Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

EEEk! Going to Calgary too fast?

EEEk! Going to Calgary too fast?

Old May 9th 2006, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future
Default EEEk! Going to Calgary too fast?

After years of things going too slowly, they're now going too fast!
We have our PR status and have planned a research trip to Calgary in July/August. We put the house on the market to 'see what would happen'. That was 10 days ago. Today we had an offer and they want to complete and move in BEFORE we go! :scared:

I guess we'd be daft not to accept the offer, but we've been to Vancouver and Toronto, but not Calgary.... What if we don't like it?.....

It's looking like we will just not come back ( BTW, can you get any money back on a chartered flight if you don't use the return part of your ticket?)

The buyers also want a lot of our furniture,so I have been looking on the Brick and Ikea websites to see if we could replace things cheaper than shipping them out!

All we need now is a couple of jobs to go to and I can stop worrying!
Old May 9th 2006, 8:13 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of
Default Re: EEEk! Going to Calgary too fast?

Originally Posted by Rachelmark

We have our PR status and have planned a research trip to Calgary in July/August. We put the house on the market to 'see what would happen'. That was 10 days ago. Today we had an offer and they want to complete and move in BEFORE we go! :scared:

I guess we'd be daft not to accept the offer, but we've been to Vancouver and Toronto, but not Calgary.... What if we don't like it?.....

It's looking like we will just not come back ( BTW, can you get any money back on a chartered flight if you don't use the return part of your ticket?)

The buyers also want a lot of our furniture,so I have been looking on the Brick and Ikea websites to see if we could replace things cheaper than shipping them out!

Congratualations on selling your house so quickly. Just take one step at a time, there is enough information on this forum and other websites to decide whether you want a larger city like Toronto or Vancouver or one slightly smaller like Calgary. Just think about what you want when you get here and where it is best for you to achieve it.
I have not heard of getting a return on part of the ticket not used, they always assume you are coming back!

Regarding jobs, I am sure you have already checked out the websites that are online for jobs, but don't worry too much too early.

From what I have heard the fact that you have sold your house so quickly is great news and if they want your furniture then just accept it and think that when you get your house in Canada you will have to get new things.
Old May 9th 2006, 11:35 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Congratualations on selling your house so quickly. Just take one step at a time, there is enough information on this forum and other websites to decide whether you want a larger city like Toronto or Vancouver or one slightly smaller like Calgary. Just think about what you want when you get here and where it is best for you to achieve it.
I have not heard of getting a return on part of the ticket not used, they always assume you are coming back!

Regarding jobs, I am sure you have already checked out the websites that are online for jobs, but don't worry too much too early.

From what I have heard the fact that you have sold your house so quickly is great news and if they want your furniture then just accept it and think that when you get your house in Canada you will have to get new things.
Helen, isnt it true that geographically Calgary is the second largest city in Canada???
Old May 9th 2006, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Helen, isnt it true that geographically Calgary is the second largest city in Canada???

No. I think it's Montreal or Vancouver.
Old May 9th 2006, 11:41 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
No. I think it's Montreal or Vancouver.
Area wise I would strongly doubt Montreal ranks larger than Calgary
Old May 10th 2006, 3:55 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If Wikipedia counts as a credible source, Calgary is Canada's 36th largest city by area, Toronto is 43rd, and Montreal is 86th. Vancouver does not feature in the top 100.
Old May 10th 2006, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rachelmark

Hi RachelMark

Excellent news trust me! the money you make will easily cover the cost of a house twice the size, jobs are plentiful on the alberta front!

http://www.pao.gov.ab.ca for provincial government jobs
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca national job bank
http://www.jobs.gc.ca Federal government jobs
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/index.html local paper with jobs

after landing in october i got a job straight away, didnt like it much then worked fro the provincial gov as a temp and not got full time emplyment doing what i want to with good money.

I must admit it is scary at first but if you and your other are willing to ake it work it will happen trust me, im here sipping my jack daniels with coke in 8 months since arriving its all been worth it

when you arrive within the first couple of days visit the provincial government buidlings in any of the cities and apply for your SIN, this takes approx 2 weeks for the card and about 3 days for the number, in that time enquire about getting your Class 5 alberta driver licence.

recommendations, courses to take is fisrt aid, edit your CV now should be resume, keep it simple IE Diploma not BTEC or City and guilds. or Degree not HND i think yo get the idea, if you have the origanal Nine out of ten employers will except it, hey they did with me. the covering letter is just as importatant, goto www.monster.ca for tips of resume writing and applying they are more people orientated here IE open approach relaxed/ talkitive than UK

as to that if any one wants copies of resume and covering letters without my personal information ill be happy to send them, can contact me via here or also [email protected]

Laters and all the best
Old May 10th 2006, 2:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If Wikipedia counts as a credible source, Calgary is Canada's 36th largest city by area, Toronto is 43rd, and Montreal is 86th. Vancouver does not feature in the top 100.
Well you could knock me down with a feather!!!!
Old May 10th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Well you could knock me down with a feather!!!!
LOL - wouldn't surprise me with those cross-eyes of yours
Old May 10th 2006, 2:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Calgal
LOL - wouldn't surprise me with those cross-eyes of yours
Cheeky
Anyway when you in Van? Fancy a drink with Mrs C? ( I need someone to check she's behaving)
Old May 10th 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky
Anyway when you in Van? Fancy a drink with Mrs C? ( I need someone to check she's behaving)
LOL. Can't stop, I have to run (shouldn't really be in here) I have loads to do. Catch you later. Check yer mail box
Old May 10th 2006, 3:17 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you get the taxes back that you have paid on your flight. I know I have done this many times on flights within UK and Europe so would assume it would be the same with longhaul
Old May 10th 2006, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Is that just based on incorporated city limits? If so, i guess it doesn't really mean too much. "Greater Montreal", for instance, is really what most people think of when they think of "montreal" and that includes most of the surrounding mainland cities. Which is a vast area.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Old May 10th 2006, 4:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by neill
Is that just based on incorporated city limits? If so, i guess it doesn't really mean too much. "Greater Montreal", for instance, is really what most people think of when they think of "montreal" and that includes most of the surrounding mainland cities. Which is a vast area.
Is there a GMA in the same way that there is a GTA?
Old May 10th 2006, 5:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a GMA in the same way that there is a GTA?
Yes.

If you go beyond each core city and consider the census metropolitan area of which it is the centre, Edmonton is the largest by area. Metropolitan rankings by area are as follows:
Edmonton Capital Region : 9,418 sq km (1 million population)

Greater Toronto Area : over 7,000 sq km (5.6 million population)

Ottawa (National Capital Region, straddling Ontario and Quebec) : 5,318.36 sq km (1.15 million population)

Calgary Metropolitan Area (including Airdrie, Cochrane, Chestermere, Beiseker and Municipal District of Rocky View) : 5,083 sq km (1 million population)

Greater Montreal Area : 4,047 sq km (3.7 million population)

Greater Vancouver Regional District (essentially western half of Lower Mainland) : 2,879 sq km (2.5 million population)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.