Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Election - what does it mean ?

Election - what does it mean ?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election - what does it mean ?

Originally Posted by geedee
Better get serious now as nobody liked my Japanese joke...

Elections (snigger) are a complete distraction to give us sheeple the impression that we have a say in our destiny. In fact, we don't. The tier above government, shielded from prying eyes, dictates world events for its own enrichment and consolidation of power.

Chi-Nook, you sounded a bit like Hannibal Lecter in your parting statement...
I enjoyed your joke. I like many of Chi_Nook's too. "Great Leader" especially had me chuckling.

Quite why we need details of Chi_Nook's meal plan isn't obvious to me. I had pork and beans complemented by a can of Pride and half a bottle of an undistinguished Cab from the LCBO. The chickens got scratch grain and some pickled onions. The cats some left over barbecued salmon, wild or farmed I couldn't say. I tried the dog with some idli but he was having none of it. I squirted bute into one horse and gave her a flake of hay.

Back with the election. The problem with the Harper Conservatives is the they don't represent the kind of conservatism Canadians have voted for in the past. For all Mulrooney was a great friend of Reagan and dogged by corruption scandals he was relatively benign, a Ted Heath type Conservative. Harper is another animal, a religious fundamentalist and a believer in Dick Cheney conservatism. The reason the public at large is in fear of a Harper majority government is the risk to civil liberties. Harper is not a great supporter of gay marriage, abortion rights nor universal healthcare. As Chi_Nook mentions he would also like to curtail immigration; since this is a board primarily for immigrants I would think that alone would make him unsaleable here.

And then, of course, there's that hair...
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
And then, of course, there's that hair...
Is it as bad as this guys hair.......

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...lle_Duggar.jpg

speaking of religious fundamentalists.......
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Is it as bad as this guys hair.......

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...lle_Duggar.jpg

speaking of religious fundamentalists.......
I haven't seen that guy's hair not move, it certainly seems comparable though. Perhaps laminating one's head is some sort of act of faith.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
From Wikipedia:
I distrust Wikipedia as a reliable source of information, as just about anyone can change the information to suit their point of view. What is the Wikipedia link so I can check how many edits and what kind have been made.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geedee
Better get serious now as nobody liked my Japanese joke...

Elections (snigger) are a complete distraction to give us sheeple the impression that we have a say in our destiny. In fact, we don't. The tier above government, shielded from prying eyes, dictates world events for its own enrichment and consolidation of power.

Chi-Nook, you sounded a bit like Hannibal Lecter in your parting statement...
There is probably some truth in your statement about voting, but its better than any other political alternative. If you don't vote, dont complain about the outcome..simple really.

Hmmm, I was just looking at Clarice and I think I'll have liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti tonight...

Last edited by Chi_Nook; Sep 17th 2008 at 2:20 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:10 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
What is the Wikipedia link so I can check how many edits and what kind have been made?
There is no special link it is right at the top of each Wikipedia page, the tab called "History".
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I distrust Wikipedia as a reliable source of information, as just about anyone can change the information to suit their point of view. What is the Wikipedia link so I can check how many edits and what kind have been made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlottetown_Accord

If you don't trust Wikipedia you could just read up on Canadian history you know. Easy really if you want to know something about Canada's history and understand what's at stake in this election for the people like you who live and work in Canada.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlottetown_Accord

If you don't trust Wikipedia you could just read up on Canadian history you know. Easy really if you want to know something about Canada's history and understand what's at stake in this election for the people like you who live and work in Canada.
Knowledge of Canadian history might be nice but it's hardly necessary in order to choose between today's candidates. In most constituencies the meaningful choice is Liberal or Conservative, the interests of most posters here would be best served by the Liberals as most posters here belong to special interest groups; immigrants, gays, or both. Beyond that most posters here are from the UK and so likely value the NHS or an equivalent, the social values touted by all parties but the Conservatives are in accord with this.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

This link is for everybody, including all you gay immigrants, who I'm told apparently form the majority on this board, that wish to learn more about Canada's recent political history and how policies and practices have evolved over the last 25 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Energy_Program

However, if you don't want to be bothered to learn anything about Canadian politics, you can just vote Liberal; no brain required for that.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

This link is for everybody, including all you gay immigrants, who I'm told apparently form the majority on this board, that wish to learn more about Canada's recent political history and how policies and practices have evolved over the last 25 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Energy_Program

However, if you don't want to be bothered to learn anything about Canadian politics, you can just vote Liberal; no brain required for that.
What is the relevance of the NEP, which ended in 1986, to this election?

I suggest that for the country as a whole it has no relevance. It was a policy that relatively disadvantaged Alberta for the good of Canada in general. That's not uncommon, rich provinces such as AB and ON invariably subsidize poorer ones such as NB and NL. These things shift over time and now, concieveably, NL could be subsidizing other provinces. Alberta was unusual in adopting a "me, me, me" attitude and Chi_Nook is unusual in suggesting an Alberta First policy is good for Canada as a whole but, for most people, the NEP was a long time ago and not terribly important in the first place.

Do you bear any other obscure grudges Chi_Nook?

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 17th 2008 at 4:39 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

you can just vote Liberal; no brain required for that.
That's rich coming from one of the sheep here in Conservative country.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That's rich coming from one of the sheep here in Conservative country.
Hey I will vote Conservative because I support their policies. If you want to vote for someone else thats your prerogative, but at least vote on information, not as some have suggested because your an immigrant you must vote Liberal; and your calling me sheep; thats rich!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Hey I will vote Conservative because I support their policies.
Which policies do you support? Thus far we've heard nothing about Conservative policies only bile spewed at the other parties.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

This link is for everybody, including all you gay immigrants, who I'm told apparently form the majority on this board
What a penoid.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:01 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Which policies do you support? Thus far we've heard nothing about Conservative policies only bile spewed at the other parties.
I believe chi_nook can be seen talking more about policies here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SeLSNzEorbI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.