present (lol, as if i have the time to add more!)

BHons Music (3 year degree)
PGCE (QTS) Secondary Teaching

I am willing to do other courses (maybe open uni or something?) to add weight to my prospects. Considering child social work or counselling..not sure really. My Head suggested I do a Masters to further myself (this was suggested as part of my professional development, not towards emigrating plans obviously).

I have retail experience as well as receptionist/purchase ledger experience. Love working with animals and would love to run a kennel one day!

Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

I can only speak for here in Alberta, but it is likely you will have to undertake some form of extra semester hours of study before you can gain a teaching certificate. You will have to apply to the provincial board of education for certification upon arrival (you can't do this beforehand - my OH tried and because he didn't have a SIN (social insurance number) or a Canadian address they turned him away). They will issue you with a reference number and you wait...wait...wait some more until they give you a response that will detail exactly what extra quals you need to gain certification.
However, you may just want to pursue private music tuition - which may be a lot easier. I have a friend who emigrated to NS last September, and now works 30 hours a week doing extra curricular music for a private company, getting around $30 per hour, so that may be a better alternative, or certainly a stop gap while you pursue certification. Basically, the less time you spent doing actual education study at uni, the more semester hour credits you will need to make up. They love the good old 4 year B.Ed here, so I've only got to take one course in Canadian Studies, but with PGCE, I think you'll have to do a little more - maybe 2 or 3. However, every province is different so depending on where you go, it may differ for you.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

One more thing....my advice would be not to do extra study in the UK, as they tend to like Canadian based extra study better, and any extra courses they recommend will have to be approved by the senior credentials advisor for your province, otherwise it's a waste of time, so get any extra study approved by them first.

Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

kezzamc is an unknown quantity at this point

Snoopster, that really helps!

Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
WELL it aint a western province so erm that would make it eastern surely
Fair one, I'd say it was Eastern too, its pretty obvious!!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags1972
Fair one, I'd say it was Eastern too, its pretty obvious!!
As Steve said, depends on your point of view innit? Central as far as I'm concerned, would say Manitoba, Ontario and SK would be central and Quebec onwards Eastern.

P.S. Just in case you didn't know, you can edit your posts - seeing as you only added 3 words, might be easier than deleting and doing another one.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As Steve said, depends on your point of view innit? Central as far as I'm concerned, would say Manitoba, Ontario and SK would be central and Quebec onwards Eastern.

P.S. Just in case you didn't know, you can edit your posts - seeing as you only added 3 words, might be easier than deleting and doing another one.

Yeah I know, just got back from Canada so I'm still jetlagged
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags1972
Yeah I know, just got back from Canada so I'm still jetlagged
Ahhh, gotta love the jetlag! Hope you had a good time.

Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ahhh, gotta love the jetlag! Hope you had a good time.

Had a fantastic time, hated coming back, not for too long hopefully though!!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 12:32 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Not a point of view, more like geography.

For example, Toronto to Vancouver - 4,373 km, Toronto to Moncton 1,522 km.
I would say the maths shows it's eastern not central.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:07 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
What is the average charge for half hour/hour piano lessons in the areas i mentioned...anyone know?

Seems to be in the $25 range.
I pay $20 per 30 minutes.

I've looking into converting my BSc & PGCE into NS teaching and need 39 credit hours extra basically covering a second subject and some professional stuff - I think this is between 12 and 18 months university and about $10k...
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tangram
Not a point of view, more like geography.

For example, Toronto to Vancouver - 4,373 km, Toronto to Moncton 1,522 km.
I would say the maths shows it's eastern not central.
Well according to that logic, I live in Eastern England, despite being in the middle - but I am closer to the east coast than the west! Nope, still say central I'm afraid. And I asked my ex who lives in Toronto last night, he said he'd only describe NS, PEI, Newfoundland and NB as eastern.

So even those living there have different points of view!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:56 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Well according to that logic, I live in Eastern England, despite being in the middle - but I am closer to the east coast than the west! Nope, still say central I'm afraid. And I asked my ex who lives in Toronto last night, he said he'd only describe NS, PEI, Newfoundland and NB as eastern.

So even those living there have different points of view!
People can think whatever they like, doesn't make it so.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

kancell will become famous soon enoughkancell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kezzamc
when we do our reccie trip would you advise staying in a hotel, going self catering and hiring a small cottage/apartment or B&B.
we are currently in Ottawa on a home swap! its been amazing, we are actually living like we would i.e. shopping, commuting into town, cooking in and occasionally eating out, going to the cinema, using their 5 year old car instead of a brand new rental, and maintaining a house all the while! i dont think you can beat this experience for getting a feel for what it would be like to live here! the best bit of it all is 2 weeks accomodation and car hire cost us £0, just flights!

if you want any more info, please just PM me!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Tangram
People can think whatever they like, doesn't make it so.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.