Reload this Page >

electrician looking for advise on the 309A

electrician looking for advise on the 309A

Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Danny B 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician looking for advise on the 309A

Hello sparks,
I like most of you am a approved electrician with all the qualifications that comes with that, and a few more.
But i seem to be hitting a brick wall with every turn in trying to secure a job.
I am confused on the best way to tackle the job market,I am living in Milton Ontario (got here a week ago) i know i need to sit there code exam for the 309A, but before i do that they want to see a signed tick sheet from my employer of task completed like the JTL back in England.
I have been in the office for the last 3 years so my letter of reference reflects this,can some one please give me a steer on the best way forward, i have contacted everyone from the W.E.S qualifications recognition service to the JIB and City and Guilds.I am desperate please help.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:11 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician looking for advise on the 309A

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Canada can be found here.

I can't answer your question directly but I'm sure someone will be along to do so.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B 1
Hello sparks,
I like most of you am a approved electrician with all the qualifications that comes with that, and a few more.
But i seem to be hitting a brick wall with every turn in trying to secure a job.
I am confused on the best way to tackle the job market,I am living in Milton Ontario (got here a week ago) i know i need to sit there code exam for the 309A, but before i do that they want to see a signed tick sheet from my employer of task completed like the JTL back in England.
I have been in the office for the last 3 years so my letter of reference reflects this,can some one please give me a steer on the best way forward, i have contacted everyone from the W.E.S qualifications recognition service to the JIB and City and Guilds.I am desperate please help.
These are the contacts you need http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?#contact_6

Without your employer(s) from the UK signing off on your hours experience you won't be able to challenge the exams here. Contact Red Seal or the provincial contact, they are the only ones who can confirm what they will accept in your circumstances. Unless you get this, it seems that you would have to start over and do the apprenticeship hours. You can get a job working under a qualified electrician, but not unsupervised. Best bet is just turn up at some job sites or contracting business and see whats going.

Who did you ask about this before you came over?
Have you studied and learned the Canadian electrical code?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Aviator,
Firstly thanks for your help,I have been to see a training consultant who has advised i may be able to have a letter from the JIB who will confirm my hours (Experience).
But thanks to your link I will e-mail the red seal and make sure they will accept this. also I have e-mailed my past employer so hopefully i will get 2 letters.
I looked into the job thing in the UK i purchased the CE code simplified and have been working my way through it,but i dont think you can beat hands on. it will all pull together a lot quicker hopefully once i put it into practice.
I have seen a lot of mail and links to numerous web pages that may help also there are courses over 40 hours has anybody done one will it improve my chances.
Am i right in saying you do not need to learn it letter by letter as you are allowed the code book in the exam?
I know you need 70% pass mark so seems achievable.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B 1
Aviator,
Firstly thanks for your help,I have been to see a training consultant who has advised i may be able to have a letter from the JIB who will confirm my hours (Experience).
But thanks to your link I will e-mail the red seal and make sure they will accept this. also I have e-mailed my past employer so hopefully i will get 2 letters.
I looked into the job thing in the UK i purchased the CE code simplified and have been working my way through it,but i dont think you can beat hands on. it will all pull together a lot quicker hopefully once i put it into practice.
I have seen a lot of mail and links to numerous web pages that may help also there are courses over 40 hours has anybody done one will it improve my chances.
Am i right in saying you do not need to learn it letter by letter as you are allowed the code book in the exam?
I know you need 70% pass mark so seems achievable.
The Electrical code book simplified is more for home owners. It would not get close to getting you through any professional exam. Take a look here for the book you need http://www.shopcsa.ca/onlinestore/Ge...asp?Parent=428

This is the BC exam rules http://www.itabc.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=1144

With regard to your hours, you would be best advised to talk to the training authority in your province, they are the only ones who can tell you what is acceptable and what is not and from whom. The exam may be open book, but there is a lot to be familiar with and you also need to know where to find it. I am not quite sure what the JIB can contribute, only an employer can sign off on your hours.

Also see if this may be of interest http://www.itabc.ca/Page956.aspx

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 21st 2010 at 11:20 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
The Electrical code book simplified is more for home owners. It would not get close to getting you through any professional exam. Take a look here for the book you need http://www.shopcsa.ca/onlinestore/Ge...asp?Parent=428

This is the BC exam rules http://www.itabc.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=1144

With regard to your hours, you would be best advised to talk to the training authority in your province, they are the only ones who can tell you what is acceptable and what is not and from whom. The exam may be open book, but there is a lot to be familiar with and you also need to know where to find it. I am not quite sure what the JIB can contribute, only an employer can sign off on your hours.

Also see if this may be of interest http://www.itabc.ca/Page956.aspx

Some excellent info,thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the links,I will let you know how it goes, I dont fancy starting as an apprentice again,but who knows.
thanks again for your help