Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton wants more imigrants!

Edmonton wants more imigrants!

Old Apr 15th 2006, 5:00 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton wants more imigrants!

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I've got to go and cook dinner in a mo., so please do a search on this website,
This web-site :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

If you are applying under the skilled worker category ... yes the one that currently takes about 4 years!! ..... You have to qualify on points. There is a self-assessment avaliable online at the CIC site to see if you qualify. Once you get in you are under no obligation to be in any particular job, (nor do you have a right to one!) but you can live anywhere in Canada (except you cannot "land" in Quebec as they have their own landing visas and process).

Various provinces will arrange your entry via their provincial nominee programme (PNP) if you are in an occupation that they want. That MAY be a shorter route. Then you are abliged to remain in that province (doing that work I suppose)

Some people are able to secure an approved job and come over on a temporary work permit while their application progresses. The drawback is that you have to find the job before you are resident here, then it's hard to change jobs if you hate it, as you could lose your permit and have to return to UK. Also, at the end of the day, you may not be assessed as having enough points for skilled worker and not get your visa anyway, although actually having an arranged job gets you points to your application, so that is a GOOD thing.

Hope that helps .... but all the details are on the CIC site.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

RE: PNP

It sure is quicker! We have applied via Alberta PNP, we posted our application to CHC London in Feb'06 and received our passport requests yesterday less than two months later ! We'll be arriving in Edmonton on 3rd August. Obviously it's not quite that simple, we had to get the job offer and subsequently the PNP certificate first. We have been looking into our immigration options for two years at least but didn't score enough points for a skilled worker application. We were very lucky that the PNP option opened up to us as a result of a phone enquiry to my future employer. Just a case of being in the right place at the right time. It really is worthwhile making enquiries directly with potential employers and I do believe that the Alberta Government website now has a database of employers registered for the PNP and lists positions available. If you haven't done so already I'd strongly recommend you check it out. You can access the site via the CIC website mentioned above, just follow the links for PNP then click on Alberta. You never know you might just get lucky!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Grap is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ralstne
RE: PNP

It sure is quicker! We have applied via Alberta PNP, we posted our application to CHC London in Feb'06 and received our passport requests yesterday less than two months later ! We'll be arriving in Edmonton on 3rd August. Obviously it's not quite that simple, we had to get the job offer and subsequently the PNP certificate first. We have been looking into our immigration options for two years at least but didn't score enough points for a skilled worker application. We were very lucky that the PNP option opened up to us as a result of a phone enquiry to my future employer. Just a case of being in the right place at the right time. It really is worthwhile making enquiries directly with potential employers and I do believe that the Alberta Government website now has a database of employers registered for the PNP and lists positions available. If you haven't done so already I'd strongly recommend you check it out. You can access the site via the CIC website mentioned above, just follow the links for PNP then click on Alberta. You never know you might just get lucky!
Congratulations and out of general interest what occupation were you chasing and that got you accepted so quickly please?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

ralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant futureralstne has a brilliant future

Currently a serving Met police officer in London, soon to be an Edmonton Police officer.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Grap is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ralstne
Currently a serving Met police officer in London, soon to be an Edmonton Police officer.
LOL, not an occupation that interests me sadly, I am a Computer consultant and much much tgo old to train as a PC. Well done you and hope it goes really well.

Take care