Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician moving to canada.....

Wikiposts

Electrician moving to canada.....

Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:54 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician moving to canada.....

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
YAY!
He's going to want travel expenses from Ontario.

Are you willing to pay?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by whits
Hi all,
wanting to move to canada but looking for job sponsorship, does anyone know of any sites etc.. to look for work?
thanks
daniel
Alright Daniel,

I'm new to the site so thought I'd answer a fellow Electrician. At this moment I am working in the oilsands with about 250 other europeans(Brits, Irish and Portugese), about 100 want to emigrate, most of us have either passed or just sat the IP Red seal exam, so some competition. The advantage with this contract is that we were given training before we took the Red seal exam. Disadvantage the -50 degrees and being layed off for a week without pay, and being away from home.

There are plenty of projects starting up here but most not till later in the year, ours is nearing the end and I'm hopeful of getting a start next month with another major player, who will hopefully sponsor my PNP.

We are from varying disciplines within the Electrical trade so not just Industrial, there are domestic, commercial, maintenance and some I don't think have picked up a cable before.

I thought this job may kick start my Immigration but things haven't moved on too far but I have now a vast network of contacts and friends among the Canadians as well as the Red seal.

So hopefully you may find something maybe away from your comfort zone, like myself before last year I hadn't worked in oil and gas before.

All the best

Airborne
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Airborne Spark
Alright Daniel,

I'm new to the site so thought I'd answer a fellow Electrician. At this moment I am working in the oilsands with about 250 other europeans(Brits, Irish and Portugese), about 100 want to emigrate, most of us have either passed or just sat the IP Red seal exam, so some competition. The advantage with this contract is that we were given training before we took the Red seal exam. Disadvantage the -50 degrees and being layed off for a week without pay, and being away from home.

There are plenty of projects starting up here but most not till later in the year, ours is nearing the end and I'm hopeful of getting a start next month with another major player, who will hopefully sponsor my PNP.

We are from varying disciplines within the Electrical trade so not just Industrial, there are domestic, commercial, maintenance and some I don't think have picked up a cable before.

I thought this job may kick start my Immigration but things haven't moved on too far but I have now a vast network of contacts and friends among the Canadians as well as the Red seal.

So hopefully you may find something maybe away from your comfort zone, like myself before last year I hadn't worked in oil and gas before.

All the best

Airborne
Hi Airborne,

Whats the pay like, is it true about trades earning up to $200 / hr?

Whats the view of the oil contractors up there about TWP holders is there any PNP type immigration sponsorship.

And which camps are best avoided, I've heard that some camps are not good for R&R.

Thomas
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Hi Airborne,

Whats the pay like, is it true about trades earning up to $200 / hr?

Whats the view of the oil contractors up there about TWP holders is there any PNP type immigration sponsorship.

And which camps are best avoided, I've heard that some camps are not good for R&R.

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

Oh if that were only true, I would be happy to work in winter wearing shorts and flip flops.

We work for a CLAC company (Christian Labour association Canada) which is supposed to be a union, but don't say that to an IBEW (International brotherhood of Electrical workers) member.

Our basic rate is $35.14 an hour plus other benefits which pushes us over $40 an hour. We work a 60 hour week 20 of which is at time and a half, we don't work Sunday. Take home about $3750 every 2 weeks.

The highest paid workers on our site is Rig welders with there own truck which is $90, but most are only from Alberta.

My plan coming out here was firstly pass the red seal and speed up immigration. I was successful with the red seal but the immigration isn't happening just yet. This company couldn't sponsor me as by the time I had passed the Red seal there was only officially 1 month left on the contract even though we are here 4 months later.

As this is my first oil sands job I not able to say if this a good or bad camp, but as an ex squaddie I think it's very good, I am told this is quite a good camp by some of the Canadian veterans.

I have also been told that the mine jobs have fairly bad accommodation, a bit hit and miss.

If you are a resident of Alberta your rotations would be 10 on and 4 off, other parts of Canada are 20 days on 8 days off, we Brits are on 8 weeks and off for 2 weeks. I have head some sites are 12 weeks on 2 off.

Well sorry to waffle on, but I hope that will give potential sand dancers a small view of life in the North not what the agency told us.

All the best

Airborne