Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Elderly parents in poor health. What chance of getting into Canada ???

Elderly parents in poor health. What chance of getting into Canada ???

Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Elderly parents in poor health. What chance of getting into Canada ???

Wasn't sure whether to post this thread in this forum, or the immigration forum to get the best response, so here goes anyway.

My sister in law (a PR since 2002) wants to sponsor her elderly parents to live with them in Canada.

My father in law is aged 77 and has had several heart attacks, a couple of mild strokes, and can hardly walk and needs a wheelchair most of the time. My mother in law is aged 71 and is overweight and has a thyroid disorder.

My sister in law thinks that it will be fairly straightforward for them to be accepted medically, but I am not convinced.

If they were to apply today, can anyone tell me the probable waiting time before they will be allowed into Canada assuming that they pass the medicals.

Finally can anyone tell me the real likelihood of a successful application, because I fear that they may be building up their hopes in vain.

Last edited by Gray C; Jan 29th 2006 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly parents in poor health. What chance of getting into Canada ???

Gray,

I'm in the same boat with my parents and we're not even in the country yet. They want us to sponsor them when we get there but I believe it takes between 1 to 3 years to process as parents are not seen as a priority If they are deemed to be too much of a drain on the health system in Canada they will not be allowed in as far as I understand. My Dad is in good health, but my Mum has a few health problems, but nothing major. I don't know if she would pass the medical?

Another solution (though not ideal) is that they can come and stay with you as a visitor for up to 6 months, but the length of time they can stay is down to the discretion of the immigration officer at port of entry.

Sorry, I can't really answer your question but I know it takes a while to process once you start to sponsor them

HTH?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Elderly parents in poor health. What chance of getting into Canada ???

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Gray,

I'm in the same boat with my parents and we're not even in the country yet. They want us to sponsor them when we get there but I believe it takes between 1 to 3 years to process as parents are not seen as a priority If they are deemed to be too much of a drain on the health system in Canada they will not be allowed in as far as I understand. My Dad is in good health, but my Mum has a few health problems, but nothing major. I don't know if she would pass the medical?

Another solution (though not ideal) is that they can come and stay with you as a visitor for up to 6 months, but the length of time they can stay is down to the discretion of the immigration officer at port of entry.

Sorry, I can't really answer your question but I know it takes a while to process once you start to sponsor them

HTH?

it takes more like 3-6 years to sponser parents or grandparents
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by celine_uk

But they could come in for six months then perhaps try for an extended Visa...or leave the country for the USA and return and have the visa stamped again for 6 months......just a thought as I knew a few elderly German people that did just that.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Really? Do you have experience of this? I am hoping to sponsor my dad but I didn't think it would take that long
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
Really? Do you have experience of this? I am hoping to sponsor my dad but I didn't think it would take that long
yep we're in the process of sponsoring my partners parents into Canada and they quoted anything from 3+ years.

check out http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...ml#sponsorship

grandparents
CPC
We have started to process application received in
Mississauga October 28,
2003 26-27 months

After Mississauga has approved you as a sponsor they send it to the embassy where your parents reside e.g. London, which will take another 2 years etc ……

But from what I’m hearing the wait to sponser parents will take anything from 5-6 years not 4 years
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Sorry, I don't really know much about the matter, but are you sure the government in Canada would pay for their health care and prescriptions?
Prescriptions here are very expensive, especially if you're not covered by a company or government plan.

Originally Posted by Gray C
Wasn't sure whether to post this thread in this forum, or the immigration forum to get the best response, so here goes anyway.

My sister in law (a PR since 2002) wants to sponsor her elderly parents to live with them in Canada.

My father in law is aged 77 and has had several heart attacks, a couple of mild strokes, and can hardly walk and needs a wheelchair most of the time. My mother in law is aged 71 and is overweight and has a thyroid disorder.

My sister in law thinks that it will be fairly straightforward for them to be accepted medically, but I am not convinced.

If they were to apply today, can anyone tell me the probable waiting time before they will be allowed into Canada assuming that they pass the medicals.

Finally can anyone tell me the real likelihood of a successful application, because I fear that they may be building up their hopes in vain.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:54 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
It took me less than twelve months to sponsor my Dad in 2003. I was a citizen by then and had been in Canada for seven years at that time. Not sure if that made a difference.

With regard to the OP - I would not bring elderly parents in ill health to this country. My Dad (sponsored by me) is dying right now and his dearest wish is to be laid to rest "at home". This is not his country, he came to be near his daughter and grandkids and now is in the final stages of terminal cancer with no money to go home and a sense of dislocation that is painful to him. No airline will fly him and no amount of medication will allow him to safely make the journey if we lie about his condition. The OP stated that his father had had strokes and heart attacks; sadly this means that his health would likely be considered a drain on the already crumbling healthcare system here. Perhaps your parents coming for six months in the first instance would be more a prudent move?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by dingbat
It took me less than twelve months to sponsor my Dad in 2003. I was a citizen by then and had been in Canada for seven years at that time. Not sure if that made a difference.

With regard to the OP - I would not bring elderly parents in ill health to this country. My Dad (sponsored by me) is dying right now and his dearest wish is to be laid to rest "at home". This is not his country, he came to be near his daughter and grandkids and now is in the final stages of terminal cancer with no money to go home and a sense of dislocation that is painful to him. No airline will fly him and no amount of medication will allow him to safely make the journey if we lie about his condition. The OP stated that his father had had strokes and heart attacks; sadly this means that his health would likely be considered a drain on the already crumbling healthcare system here. Perhaps your parents coming for six months in the first instance would be more a prudent move?
1. You applied before the quota was dropped, it is now over 2 years before Mississaugia even opens the application. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm....html#perm_res
then there is the overseas processing.
2. Parents in ill health as visitors, you should look at very closely and see if they are able to get travel medical insurance for a visit to Canada for exsisting conditions. If they are not covered and end up in a Canadian hospital it is very expensive.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. You applied before the quota was dropped, it is now over 2 years before Mississaugia even opens the application. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm....html#perm_res
then there is the overseas processing.
2. Parents in ill health as visitors, you should look at very closely and see if they are able to get travel medical insurance for a visit to Canada for exsisting conditions. If they are not covered and end up in a Canadian hospital it is very expensive.
My elderly parents, who are in poor health, recently visited. They were unable to obtain insurance coverage for the trip from any UK company. Dan Pugh of Knox Insurance Brokers (705) 474-4000 was able to arrange coverage but, of course, it excluded their pre-existing conditions.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
My elderly parents, who are in poor health, recently visited. They were unable to obtain insurance coverage for the trip from any UK company. Dan Pugh of Knox Insurance Brokers (705) 474-4000 was able to arrange coverage but, of course, it excluded their pre-existing conditions.
Hi

They have visited Canada before and managed to get insurance through Help the Aged, obviously with conditions attached.

Now that my sister in law has said she will sponsor them, it is a whole new ball game. I think they are getting their hopes up without much chance of realising their dream. It is just a case of too old, too ill and too late.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They have visited Canada before and managed to get insurance through Help the Aged, obviously with conditions attached.
I don't know if my parents tried Help the Aged, I've noted that for next time. I did get a quote through the AARP but the Knox one was cheaper. Interestingly, as they have different existing ailments, the policies were with different companies.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know if my parents tried Help the Aged, I've noted that for next time. I did get a quote through the AARP but the Knox one was cheaper. Interestingly, as they have different existing ailments, the policies were with different companies.
Hi dbd33

It was "Age Concern" not "Help the Aged" that they got their insurance through
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dingbat

Sorry to hear the news about your dad, how sad. However, I do not think that the same scenario would apply in our instance. They now live in one of worst crime ridden, yob cultured parts of Liverpool and if they were still in their right minds would never want to return to where they live now. Most of the area where they live is a no go area except for druggies, thieves and young kids riding around the streets on motorbikes, as though they are practicing to be the new Barry Sheen.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

See http://www.sponsoryourparents.ca/ for the real situation re parental sponsorship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.