Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton wants more imigrants!

Edmonton wants more imigrants!

Old Apr 14th 2006, 7:13 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Edmonton wants more imigrants!

Aparently Edmonton is feeling left out with regards to getting it's share of imigrants!

Edmonton Journal Link

Wonder if they will give me a job and PR?!?!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton wants more imigrants!

Originally Posted by port7
Aparently Edmonton is feeling left out with regards to getting it's share of imigrants!

Edmonton Journal Link

Me too!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Grap is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by port7

Edmonton Journal Link

Me too, anyone got a job? LOL
Old Apr 15th 2006, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, why don't they tell the Canadian government to send them all of us who've applied for PR listing Edmonton as their destination?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarkG
Well, why don't they tell the Canadian government to send them all of us who've applied for PR listing Edmonton as their destination?

TOTALLY AGREE! Why two years anyway? I love the country and want to go ASAP, they need people, wheres the problem?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

boogieman is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah count me in!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grap
TOTALLY AGREE! Why two years anyway? I love the country and want to go ASAP, they need people, wheres the problem?
I agree with you, but 'cos they've lowered the points for SW many more are putting in applications, hence the backlog. More applications are sent to CHC London than there are visa's available/issued each year If you don't want to wait that long then try and get a job over there. It's more risky, but another way in. You can get up to 15 points towards your PR application. Good if you know you score below 67 points

Edited - to add more info.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I agree with you, but 'cos they've lowered the points for SW many more are putting in applications, hence the backlog. More applications are sent to CHC London than there are visa's available/issued each year If you don't want to wait that long then try and get a job over there. It's more risky, but another way in. You can get up to 15 points towards your PR application. Good if you know you score below 67 points

Edited - to add more info.

Thanks for that, useful information. I applied (rightly or wrongly) through a Canadian Immigratio consultant through Canada. Wonder if that makes a difference?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

lets get real here for a second..

do you really think applying in edmonton will increase the chances of getting approved? or will it simply fasten the process?

has this ever happened in another province? and if yes, how were applications processed? faster, easier??
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that, useful information. I applied (rightly or wrongly) through a Canadian Immigratio consultant through Canada. Wonder if that makes a difference?
We didn't use an immigration consultant and we didn't get in. However, we were mis-informed before we applied re. my hubby's points for education, therefore when CHC looked at our application they knocked 5 points off, taking us below the passmark.

I know of other families who haven't used a immigration consultant and got in. I also know of one couple who applied and didn't get in the first time round and they used an immigration consultant who cocked up on the hubby's education points, so they had to go through the whole process again. They are now in Canada.

If you have not yet applied, the forms are not difficult to fill in. Make sure your application is as complete as possible i.e. your education, where you've lived since age of 18, work experience and references etc. It took us 2 months to get all the paperwork together before we sent our application to CHC.

You either have the points or you don't. An immigration expert can't magic up qualifications or years of education you don't have. You can also try the Provincial Nominee Program.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by boogieman
lets get real here for a second..

do you really think applying in edmonton will increase the chances of getting approved? or will it simply fasten the process?

has this ever happened in another province? and if yes, how were applications processed? faster, easier??
No it won't. If you're in the UK, you still have to join the queue with thousands of others in London. The wait I believe is currently 39 months and growing for Skilled Worker applicants
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
We didn't use an immigration consultant and we didn't get in. However, we were mis-informed before we applied re. my hubby's points for education, therefore when CHC looked at our application they knocked 5 points off, taking us below the passmark.

I know of other families who haven't used a immigration consultant and got in. I also know of one couple who applied and didn't get in the first time round and they used an immigration consultant who cocked up on the hubby's education points, so they had to go through the whole process again. They are now in Canada.

If you have not yet applied, the forms are not difficult to fill in. Make sure your application is as complete as possible i.e. your education, where you've lived since age of 18, work experience and references etc. It took us 2 months to get all the paperwork together before we sent our application to CHC.

You either have the points or you don't. An immigration expert can't magic up qualifications or years of education you don't have. You can also try the Provincial Nominee Program.

Points are not the issue for us (I hope) we have 82 currently and my MBA finishes in July that will up them some more. However 39 months does not inspire me with a sense of fun??? Are we sure about this timeline?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

can somebody please tell me what this widely talked about 'POINT SYSTEM' is and what type of resident visa one applies under for that point system???
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Points are not the issue for us (I hope) we have 82 currently and my MBA finishes in July that will up them some more. However 39 months does not inspire me with a sense of fun??? Are we sure about this timeline?

You are speaking to someone who has been in process since late 2003!!! If you don't believe me please look on the CHC website, I'm not kidding about the long wait. If you read my previous post you'll see why.

Like I said before, if you try and get a job over there you could strike lucky, depending on your profession? If you've already applied for Permanent Residency from the UK, you get a job offer, then a work permit, and you go. After a year of working in Canada you get the extra points and your PR might go through a bit quicker because you're already living/working there.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by boogieman
can somebody please tell me what this widely talked about 'POINT SYSTEM' is and what type of resident visa one applies under for that point system???

I've got to go and cook dinner in a mo., so please do a search on this website, there is loads of info. and we even have a couple of experts who come on and give advice.

You can apply under Skilled Worker, Family Class, Work Permit or PNP as far as I can think of. If you have close family there, lucky you 'cos they can sponsor you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.