Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

educational credential assessment

educational credential assessment

Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

TheCanary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default educational credential assessment

I am planning to move to Toronto next year and I would like some advise on how to convert my qualifications that have been completed outside canada to a canadian equivalent. I am a BSc,Masters and a PGCE. I want to work for adult education institutions not schools.

Can anyone please direct me into the right direction? thank you.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: educational credential assessment

I used this service, as directed by the professional registration body for my profession: http://www.wes.org/ca/immigrants/index.asp
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Oh thank you for your reply. I have heard of this service, and im told it is quite well known by employers.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCanary
I am planning to move to Toronto next year and I would like some advise on how to convert my qualifications that have been completed outside canada to a canadian equivalent. I am a BSc,Masters and a PGCE. I want to work for adult education institutions not schools.

Would you really want to work for an organisation that doesn't know what a BSc or a Masters are?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

As a UK Secondary teacher with similar qualifications I went through the IQAS and the Alberta Teachers Association. The ATA were are more concerned with my O and A Levels.

You can apply to IQAS prior to arrival check with the Professional Associations if you are able to, you may have to wait until landing.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Would you really want to work for an organisation that doesn't know what a BSc or a Masters are?
Well said. No "translation" is necessary if your qualifications are from a UK University. If you want to teach in schools, you'll need to deal with the provincial college of teachers. For adult education it'll depend on the type of employer (public/private sector?) and rules will likely vary according to the province.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well said. No "translation" is necessary if your qualifications are from a UK University. If you want to teach in schools, you'll need to deal with the provincial college of teachers. For adult education it'll depend on the type of employer (public/private sector?) and rules will likely vary according to the province.
Ok thank you i had no idea, i just assumed I had to get my qualifications converted to the canadian equivalent. I do not want to work in schools as im not qualified to do this. I have a PGCE in further and adult education so I will see what the rules are for Ontario.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I found that there is no equivalency of qualifications: I hold a B.A plus a Masters (and a PGCE and the NPQH for teaching) and I have found that unless the qualifications are from Canadian Universities there is no 'translation'. In fact I've been constanly asked for a Grade 12 Diploma and guess what courtesy of the IQAS my 'O' and 'A' Levels are the equivalent of first year undergraduate studies here. Please don't assume that qualifications have equivalency here because they don't.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thank you i had no idea, i just assumed I had to get my qualifications converted to the canadian equivalent. I do not want to work in schools as im not qualified to do this. I have a PGCE in further and adult education so I will see what the rules are for Ontario.
lmartin999 is the poster you need to ask for a definitive answer.

Cheers.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It is not unreasonable for someone in Canada to expect a Canadian assessment in order to be sure the BSc is from a genuine university.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:53 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is not unreasonable for someone in Canada to expect a Canadian assessment in order to be sure the BSc is from a genuine university.
This might be true if the OP was from China, Iran, Pakistan or Australia.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

My OH had to get his british post secondary ed "Canadianised". He had College combined with experience which they translated into a Bachelors degree
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
I agree that employers need to be sure foreign qualifications are genuine. I mean you hear so many stories about how easily false documentation can be obtained. The Immigration process it self needed unopened envelopes from my Universities so why shouldnt employers want an easy way to find out if qualifications are genuine at the applicants expense.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is actually asking the institutions themselves before applying for a job.