Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Effect of UK Credit Rating now that I'm here in Canada?

Effect of UK Credit Rating now that I'm here in Canada?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Effect of UK Credit Rating now that I'm here in Canada?

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
IF they want to take the trouble and expense, yes they can chase you here. There is a reciprocal agreement between Canada & UK to enforce Court Judgements, but its complicated and costly so most dont bother.
I wish people would refrain from stating this. It is actually relatively straightforward and inexpensive to enforce such judgments. That is the whole purpose of the legislation in either country.

In theory, there is nothing stopping residents from most countries enforcing judgments in other jurisdictions. Where there is not a reciprocal arrangement, that is when it becomes complicated/expensive
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
...then theres the issue that a Canadian debt collector cannot legally enforce a UK debt...
Unless, of course, they obtain a Canadian judgment to enable them to enforce the English one, a relatively straightforward and inexpensive procedure.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:50 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Unless, of course, they obtain a Canadian judgment to enable them to enforce the English one, a relatively straightforward and inexpensive procedure.
...If they're prepared to go through the process of PROVING you live in Canada and then accept the risk of you simply moving back to the UK....
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jericho
...If they're prepared to go through the process of PROVING you live in Canada and then accept the risk of you simply moving back to the UK....
In which case they would be able to enforce it in either country. "Proof" would simply be via an affidavit from the creditor stating "reasonable" belief - no difficult really
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

alilane will become famous soon enough

sorry to hijack this thread slightly.... so what if you're declared bankrupt? How much of an effect does that have on your credit in Canada?

... not that we are - yet!! lol