Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Election - what does it mean ?

Election - what does it mean ?

Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election - what does it mean ?

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Whereas Ontario has very little job shortages according to its PNP list but is still the favored destination of immigrants???
Ontarios PNP is only a pilot scheme, and is in desperate need of expanding. Well, it was in need of expanding until the manufacturing sector in ontario went for a crap anyway...

There is no point in the provinces focusing attention on clarifying there PNP requirements while the immigration quota for PNP places is stuck at only a few % of the total numbers CIC deal with.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:19 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ontarios PNP is only a pilot scheme, and is in desperate need of expanding. Well, it was in need of expanding until the manufacturing sector in ontario went for a crap anyway...

There is no point in the provinces focusing attention on clarifying there PNP requirements while the immigration quota for PNP places is stuck at only a few % of the total numbers CIC deal with.
I think you will find that PNP along with CEC will get more quotas anyway with less going to FSW but as for how accurate PNP will be in identifying shortages only time will tell.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I think you will find that PNP along with CEC will get more quotas anyway with less going to FSW but as for how accurate PNP will be in identifying shortages only time will tell.
If the job is there and you get a positive LMO for it, then it must have accurately identified a shortage, non?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:58 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Looks very promising.
Cool. I know it's a long way off but I was making my travel plans this morning.

I figured the earlier I booked the flight, the cheaper it would be and the less money we'd lose when the airline went bust.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:00 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

If the job is there and you get a positive LMO for it, then it must have accurately identified a shortage, non?
The only thing confusing here and you said so yourself is that the Ontario PNP program is in desperate need of revamping, if this is the case how can it identify accurately the regions job shortages? If this is the case how does a potential applicant know of the job shortages there when there is no accurate PNP list? Remember the job applicants we are talking about here are non-Canadians and with no PR so they don`t live in Canada, all they have to rely on here are job internet sites and info given by the regions PNP about supposedly job shortages. If Ontario the main destination has a flawed PNP list how is this going to help potential immigrants that want to go there???

What you put above is how it should work, but it only works like this for a percentage of people (the so called good or desirable people as they are so often described as) because unfortunately it doesn`t work that way for the majority of people and that is one of the reasons why there is a backlog of 950.000 applicants!!! If job openings were made more accessible then this figure would decrease, something that is meant to be happening as we speak.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

My wish list for policies would be

1: Immigration based on current economic requirements and long term growth. Revamped faster points bases system with scope for family migration of existing skilled workers, and a similar scale of asylum seeking candidates as Canada should be regarded as a safe haven for the oppressed. Increased Enforcement to catch illegals and over stayers, and increased support of application processing to stop canada being so slow to bring in good people

2 Recognise that the Economy is teetering on the edge of recession, and that events south of the border will have a serious effect on the Canadian economy. Work to boost the manufacturing industrial base which is suffering a lot at present, and which along with natural resources is where the decent middle class jobs and the money that the service industries service comes from. Move away from the short term stripping of assets such as oil for profit to a Norwegian type of long term investment fund. The oil wealth will only be there one time. All Canadians should benefit from its exploitation.
Remove legislative barriers to freedom of trade...ie why does canada have separate drug and electrical safety agencies to the US, they are redundant. Invest in new technology start ups that will create jobs that will not end up offshore.

3. I dont care about Quebec, if they want to commit economic suicide and go there own way, then good luck to them. Personally I dont think they are that stupid. Get rid of the language laws that require bi-lingual labeling and signage while you are at it.

4 The military needs to rethink its role. If it is to be an offensive army rather than a peacekeeping force, then it needs to be equipped with newer, better equipment to minimise troop exposure. Realistically it will never be in a position to repel the most likely invading force (The US looking to take Canadian oil and water resources), so dont pretend it is. It should be equipped and sized appropriately to meet its peacekeeping and Nato defined obligations, so some investment is still required.

5 Law and Order....A close look is needed at the measures taken in the name of our "security". Respect the rights of individuals until you have judicially reviewed proof that they are up to no good. Too much secrecy is no good for any society. Strip the assets of those who profit from crime, whether that be drug related or corporate or bicycle thievery. Create more corporate responsibility by making executives personally legally responsible for there actions, and actually do some enforcement.

6 Environmental (You forgot that one, and in my view its a critical area now)
Implement an immediate program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through a carbon tax. Voluntary programs have not been effective, the only thing corporate emitters understand is having to pay less if they emit less. Look at cars in Europe. Gas is taxed more, so people drive far more efficient vehicles.

Now, no one party is going to meet my wish list, so its no wonder I'm undecided.
Just popped back on before I leave for Seattle for the weekend. Well iaink thank you for responding with some sensible points. I find your comments very interesting and very well thought out and you are right no one party is going to meet everybody's needs.

My Comments on your points:

1) I agree with you (this is very close to the Conservative position on immigration).

2) I mostly agree with you, except for the resource issue. Under our constitution (either the new one or the old BNA act), resources of any kind are a Provincial responsibility (eg: coal, water. oil, gold, diamonds etc). I believe this was put in place to prevent a centralized government (Ottawa) from taking wealth from one area of the Confederation (notice I didn't say country) and giving it to another (eg Hydro from Quebec for the benefit of Ontario). This is a very sensitive and complex area for most provinces.

3) Point taken, but if Quebec were to separate it's entirely likely that Canada would not survive and here in the west we would probably be forced to join the USA to preserve our standard of living and security.

4) Mostly agree with you.

5) Mostly agree with you on this too, but would add we need tougher sentencing for violent crime especially against people and we need to stop the revolving door of justice where a person sentenced to 10 years in jail can sometimes be free in less than half that time.

6) I agree with a cap and trade program for Canadian business, which provides incentives to reduce pollution and penalties if agreed targets are not achieved; however I do not agree with a carbon tax collected by the federal government to finance some sort of social programs (more like social programs for politicians, in my experience).

Anyway, thank you for you response and views, I don't agree with everything you stated but a lot of it I did.

Take care.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

To all effects and purposes ONTARIO DOES NOT HAVE A PNP

It has a "pilot program", introduced maybe 18 months or two years ago now, with very narrow job fields (mainly medical IIRC)

To talk about "Ontarios PNP" is very misleading. As far people applying for residence in Canada go, it might as well not exist.

PNPs overall account for only what, less than 5% of all migration?... Thats the problem. Ontario maybe doesnt suffer too badly as its the premier point of arrival for all the people with skilled worker visas who applied to come to Canada 5 or 6 years ago or whatever the wait is now, but the lack of a PNP isnt helping any either.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
My Comments on your points:

1) I agree with you (this is very close to the Conservative position on immigration).
How can you say that when they have done NOTHING in real terms to speed things up? in fact its slowed it down for those who have been waiting the longest while it reviews more recent cases!

2) I mostly agree with you, except for the resource issue. Under our constitution (either the new one or the old BNA act), resources of any kind are a Provincial responsibility (eg: coal, water. oil, gold, diamonds etc). I believe this was put in place to prevent a centralized government (Ottawa) from taking wealth from one area of the Confederation (notice I didn't say country) and giving it to another (eg Hydro from Quebec for the benefit of Ontario). This is a very sensitive and complex area for most provinces.
Isnt governments job to make the laws BETTER. Change the laws if necessary. Take a look at norways approach to its oil legacy if you get a chance. Timber and Hydro are different to Oil, because Oil is not a renewable self refreshing resource, once its gone, its gone.

3) Point taken, but if Quebec were to separate it's entirely likely that Canada would not survive and here in the west we would probably be forced to join the USA to preserve our standard of living and security.
You recon? Personally I think if quebec were to decide to seperate a large part of canada would say good ridance to a financial drain on federal funds. As the US is the largest threat to the wests security, Im sure they would love that! Its not that long since BC and AB were dependent on equalisation payments that came out of Ontarios pockets. How quickly you all forget. Quebecs going nowhere anyway, but if it did, the rest of Canada would survive long enough for it test the water, find it very cold and come back to beg to rejoin
4) Mostly agree with you.
You do , or the conservatives do?
5) Mostly agree with you on this too, but would add we need tougher sentencing for violent crime especially against people and we need to stop the revolving door of justice where a person sentenced to 10 years in jail can sometimes be free in less than half that time.
Tougher sentancing like the US has...yeah, that worked out real well for them...not. If a person is assesed to be no risk to reoffend, why spend $100k a year to keep them in jail longer than is necessary? Again, that your position , or the conservatives? Hard to knwo for sure, but my gut feeling is the conservatives are far more likely to sneak in draconian US style snooping laws and erode personal freedoms in the name of "security" than any of the other parties. I find the increased punishment argument jaded and one that does not hold any water when you look at its effect on crime rates. The way to address the incidence of the majority of crimes is to remove the social causes that drive people to it. I guess that a very liberal outlook.

6) I agree with a cap and trade program for Canadian business, which provides incentives to reduce pollution and penalties if agreed targets are not achieved; however I do not agree with a carbon tax collected by the federal government to finance some sort of social programs (more like social programs for politicians, in my experience).
Its just an adjustment of where federal funding comes from, thats all. Charge people for poluting, and they will stop sooner. Money will be spent on social problems anyway, its just a question of where you get it from? I dont see the problem, as long as its calculated correctly to be revenue neutral, with the promise that if they get it wrong that any overcharge will be rebated. If the last few days of turnmoil have showed us anything its that voluntary restrictions and light handed government and relying on profit making businesses to "do the right thing" is just rampant optimism

Anyway, thank you for you response and views, I don't agree with everything you stated but a lot of it I did.

Take care.
Ive still no idea which party fits the brief closest....

Last edited by iaink; Sep 19th 2008 at 4:53 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Liberals = assumption. Assuming makes an ASS of U and ME

1) Immigration Policy
I'd like to see immigration applicants given a one-year temporary work permit to allow them to demonstrate their ability and willingness to seek and maintain employment and pay tax into the economy with the proviso that they cannot claim assistance if unemployed for any reason, and must give details of their employer to CIC. If the applicant has passed medical and vetting then they should be able to reapply for another one-year work permit. If they fail their medical or vetting then CIC would revoke the work permit.

I would also like to see mandatory requirement for all classes of immigration to reach a minimum standard of the official language of the Province of residence within 1 year of arrival and a higher standard within 2 years. This doesn't stop immigrants from celebrating their culture but allows them to integrate into Canadian culture much easier. Or do we need to start putting roadsigns in 20 different languages.

2) The Economy

Isn't doing that badly at present. Higher prices mean everyone pays higher taxes, thereby allowing the government to make more money without raisng taxes for one income group more than another.

3) The unsigned Constitutional issue (very important in Quebec).

What about the rest of Canada. Canada consists 10 Provinces and 3 Territories.

4) The Military

The only enemies likely to invade Canada are the U.S. and Russia, both of whom would like our oil, natural gas and water. We have neither the numbers or equipment to do little more than guerrilla warfare and observation posts.

Either Canada needs to reinforce the military with manpower and equipment, or restrict the number of overseas commitments it sends troops to.

5) Law and Order

Minimum 2yr sentence for carrying a knife. No bail and no deals, and doubled for each subsequent offence.
Minimum 5yrs for carrying a pistol except as a licensed firearms holder or dealer between place of purchase, residence, shooting range or other restricted location. No bail and no deals, and doubled for each subsequent offence.
Minimum 10yrs for shotgun or rifle, same restrictions as above.

These sentences in addition to any other sentence imposed for crimes involving these weapons.

6) Environmental

If the U.S. Republican Presidential and Vice Presidential nominees can't agree on environmental policy (Google it so you get an interview unbiased by my viewpoint), I couldn't possibly say for sure what the best policy is.
Thank you for your reply CapitainHook. Unfortunately I don't have the time this morning to comment on all you points, except to say that I generally have no problem with most of the things you've stated.

The Quebec issue is a bit complex though, as Quebec has rights enshrined in our Constitution that other provinces do not (Culture, Langauge etc) and certain veto rights to that other provinces don't have. I belive also that Quebec has the right to appoint a number of our Supreme Court judges, but I'm not sure of the figure (I believe it's three or four).

For all of you who attempted to answer my questions sensibly, even though I may not agree with you, thank you for taking the time.

One final point and then I really have to go. I will ignore and not respond to any personal attacks, as I believe these say more about the nature and intelligence of the person making these comments than anything else.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
Thank you for your reply CapitainHook. Unfortunately I don't have the time this morning to comment on all you points, except to say that I generally have no problem with most of the things you've stated.

The Quebec issue is a bit complex though, as Quebec has rights enshrined in our Constitution that other provinces do not (Culture, Langauge etc) and certain veto rights to that other provinces don't have. I belive also that Quebec has the right to appoint a number of our Supreme Court judges, but I'm not sure of the figure (I believe it's three or four).

For all of you who attempted to answer my questions sensibly, even though I may not agree with you, thank you for taking the time.

One final point and then I really have to go. I will ignore and not respond to any personal attacks, as I believe these say more about the nature and intelligence of the person making these comments than anything else.

Ahem. Does the phrase "socialist scum" mean anything to you?

How about these:

"you contribute nothing positive to this forum"

"uninformed stupid comments"

"you gay immigrants" (I don't take this as an insult but assume it was meant as one)

"Boy some people sure need to take a program of anger management"

"You Liberals are so gullable." (sic)

"Do you people actually have jobs and work or are you living on welfare or EI?"

"If you had the intelligence to understand my reply."

And those are just from this thread.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 19th 2008 at 5:11 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, Chi_Nook, it's a good thing we don't take you at your word. You don't half spew out a lot of personal insults when an agrument runs against you:

"a brit whiner and constant complainer about everything Canadian and he hasn't the guts to go back to his beloved UK."

'I don't think I need to add anything to your silly rant above. Why don't you just go back to the UK, if you believe "...there is no way of life.." in Canada. I'm sure you'd be much happier in the UK, but you'd also probably do nothing but complain and whine about life there too after you got back...I just think you're just a chronic complainer...Sad really...'

"Well I actually have a job and now have to go and do some work to earn that nasty money. I don't know what you and gotoronto do for a living, but you seem to be able to spend hours everyday on this web site whining and complaining about your life over here. You both must have a very cushy jobs...."

"Do you have a life or is whining and complaining about Canada on this board and generally how badly life has treated you the only thing you do? I can't imagine you actually have time for any real friends or a job, you must be on your computer all the time...How sad..."

"You're an idiot and a complete loser"

"why don't you just go and get a REAL life and have REAL realtionships with REAL people"

"I think you need to get some professional help..."

I'm afraid I think you're rather pompous and utterly unfaithful to your promises. "No more from me on this thread" was, I think, one of them. I wonder if you yourself are not Mr. Harper.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Crikey, Chi_Nook, it's a good thing we don't take you at your word. You don't half spew out a lot of personal insults when an agrument runs against you:

"a brit whiner and constant complainer about everything Canadian and he hasn't the guts to go back to his beloved UK."

'I don't think I need to add anything to your silly rant above. Why don't you just go back to the UK, if you believe "...there is no way of life.." in Canada. I'm sure you'd be much happier in the UK, but you'd also probably do nothing but complain and whine about life there too after you got back...I just think you're just a chronic complainer...Sad really...'

"Well I actually have a job and now have to go and do some work to earn that nasty money. I don't know what you and gotoronto do for a living, but you seem to be able to spend hours everyday on this web site whining and complaining about your life over here. You both must have a very cushy jobs...."

"Do you have a life or is whining and complaining about Canada on this board and generally how badly life has treated you the only thing you do? I can't imagine you actually have time for any real friends or a job, you must be on your computer all the time...How sad..."

"You're an idiot and a complete loser"

"why don't you just go and get a REAL life and have REAL realtionships with REAL people"

"I think you need to get some professional help..."

I'm afraid I think you're rather pompous and utterly unfaithful to your promises. "No more from me on this thread" was, I think, one of them. I wonder if you yourself are not Mr. Harper.
Slow Day?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:18 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Slow Day?
It's a Friday. Fridays are always good for a right f*****g punch-up.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Slow Day?
I keep them on file, you know just in case I need to judge the nature and intelligence of a poster.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I keep them on file, you know just in case I need to judge the nature and intelligence of a poster.
Ah....just one of MANY slow days then

I sense you are probably joking....but then again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.