Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton V Halifax (cant decide)

Edmonton V Halifax (cant decide)

Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Edmonton V Halifax (cant decide)

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
The size was also a put off for us about Halifax. Is it really that much smaller than Edinburgh?
Population wise it is a fair bit smaller, edinburgh is (i believe) approx 450,000, HRM was last recorded at approx 350,000, although in both cases these numbers swell in the summer months from tourists etc.

Shops are open in Sundays
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my partner will be moving to Canada around May 2009 to check it out after we have been to New Zealand. We have narrowed our preferred choice between Edmonton and Halifax. However we are undecided of which one would be the better choice.

Could anyone give us some information which might help us decide. Down below is a list of what we want and don't want out of a city.

Don't:

Not too windy: I can't stand it when it's windy neither can my partner. If anyone has been to Edinburgh you'd understand why!

Crime: High crime rate is a no no, although if everything else fitted into our desires I wouldn't mind so much considering I lived in London for years.

Graffiti: So long as it is not plastered everywhere we don't mind so much.

Skyscraper delight: I personally don't like sky scrapers but my partner doesn't mind. So the less the better

Wants:

-Nice cafe's: comfortable ones, not the plastic seating type you get all the time. One's with lovely sofa's and a relaxing atmosphere.

-Nice architecture: I know nothing will compare to Edinburgh but it has to be NON industrial.

- Affordable housing: although by the time we move a lot will change.

- Greenery: Plenty parks and greenery. We love Adelaide for that, there are so many parks and trees here it's great. We like walking so parks etc are important, we don't want to walk around and just see sky scrappers.

-Relaxing city - nothing like London where everyone is running about and banging into you.

- Friendly people with a good attitude.

- Nice pubs: Ones that have sofa's and comfortable seating and a relaxed atmosphere - not your old mans pub or yob (if that's the correct word usage) style loud ones.

- Good job opportunities in the community sector (Occupational Therapist and Community Educator; Youth Work etc). Hard to answer I know but someone may have an idea.

- Shopping: Like a typical women my partner loves her shopping. I couldn't care less.
Now that you have heard all the evidence. Do you really think that either Edmonton or Halifax are going to have the charms of Edinburgh? Be sensible and look elsewhere.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
You and your partner hate the wind so why are you going to Canada???
Edinburgh is far far far windier than Halifax.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:38 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh is far far far windier than Halifax.
In that case it comes up trumps in that respect. Keep searching and you will probably unravel a lot of other things, that will help you decide where you are going to move to. Also most people that live their seem to like it a lot anyway.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:56 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You and your partner hate the wind so why are you going to Canada??? Why do you think its so cold in winter, because its the artic wind that blows in making it cold. Go to BC because its protected by the rockies and you won`t be blown away so much.
You clearly know as much about meteorology as you do about statistics. SFA.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:16 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You clearly know as much about meteorology as you do about statistics. SFA.
Would have thought that Canada and parts of north USA along with Northern Europe etc gets much of its cold from the artic, whereas central world locations derive much of their heat from their proximity to the equator. I am sure though, you can get your hands on some stats to support your meteorolgy case.

By the way these meteor thingys are always dropping down in Peru and the locals believe they are green men from far far far away.

But please Novocastrian do everyone a favor and don`t turn this thing into another CRIME RATES thread. Someone open the door and let me out ah......... The little green men are after me.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Would have thought that Canada and parts of north USA along with Northern Europe etc gets much of its cold from the artic, whereas central world locations derive much of their heat from their proximity to the equator.
But what has that got to do with the occurrence of high winds?

But please Novocastrian do everyone a favor and don`t turn this thing into another CRIME RATES thread. Someone open the door and let me out ah......... The little green men are after me.
Sorry for the cross thread reference, but in both instances you were pontificating about things which you clearly don't understand. If this appearance is a only result of imperfect english, then I apologize for drawing attention to it.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:20 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

But what has that got to do with the occurrence of high winds?

Sorry for the cross thread reference, but in both instances you were pontificating about things which you clearly don't understand. If this appearance is a only result of imperfect english, then I apologize for drawing attention to it.
Never said it had anything to do with high winds. Its just an observation something quite typical on forums. Where I live, at times there are terrible high winds so don`t want Jay jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Apology accepted and you know something you really are as they say in the UK a great old stick. One of the few understanding people on this forum.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Sep 11th 2008 at 9:22 am.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:17 pm
Born again atheist

...and you know something you really are as they say in the UK a great old stick.

I think you'll find that very few people outside of the books by P.G. Wodehouse and/or Captain W.E. Johns actually would say that.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:22 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I think you'll find that very few people outside of the books by P.G. Wodehouse and/or Captain W.E. Johns actually would say that.
You knowsomething I first started to learn English reading Biggles books so that explains that. Maybe I should call you a good old bean. Is that better?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd steer clear of "old fruit".
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:14 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd steer clear of "old fruit".
Used to call people old sticks and old beans in the UK and used to get some strange looks from them. I`ll make sure not to call anybody an old fruit though as I may well get some unwelcome attention from them
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:07 pm
Born again atheist

Used to call people old sticks and old beans in the UK and used to get some strange looks from them. I`ll make sure not to call anybody an old fruit though as I may well get some unwelcome attention from them
Yes, I'd advise caution in the old fruit and bean departments.

On the other hand, I consider "Wey, he's a canny bugga, y'knaa", to be a well-turned compliment, so what would I know?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:17 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Yes, I'd advise caution in the old fruit and bean departments.

On the other hand, I consider "Wey, he's a canny bugga, y'knaa", to be a well-turned compliment, so what would I know?
Called an Irish guy near where I work a today "a bugga" and in return he called me a cheeky git!!!!!!!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Any chance of keeping on the topic. I don't think anyone has a clue what you two are rambling on about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.