British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Education System - Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/education-system-canada-670517/)

Abdulno2 May 31st 2010 7:39 pm

Education System - Canada

Hello, I have an enquiry about the education system in Canada my parents are planning to move to Canada this summer. I am very excited but want to know about a few things.
I am doing my GCSE's In English Language, Mathematics, Core science, Additional science and German(C - achieved) the rest of my results will be coming out on the 24Th of August. All of my exams are on the Edexcel exam board and I will be able to obtain my results online and my certificate will come around November. So my first question is can I print off my results and then show the colleges? My second question is when I go to apply what are there requirements what is the structure? My third question can I do A-Levels(Windsor)? Will this been seen as an advantage or disadvantage for Canadian universities. Thank you.
:thumbsup::wub:

jericho May 31st 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Education System - Canada

Originally Posted by Abdulno2 (Post 8602176)
Hello, I have an enquiry about the education system in Canada my parents are planning to move to Canada this summer. I am very excited but want to know about a few things.
I am doing my GCSE's In English Language, Mathematics, Core science, Additional science and German(C - achieved) the rest of my results will be coming out on the 24Th of August. All of my exams are on the Edexcel exam board and I will be able to obtain my results online and my certificate will come around November. So my first question is can I print off my results and then show the colleges? My second question is when I go to apply what are there requirements what is the structure? My third question can I do A-Levels(Windsor)? Will this been seen as an advantage or disadvantage for Canadian universities. Thank you.
:thumbsup::wub:

My understanding is you'll need to graduate through the Canadian high school system... so you're in school for another 2 years.
Not sure how correct this is, but no doubt someone more informed will be along shortly...

Abdulno2 May 31st 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 8602208)
My understanding is you'll need to graduate through the Canadian high school system... so you're in school for another 2 years.
Not sure how correct this is, but no doubt someone more informed will be along shortly...

Oh right, I'm finishing my GCSE's this year. Thanks for your help hopefully I will get more help:eek::rofl::rofl::p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

snoopster May 31st 2010 9:44 pm

I would ditto the other reply. You'll need to go back to school here and graduate with a high school diploma - the equivalent of A levels in the UK. GCSEs are not a direct equivalent of the Canadian high school certificate. Over here, kids are in school until 18 so it's important you continue your education in high school till you're 18 especially if you want to get into college (university) here.

fledermaus Jun 1st 2010 12:34 am

You might want to get copies of the syllabus for all your subjects to show to your new school in Canada.

Cookie Jun 1st 2010 12:41 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8602665)
You might want to get copies of the syllabus for all your subjects to show to your new school in Canada.

Your new Canadian school should give you credits for your UK results too (my son got them when he began his Canadian education at the start of the 2nd semester of Grade 10) :)

ann m Jun 1st 2010 1:17 am

Originally Posted by snoopster (Post 8602442)
You'll need to go back to school here and graduate with a high school diploma - the equivalent of A levels in the UK. GCSEs are not a direct equivalent of the Canadian high school certificate.

I'd disagree that a Canadian High School Diploma is equivalent to A levels :sneaky: but that's a whole other discussion.

But anyway - anecdoctal evidence on this forum suggests that GCSE's will give you some credits through Grade 10 and/or Grade 11.

If you are 16 now, you will complete Grade 11 and Grade 12 here and then the world is your lobster. A High School Diploma works on a credits type system and you need to 'earn' a certain amount in order to graduate.

Doing two more years of school here should give you a great opportunity to meet people and settle in. Good luck with it all.

manvir Jun 1st 2010 8:56 am

I am in a similar situation to Abdulno2, but am completing my GCSE's a year early. Can anyone tell me what effects this may have on my schooling in Ontario? If all goes to plan we should be moving in a few weeks.

jericho Jun 1st 2010 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by manvir (Post 8603223)
I am in a similar situation to Abdulno2, but am completing my GCSE's a year early. Can anyone tell me what effects this may have on my schooling in Ontario? If all goes to plan we should be moving in a few weeks.

As with the OP, you're going to need to graduate through the Canadian high school system.

manvir Jun 1st 2010 12:44 pm

So does that mean another 2 years or another 3? Hope its only 2:fingerscrossed:

Thanks for the reply:)

ann m Jun 1st 2010 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by manvir (Post 8603621)
So does that mean another 2 years or another 3? Hope its only 2:fingerscrossed:

Thanks for the reply:)

May depend a lot on you and your parents choices and attitudes, as well as the education board.

If you are 15 now, You should go into Grade 10 in September. You may or may not be allowed to enter Grade 11 with your educational transcripts. Do you want to go into a class of kids a year older than you? They will all drive earlier than you, drink earlier than you, maybe do a whole pile of stuff earlier than you!? ;)

There are benefits and drawbacks. But enjoy it, regardless :)

britsnake Jun 1st 2010 1:32 pm

The first thing I have to say, is that there is no Canadian education system; it varies from province to province.

Generally speaking, GCSEs are equivalent to Grade 11 in the canadian system, so it is possible that you will only need to do one more year.

To get your high school diploma, you need certain credits at grade 11, and certain credits at grade 12. You will have to do all the grade 11 courses which you do not already have plus all the grade 12. So depending on how well you do at your GCSEs and how good a match it is for the high school diploma you will have to do an additional 1 or 2 years.

One of my friends children who moved to Ontario, only had to do an additional year. Check out the Wiki on Schooling for more information. You can also check out the requirements for a high school diploma in Ontario

manvir Jun 1st 2010 2:39 pm

They will all drive earlier than you, drink earlier than you, maybe do a whole pile of stuff earlier than you!?
Not really too fussed about that but i see your point:)

Have read the articles britsnake suggested and it turns out i only need to complete a few of the courses.

Thanks for all the help:)

Abdulno2 Jun 1st 2010 5:13 pm

Oh right but I am doing my GCSE's a year late im 17 so i will be 18 next year, would this decrease my chances of getting in school over there baring in mind my dad was severely ill and I spent most my time taking care of him and when I did'nt it stressed me.

britsnake Jun 1st 2010 5:58 pm

Being a year late should not be a problem. Whether you are a year late or not in Canada will depend on when your bithday is as they use different cut off dates to the UK.

There is of course the option of going the adult education route. Some people enrol at an adult education centre and get their high school diploma there. This route is normally for those 18 and over.

Adult learning in ontario

Once you know where you are going, contact the local school board, and they will be able to advise you.