Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Electrician asking a few questions...!

Wikiposts

Electrician asking a few questions...!

Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:43 am
Just Joined

3-1outnumbered is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician asking a few questions...!

Hello everyone
Have been having a look at some posts on here and would like to ask for some advice...

Im a UK sparky with a provisional job offer in Alberta.
Is there such a thing as an intensive, one to one course I can do to bring me up to scratch on Canada code?

Red Seal...Industrial or construction?
If I take the Industrial root can I also work in the domestic/commercial sector or are there rules to stop this??

I have read on the main home page about the proposed change to credential assessment before you arrive in Canada, has it come into rule?

And last but ive no doubt not least, we (the family) would like to know if PR is the way to go...have read the CIC site again to see what changes this week brings and wonder on the time scale....?

Hope this all makes some sense!?
Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician asking a few questions...!

Originally Posted by 3-1outnumbered
Hello everyone
Have been having a look at some posts on here and would like to ask for some advice...

Im a UK sparky with a provisional job offer in Alberta.
Is there such a thing as an intensive, one to one course I can do to bring me up to scratch on Canada code?

Red Seal...Industrial or construction?
If I take the Industrial root can I also work in the domestic/commercial sector or are there rules to stop this??

I have read on the main home page about the proposed change to credential assessment before you arrive in Canada, has it come into rule?

And last but ive no doubt not least, we (the family) would like to know if PR is the way to go...have read the CIC site again to see what changes this week brings and wonder on the time scale....?

Hope this all makes some sense!?
Thanks
Certification as industrial - work as industrial. If you want to work in construction/domestic - certification for construction. There are two certifications, which mean you cannot interchange without qualifying for both.

Some local colleges offer courses at certain times of year, or you can read the code book.
This is in BC, might be something like it in AB http://www.bcit.ca/study/courses/telc0107.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 5:28 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Aviator;9982657]Certification as industrial - work as industrial. If you want to work in construction/domestic - certification for construction. There are two certifications, which mean you cannot interchange without qualifying for both.QUOTE]

Aviator, Are you sure of this? I can only speak for Manitoba but we have Construction guys employed in our industrial facility and for a short period of time, I worked construction with my Industrial ticket.
The IBEW (union) confirmed to me that this is ok but its based on experience although, there is a stigma from either perspective from some employers.

To the OP,
As Aviator said, challenge for the ticket that most suits your background and the career you are targeting. In Canada the Industrial Electrician would be known as a Maintenance Electrician in the UK, resident in a manufacturing or mining facility primarily as troubleshooters, repairers requiring knowledge of PLC's etc.
Construction Electricians here are as the name suggests but the ticket encompasses construction in commercial and industrial also- not just domestic.

Regards

Darren
Old Apr 1st 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for your replies...

Im looking at Industrial as the job is in a manufacturing facility...you've answered that one nicely...!

Has anyone taken the Industrial exam & where there any surprise questions?

My last exam was for the 17th edition so the idea brings back all those student cramming memories!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Im looking at Industrial as the job is in a manufacturing facility...you've answered that one nicely...!

My last exam was for the 17th edition so the idea brings back all those student cramming memories!
They should all be surprise questions!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:44 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Once you are eligible to challenge the exam, there should be a list of reccommended study books and the sections of the exam are itemised. Be prepared to study hard as the questions are not simple as in typical multiple choice style exams. The exam you take is the same one as the 4th level apprentices take as their final exam having spent 10 weeks at full time school.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Many thanks....
Its been over 20yrs since i was a student, so this will be an experience!

Can I also ask do Canadian Journeyman tend to stick with one 'ticket'..?

Also, what is the real view of unionised work places?
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:38 pm
Journeyman Canadian

Many thanks....
Its been over 20yrs since i was a student, so this will be an experience!

Can I also ask do Canadian Journeyman tend to stick with one 'ticket'..?

Also, what is the real view of unionised work places?
Usually yes, they stick with one ticket, but I have heard of employers encouraging dual tickets for example Electrician/ Instrument Mechanic, I don't believe there is any financial incentive but obviously you're a much more employable commodity.

The union debate, now thats a tough call.
My collective agreement prevents me from working a preferred 12 hour shift pattern; in a years time I will have my seniority bumped by 2 apprentices who I have helped to train; I have to pay union dues whether I like it or not; we have to accommodate a guy with a bogus night shift medical restriction...the list goes on, but if I messed up at work or had a personality clash with a manager which meant I was in the 'crosshairs'- yes I would be glad I was in a union.
Ask my wife if she wished she was in a union when she used 3 months of her short term disability to battle firomyalgia only to be constructively dismissed on her gradual return to work? A definite yes!
As much as I want to be pro union, I feel they have lost their way as they tend to shield lazy and dishonest employees, and because of this it tarnishes their image in todays world.

So, swings and roundabouts really. In your job search dont let the fact that there is a union influence your decision too much.

Darren