Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Education, GCSEs for Canada

Education, GCSEs for Canada

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

DaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Education, GCSEs for Canada

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Tom
Well it's just been confirmed that instead of Alberta it should be British Columbia as that is where the job offer is. That means the info in the pdf is relevant right? Going over it in more detail now, when it says for the Portfolio that Work experience would be needed might my 2 weeks full time teaching work at a Primary School arranged by my school in england count? Sorry to keep pestering you about this, really is appreciated though
Bring all certificates etc that you can.

If it's BC then you should probably enter Grade 11 and arrive in time to contemplate summer school if necessary.

You might look at
http://www.brits2bc.com/schooling.htm

My sons school website:
http://kitsilano.vsb.bc.ca/
checkout Students -> course planning guide, to give some ideas
Also Career Centre -> Admission requirements for Uni (if you intend to go)

We also moved from Yorkshire too. Where are you heading?
Helen
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire Tom is on a distinguished road

Not too sure yet, just know it's the province of BC. Busy parents can't decide just yet. What part of yorkshire are you from?
Going to take a look at the links you provided in the morning, thanks for your help.
Tom
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:08 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Get a reference from the school you taught at (what was it - work experience?). Most schools will not accept anything that is not referenced within the last year for the Portfolio.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

DaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Tom
Not too sure yet, just know it's the province of BC. Busy parents can't decide just yet. What part of yorkshire are you from?
Going to take a look at the links you provided in the morning, thanks for your help.
Tom
We moved from Sheffield 2.5 yrs ago and my son entered grade 10 here, but hadn't even started GCSEs in UK. He is really enjoying life here, especially the skiing.

If you are coming to Vancouver area you need to join
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Brits2Vancouver/

Helen
Old Feb 25th 2006, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Education, GCSEs for Canada

Originally Posted by offwego
We arrived in Alberta in August and my daughter had just finished her GCSEs and was awaiting her results. Her results were faxed to my husband's office on results day.
The High School here was great, they awarded my daughter with 5 points for each GCSE course taken, this total will go towards her final diploma in Grade 12. So really it was the equivalent of being at High School for Grade 10, although she is now in Grade 11. (Senior High is Grade 10 - 12)

I would recommend that your son starts Grade 11. That way he has two years of High School and plenty of time to plan for further/higher ed.

Thanks a lot for your info. I guess we need to try and time it to move just after GCSEs, (the waiting time for Visas is loooong, anyway, so lots of time to prepare!).

Your daughter has time to get used to school over a 2 year period, and get familiar with University requirements. I've read that school there is enjoyable for the most part. We'll head to Calgary again soon, for a 'recce,' and should try and link up with a school for a visit.

All the Best.