Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton, Vancouver or Calgary - we need a decision. Thoughts?

Edmonton, Vancouver or Calgary - we need a decision. Thoughts?

Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton, Vancouver or Calgary - we need a decision. Thoughts?

If there is a job for you in any of the three cities, and you only take one of them - does that mean we can pimp out the other two job postings to our readers?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:42 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m View Post
If there is a job for you in any of the three cities, and you only take one of them - does that mean we can pimp out the other two job postings to our readers?
I will take the Edmonton one...
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m View Post

Right. Looks like the decision has been made for us!

Phone call with Canada over, and it's looking like they'd want him to be based in Calgary. So I'm off to have a good read and a think and a cup of tea.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skara View Post

Right. Looks like the decision has been made for us!

Phone call with Canada over, and it's looking like they'd want him to be based in Calgary. So I'm off to have a good read and a think and a cup of tea.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts so far.
If you are going to be based in Calgary, I can highly recommend the areas around Strathcona and Christie Park.

Westside Rec is nearby, and a brand new High School will open next year. The LRT extension to downtown will be ready 2012 too.

Great family area.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
If you are going to be based in Calgary, I can highly recommend the areas around Strathcona and Christie Park.

Westside Rec is nearby, and a brand new High School will open next year. The LRT extension to downtown will be ready 2012 too.

Great family area.
Oh, brilliant. I'll have a look just now - thanks for that!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There are no bad areas of Calgary. What you will like will depend upon personal preference. His salary will likely be higher in Calgary too. I am sure you will love it.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:20 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Fair enough. There's always one.

But seriously, it might be helpful to the OP if you explained the reasoning behind your choice.

As I said, I don't have a dog in this race.
Make that two...i had the chance and was actively encouraged to go to Vancouver to do the same job for the same money...but i chose Edmonton because i didnt want to live in Vancouver.

Where people end up is their own personal preference and im not going to blow any trumpets about Edmonton or anywhere else...it suits me for now thats all that matters.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:27 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dont mind me asking, what field of work does your hubby work in?

P.S. When you visit Calgary, make sure you visit Pete's Drive-In, the shakes and burgers are fantastic, but don't ask for a large fries (as they are v-large!)
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonfiction View Post
Vancouver POV here ... The important thing is to have an open, positive mindset wherever you go and be ready to adapt. Try new stuff and do as the Romans do and all that.
Excellent post IMHO.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by port7 View Post
If you dont mind me asking, what field of work does your hubby work in?

P.S. When you visit Calgary, make sure you visit Pete's Drive-In, the shakes and burgers are fantastic, but don't ask for a large fries (as they are v-large!)
He's in IT. Along with the rest of the universe, or so it seems!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonfiction View Post

I think I could write a novel on the pros and cons of the city. Like anywhere though, it's not for everyone. Some things will frustrate you as they'll seem so alien and backwards, other things will blow your mind. The important thing is to have an open, positive mindset wherever you go and be ready to adapt. Try new stuff and do as the Romans do and all that.
D'you know, that should be a strapline on all expat websites

In fifteen years of marriage we've experienced everything from city life to life on a Scottish island with varations inbetween. What we learned is that it takes 18 months or more to feel settled somewhere, and people are pretty much the same everywhere, underneath.