Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician in BC

Wikiposts

Electrician in BC

Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician in BC

Originally Posted by wonderfulperson
My employer wrote a letter to state why I was needed, simple as that, yes it was just that in my case as a skilled worker. So not necessarily what you say on that one is accurate for everyone.
Ah ok, so you were applying for PR as a Skilled Worker? You mentioned a TWP in your response, for which a LMO would be essential.

I believe you can't leave the country for longer than a month at a time.
Unless there have been new changes that have been made which I am not aware of, you can. Plenty of people spend months abroad but can still apply for citizenship as long as they have accrued enough presence in Canada. You can even apply from another country as long as you are prepared to fly back for the test and ceremony at short notice.

It doesn't matter how long you've spent outside of Canada as long as you meet those requirements. If you have different information, it would be helpful if you could post a link from an official source so we can update the Wiki etc on here and all learn about the changes.

My advice to all is don't just read and believe all you read on here, go and check it out for yourself with Immigration.
Absolutely. Of course, there are many members of the forum who do actually work in immigration, so the Wiki is pretty accurate and most of the posts are too. And no point in anybody phoning the CIC 'misinformation' line, but certainly anybody with any queries can speak to an immigration lawyer or consultant for clarification.

Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:41 am
Banned

wonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah ok, so you were applying for PR as a Skilled Worker? You mentioned a TWP in your response, for which a LMO would be essential.

Unless there have been new changes that have been made which I am not aware of, you can. Plenty of people spend months abroad but can still apply for citizenship as long as they have accrued enough presence in Canada. You can even apply from another country as long as you are prepared to fly back for the test and ceremony at short notice.

It doesn't matter how long you've spent outside of Canada as long as you meet those requirements. If you have different information, it would be helpful if you could post a link from an official source so we can update the Wiki etc on here and all learn about the changes.

Absolutely. Of course, there are many members of the forum who do actually work in immigration, so the Wiki is pretty accurate and most of the posts are too. And no point in anybody phoning the CIC 'misinformation' line, but certainly anybody with any queries can speak to an immigration lawyer or consultant for clarification.

For sure that will explain (the confusion I mean).
Yes I meant for Permanent residency sorry.
And I was strictly informed, and have since been made aware of it by others too, that you can't leave the country for longer than a month at a time. Even when I went to the US rock climbing and wanted to go for longer than a month with others down there I was told at the border I had to return by the time the month was up.

Always wise to check with immigration, as there are always changes, and even minor ones can take an effect on an individual applicant.

I took a month in the UK and that was too long, I got bored anyway and wanted to be back here in Canada
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And I was strictly informed, and have since been made aware of it by others too, that you can't leave the country for longer than a month at a time.
That's a new one on me - have checked the CIC website, plus all the news releases about changes to immigration laws etc, and can't find any mention of it either.

Curiouser and curiouser!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:35 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

And I was strictly informed, and have since been made aware of it by others too, that you can't leave the country for longer than a month at a time. Even when I went to the US rock climbing and wanted to go for longer than a month with others down there I was told at the border I had to return by the time the month was up.
You were strictly informed by whom exactly? The actual requirements to qualify according to CIC themselves are as follows:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ligibility.asp

Time lived in Canada

To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement.

You may be able to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident if that time falls within the four-year period.
Which is exactly what christmasoompa said above.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Curiouser and curiouser!
Not really. Unless she can provide something more than "i was told" my view is that she is just wrong. There is lots of stuff on the CIC website about the law changes in 2009, but nothing at all about being outside the country for more than one month making you ineligible.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:29 pm
Banned

wonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nice

[QUOTE=Alan2005;9099961]You were strictly informed by whom exactly? The actual requirements to qualify according to CIC themselves are as follows:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ligibility.asp

I was informed by Canadian Government, Immigration, and also border agency, which is something you clearly are not. Next question? I hope you are not one of these people who thinks they know it all

For if you are you are not really going to be helping those who need accurate answers, it seems it due to the arrogance of that last post directed purely at me:

'Not really. Unless she can provide something more than "i was told" my view is that she is just wrong.'

Not that I have to prove myself to you or anyone else on here but for last times sake as this is the last time I am responding to this before it turns into an argument since some of you now want to get personal on here about being so right;

Not sure what makes you think I am just wrong, or what makes you think you are so right on everything here? I go by what I know and how it was for me, and I am a permanent resident about to become a Citizen, so do tell how on earth I can be wrong?

Now how about admitting that you are wrong on at least the above quote if nothing more.
I am not going to say it again, so here it is one last time..

And as I said already, if in doubt to anyone reading, please do go and check with Immigration, as what people think they know on here is not necessarily accurate despite how hard they try to persuade you or me or anyone that they are.

I am not going to argue with anyone who is going to be adamant about being right all the time regardless if they are wrong or not, and I am not going to advise against anyone contacting CIC directly either, for trust me, if it were me wanting to know I'd not be relying on anyone on this thread I'd be contacting exactly the right people, such as CIC, Immigration etc, and as I did just that, I had no problems getting as far as I did thanks very much.

Have a good day.

Last edited by wonderfulperson; Jan 13th 2011 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I was informed by Canadian Government, Immigration, next question? I hope you are not one of these people who thinks they know it all

For if you are you are not really going to be helping those who need accurate answers, it seems it due to the arrogance of that last post directed purely at me:

'Not really. Unless she can provide something more than "i was told" my view is that she is just wrong.'

Not that I have to prove myself to you or anyone else on here but for last times sake as this is the last time I am responding to this before it turns into an argument since some of you now want to get personal on here about being so right;

Not sure what makes you think I am just wrong, or what makes you think you are so right on everything here? I go by what I know and how it was for me, and I am a permanent resident about to become a Citizen, so do tell how on earth I can be wrong?

Now how about admitting that you are wrong on at least the above quote if nothing more.
I am not going to say it again, so here it is one last time..

And as I said already, if in doubt to anyone reading, please do go and check with Immigration, as what people think they know on here is not necessarily accurate despite how hard they try to persuade you or me or anyone that they are.

I am not going to argue with anyone who is going to be adamant about being right all the time regardless if they are wrong or not, and I am not going to advise against anyone contacting CIC directly either, for trust me, if it were me wanting to know I'd not be relying on anyone on this thread I'd be contacting exactly the right people, such as CIC, Immigration etc, and as I did just that, I had no problems getting as far as I did thanks very much.

Have a good day.
Hmm, I seem to have hit a nerve. You've been asked to provide some evidence for your claims, but you don't seem to be able to. I understand that this is frustrating.

So to answer your question, I don't think I know anything but I can read. I go by what is documented on CIC's own website; the website where CIC publish their actual rules and policies, the website used as a resource by many (if not most) people who apply for some kind of status in Canada.

You are making a very strong claim that the CIC website is wrong and as such many of those using it to get information will come unstuck when they apply for citizenship. So I say again, provide some evidence for your claim and I'll quite happily say you are right and I was wrong - better yet, post this as a question in the immigration section and see what responses you get. I promise to eat humble pie if one of the experts says you are right.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jan 13th 2011 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hmm, I seem to have hit a nerve. You've been asked to provide some evidence for your claims, but you don't seem to be able to. I understand that this is frustrating.

So to answer your question, I don't think I know anything but I can read. I go by what is documented on CIC's own website; the website where CIC publish their actual rules and policies, the website used as a resource by many (if not most) people who apply for some kind of status in Canada.

You are making a very strong claim that the CIC website is wrong and as such many of those using it to get information will come unstuck when they apply for citizenship. So I say again, provide some evidence for your claim and I'll quite happily say you are right and I was wrong - better yet, post this as a question in the immigration section and see what responses you get. I promise to eat humble pie if one of the experts says you are right.
On the contrary and to get the facts straight, you did not hit a nerve at all with regard to what I have said already on the topic. MOre accurately I find 'you' irritating, and am not responding again. And you are the one who seems to think you are above CIC and that they are wrong as is everyone else except yourself who you seem to think is right on everything.

As I said already, I do not have to prove myself to you or anyone else on here, not sure what 'your' problem is but evidently you seem to have one (and if you are personally attacking me I hope the moderators will put you to rest asap, as that is not allowed and I find that is purely what you are trying to do here.

Enough said, I am not responding to you again and I expect you to not bother me again either.

Last edited by wonderfulperson; Jan 13th 2011 at 5:48 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:36 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My advice to all is don't just read and believe all you read on here, go and check it out for yourself with Immigration.
Always sound advice because the rules do change from time to time. Its certainly different now to when I came here 13 years ago.

In this case however your information is clearly wrong now.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I hope you are not one of these people who thinks they know it all
except yourself who you seem to think is right on everything.
Oh, the irony!

Am closing this thread now as it's been taken rather off course and a certain argumentative previously banned member has gone. For the sake of anybody reading, here are the relevant operating manuals regarding citizenship law:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/cp/index.asp

Chrisc23 - I hope you've got the answers you were after but if not do please start another thread.