Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Effect of UK Credit Rating now that I'm here in Canada?

Effect of UK Credit Rating now that I'm here in Canada?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice
Default Effect of UK Credit Rating now that I'm here in Canada?

OK, So long story short: A UK Credit Card Company is messing me aroung big-time, and some of my payments have been lost by them, thier investigations team do not speak to their payments team so I have fallen behind by a couple of months according to them.

Despite a good history with them over the last 10 years (5 of which I have been non-resident in the UK)... They have now placed a marker on my UK Credit Report :curse: And will continue to do so until this is resolved.

Now while I fight to get them to pull their fingers out of their preverbials.... I am wondering what effect my UK credit rating could have on me here in Canada now that I have settled.

A few facts:

Until now, I have had no bad marks and a good payment history (usually in full) on my UK Credit report. (Was actually quite good!)

I have been non-resident from the UK for 5 years, (However kept old uk address on account, no history of NZ addresses with them)

Last 5 years I have been in NZ, no bad payment history there.

Since landing in Canada (4 months ago) I have arranged a car loan, credit card, all utilities, cell phone, etc and am following all guidelines for building credit here... I'm renting with my OH (Canadian Citizen), not planning on buying a place for at least 18months.

Not ever returning to the UK to live. ( I know never say never, however all family and friends now overseas!)

I did change my statement address to my initial canadian address, however they do not have my current one.... they seem to have lost the form!

So really, my question is can I ignore this untill the credit card company fixes things..... or should I be concerned as I may never be able to sign up for anything ever again here in Canada??
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:28 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Effect of UK Credit Rating now that I'm here in Canada?

In your situation your UK credit history will have no effect on your Canadian Credit.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is my high card limit on two different cards and good record in the UK was meaningless when it came to applying for a card in Canada where I had no credit record.

I was initially refused one - until I gave them a record of my spending activity in Canada on the UK card.

It appears they can decide with no reference to a record outside of Canada, otherwise why refuse my initial application?

Of course that could mean they say 'no' to you. But others seem to have managed.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
In your situation your UK credit history will have no effect on your Canadian Credit.
Good to hear!.... Thanks....

Thought it would be the case, just didn't want to have a hidden issue following me around in Canada just because the CC company's mistake in the UK!

Righty, keep building credit in Canada then!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
All I can say is my high card limit on two different cards and good record in the UK was meaningless when it came to applying for a card in Canada where I had no credit record.

I was initially refused one - until I gave them a record of my spending activity in Canada on the UK card.

It appears they can decide with no reference to a record outside of Canada, otherwise why refuse my initial application?

Of course that could mean they say 'no' to you. But others seem to have managed.
Yeah... I understand that most Canadian CC companies don't really care about your "Good" record in the UK and prefer you to build up a Canadian record before they'll take a risk on you..... However, was concerned that they would pay attention to any "Bad" information on your credit history.

Especially when some of the credit search companies operate in both markets... Or are they not allowed to pass info internationally without your permission??
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:11 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Especially when some of the credit search companies operate in both markets... Or are they not allowed to pass info internationally without your permission??
I don't know about the legality of it, bu there must be some issues with different privacy laws.

But I think it may be simpler than that, without you giving them all the relevant information, how do they know that the UK Ramsey is the same as the NZ Ramsey is the same as the Canadian Ramsey.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here 6 weeks.
Following a similar thread on here last week, I went in to my bank on Saturday and asked for a credit card.*
She filled out the app and said it should be no problem.
Found out today I've been approved for a $5k limit.

*I offered my UK credit report but she wasnt interested and said it's all done automatically. Only a Canadian report would be valid, and as yet I have no credit rating, so she checked my income etc and hey presto....

To anyone else interested, I would advise against filling out online applications, and go in to your bank instead. I'm with RBC.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

doomie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
I've been here 6 weeks.
Following a similar thread on here last week, I went in to my bank on Saturday and asked for a credit card.*
She filled out the app and said it should be no problem.
Found out today I've been approved for a $5k limit.

*I offered my UK credit report but she wasnt interested and said it's all done automatically. Only a Canadian report would be valid, and as yet I have no credit rating, so she checked my income etc and hey presto....

To anyone else interested, I would advise against filling out online applications, and go in to your bank instead. I'm with RBC.
If you have an American Express card you can sort of transfer your credit history from one country to another. But it is definitely not automatic.

I second the statement about online applications for credit cards. If you're new to Canada (less than 6 months), your credit history will be marked as "too new to rate" by Equifax/etc and your application will most likely be refused. If you go to a branch and get a chequing account, they'll definitely try to 'sel'l you a credit card anyway. Just be prepared to show them your immigration papers, passport, proof of residence and so on.

I brought a friend of mine to RBC to open an account and a credit card. He had come to Canada less than 24 hours before that, was on a student visa, had no SIN, no job etc. The fact that I was already an RBC client and that I was with him seemed to make a difference and he got his credit card in the mail several days later. So if you have a friend who's in Canada already, ask him to take you to a branch and it might make things easier (well, with my RBC branch at least ).

Note that given the current credit crisis they might be less inclined to give credit to random people off the street

HTH,
Doomie
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doomie
If you have an American Express card you can sort of transfer your credit history from one country to another. But it is definitely not automatic.

I second the statement about online applications for credit cards. If you're new to Canada (less than 6 months), your credit history will be marked as "too new to rate" by Equifax/etc and your application will most likely be refused. If you go to a branch and get a chequing account, they'll definitely try to 'sel'l you a credit card anyway. Just be prepared to show them your immigration papers, passport, proof of residence and so on.

I brought a friend of mine to RBC to open an account and a credit card. He had come to Canada less than 24 hours before that, was on a student visa, had no SIN, no job etc. The fact that I was already an RBC client and that I was with him seemed to make a difference and he got his credit card in the mail several days later. So if you have a friend who's in Canada already, ask him to take you to a branch and it might make things easier (well, with my RBC branch at least ).

Note that given the current credit crisis they might be less inclined to give credit to random people off the street

HTH,
Doomie
Cheers for the info....

As I said above.... am fully aware of the use (or lack there of) of a uk credit report when it comes to getting a credit card (or any credit) here.... Indeed, I have plenty of credit products in my name here in Canada.....

Was just questioning that if, for example, I decided to just not pay my UK credit card as they are annoying me.... would the resulting black mark end up affecting me here??

Along those lines.... if you were to have an outstanding uk debt.... are they able to take legal action here in Canada??

Also.... how long was it before they write your debt off as bad-debt???

Got me thinking now....
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:34 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I had a zero balance on my UK Amex card, and it was used fraudulently (at Luton Airport) a year or more after I moved to Canada.

I could prove I wasn't in the UK at the time it was used, but it took over 6mths to get Amex to clear the balance. During that time Amex appointed a debt collection agency to chase me for the money in Canada. I had many phone calls in the middle of the night, despite them knowing I lived abroad, the hassle of responding to weekly correspondence and threats of CCJ's from the debt collectors.

Amex seemed perfectly happy to chase me half way round the world for a little over a few hundred quid.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
I had a zero balance on my UK Amex card, and it was used fraudulently (at Luton Airport) a year or more after I moved to Canada.

I could prove I wasn't in the UK at the time it was used, but it took over 6mths to get Amex to clear the balance. During that time Amex appointed a debt collection agency to chase me for the money in Canada. I had many phone calls in the middle of the night, despite them knowing I lived abroad, the hassle of responding to weekly correspondence and threats of CCJ's from the debt collectors.

Amex seemed perfectly happy to chase me half way round the world for a little over a few hundred quid.
Yeah.... I'm getting the calls in the middle of the night right now!.... The collections team are trying to get money that the investigations team are trying to find..... if only the spoke to each-other....

Anyways, I digress.... While they can chase you, and ring you.... are they legally able to reclaim the funds from you?.... OK the CCJ will be a pain if you ever went back, but what if you dont go back??

The amount involved aren't really worth the international crime status, but it would be interesting to know what they can/can't do
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Was it used by Lorraine Chase?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:06 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Yeah.... I'm getting the calls in the middle of the night right now!.... The collections team are trying to get money that the investigations team are trying to find..... if only the spoke to each-other....

Anyways, I digress.... While they can chase you, and ring you.... are they legally able to reclaim the funds from you?.... OK the CCJ will be a pain if you ever went back, but what if you dont go back??

The amount involved aren't really worth the international crime status, but it would be interesting to know what they can/can't do
IF they want to take the trouble and expense, yes they can chase you here. There is a reciprocal agreement between Canada & UK to enforce Court Judgements, but its complicated and costly so most dont bother. They can always sell the debt to a local enforcer, though normally its not worth it.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:15 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
They can always sell the debt to a local enforcer, though normally its not worth it.
Except first they have to prove you're actually in Canada, and then theres the issue that a Canadian debt collector cannot legally enforce a UK debt...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.