Reload this Page >

Electrical appliances from UK to Canada

Electrical appliances from UK to Canada

Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

LisaMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical appliances from UK to Canada

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to use electrical appliances from the UK in Canada? Can I buy some sort of converter?

We own quite a few good quality electrical appliances which are also fairly new. Am thinking of moving them to Canada.

Thanks.

LisaMW
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical appliances from UK to Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compatability_of_Goods
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:49 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LisaMW
Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to use electrical appliances from the UK in Canada? Can I buy some sort of converter?

We own quite a few good quality electrical appliances which are also fairly new. Am thinking of moving them to Canada.

Thanks.

LisaMW
Yes you can use applices over here, firstly check the voltage they operate at....if its 110 - 240 V 50/60 Hz then all that device will need is a travel adapter.

If it is only 230/240 V 50 Hz then you need a power converter, a step up transformer which converts 110 V to 230 V. The key to using this is the Wattage. Each device will have a wattage associated with it and the converter needs to have a higher wattage than the device you are trying to power.

Here are some examples:

http://www.voltageconverters.com/ite...asp?ic=VC1000W

Do check out the Wiki for the other consideration, that being house insurance small print

Last edited by JB0591; Mar 6th 2011 at 7:18 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

this is a list of stuff we bought with us electrical that worked....

Stereo's with a power exchanger will work,

Vacuums/Hoovers will not work,

Computers are dual voltage so will work, wot we did is bring an English power bar with us, plug everything into the English power bar with English plugs, then just changed the plug at the end of the power bar to a US/CDN plug that plugs into the wall.

All lamps will work, we just changed the plugs, and a 100 watt bulb will shine 50 watts, so bring with you some bayonet bulbs, it is cheaper to buy new ones here, but sometimes if u have some matching bed side lights that go with ya bed set like I did, then you are able to still bring them and use them.

TV's will work with power Exchanger, but will not play any US/CDN TV, we brought one with us tho along with a English Video player so we could still watch old Videos of the kids, or as a Gaming TV for kids, no need to bring ya DVD players, they are so cheap here and most can be cracked to play anything.

Laptops you can just change the plugs, but I wouldn't in case you want to take it back to the UK with u for a visit....just make a travel plug like I did.....a CDN plug on the end of an English Extension lead.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:23 pm
x 0 x

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
Laptops you can just change the plugs, but I wouldn't in case you want to take it back to the UK with u for a visit....just make a travel plug like I did.....a CDN plug on the end of an English Extension lead.
Replacement laptop power cables are available, generally online websites are best.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

LisaMW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
this is a list of stuff we bought with us electrical that worked....

Stereo's with a power exchanger will work,

Vacuums/Hoovers will not work,

Computers are dual voltage so will work, wot we did is bring an English power bar with us, plug everything into the English power bar with English plugs, then just changed the plug at the end of the power bar to a US/CDN plug that plugs into the wall.

All lamps will work, we just changed the plugs, and a 100 watt bulb will shine 50 watts, so bring with you some bayonet bulbs, it is cheaper to buy new ones here, but sometimes if u have some matching bed side lights that go with ya bed set like I did, then you are able to still bring them and use them.

TV's will work with power Exchanger, but will not play any US/CDN TV, we brought one with us tho along with a English Video player so we could still watch old Videos of the kids, or as a Gaming TV for kids, no need to bring ya DVD players, they are so cheap here and most can be cracked to play anything.

Thanks guys. Looks like we will have to sell our white goods in the UK before going!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Looks like we will have to sell our white goods in the UK before going!
Rather than sell them why not find a needy family to donate them to?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

if your planning on buying a house when u get here, there is a hi chance that u could negotiate with the seller to leave all the appliances, every house we looked at when house hunting, the sellers were leaving all the appliances, and lots of houses are built with central vac...so we didn't have to buy anything when we got here.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:12 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

We brought our beloved Dyson Vacuum Cleaner....works great with our 2kW transformer from voltageconvertors.com for about $90. It's a bloomin' heavy bit of kit but plugged in on the top floor can vacumn the whole house with long lead! (Dysons are very expensive here)
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:00 pm
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Can anyone tell me if my TV will work in Canada....link below

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...ex.html;jsessi

also what about my separates system......link below

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=509
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=512

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeyboy3

Thanks
See the Wiki link in post no. 2.

Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
Do check out the Wiki for the other consideration, that being house insurance small print
Please quote some home insurance small print that pertains to foreign electrical appliances.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Please quote some home insurance small print that pertains to foreign electrical appliances.
I do seem to recall someone in the biz (jericoe perhaps) stating pretty categorically that the CSA sticker thing was indeed misinformed scaremongering and that no such requirement existed.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:14 am
x 0 x

Originally Posted by dbd33
I actually said check the wiki for other considerations, as in this bit:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...al_liabilities

I have not had the time to check the small print and assumed this to be written based on experience.....I do know my devices have "u CSA c" stickers anyway.

I have updated the TV and Games console on the technical aspects based on my experiences.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:00 am
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
See the Wiki link in post no. 2.

I have read the wiki but I cant figure it out from my tech details below and dont want to bother with voltage convertors.......it appears to me that my TV wont be usualble hence me asking if anyone knows and posting my links

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.