Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton!! Opinions, thoughts, any other knowledge???

Edmonton!! Opinions, thoughts, any other knowledge???

Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

louisey66 will become famous soon enough
Default Edmonton!! Opinions, thoughts, any other knowledge???

Hi all,

We have been offered work in Edmonton, I do not have a clue about the place, this is my first stop!!

??????

Thanku

Louise n John x
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton!! Opinions, thoughts, any other knowledge???

Have a look through these as there have been many interesting discussions about Edmonton.

Search Edmonton
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Have a look through these as there have been many interesting discussions about Edmonton.

Search Edmonton
You can't link search results.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanku, tried it but you cant, so what is interesting??
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You can't link search results.
Oh, it came up in the preview.

Ah well, then just search thread titles for Edmonton as there are many interesting discussions about the city.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by louisey66
Thanku, tried it but you cant, so what is interesting??
Some think its okay apart from the weather, others think its a complete shit hole.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Some think its okay apart from the weather, others think its a complete shit hole.
You could say that about almost any city anywhere.

It's always different strokes for different folks.

I lived in Edmonton when I first came to Canada, my wife was born there. I always thought it was a pretty nice place. We left in the early 70's when we got transferred to Calgary. We prefer Calgary but if we had been transferred back to Edmonton at some point we would have happily made a life there.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Steve,

just loads of work there for the OH plus looks like there are a lot more nursing jobs than in Toronto (which is another option) and Vancouver is where we will be for a while which is the other option again...

Ill have a look at that thanks oink
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:20 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest anywhere can be crap and anywhere can be great. I think it's how you as a person decide to live is what I think really matters.

Its not easy living here at the start with no friends etc. Getting out and getting involved is important and I've managed it in Edmonton.

Would I miss edmonton if I ever have to leave...... No but the friends I've made here are really good true friends. Canadian ones and English ones.

It all depends on how you like to live investing in getting out there and meeting people, at work, neighbours, social gathering is the overall success on life in Canada anywhere.

In my opinion of course
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Edmonton is like moving to Hartlepool. Both places are dumps. At least Hartlepool is by the seaside.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Really depends on what you're looking for. Whatever mental image you have of Canada right now, Edmonton is unlikely to meet that image. We lived there for three years but just moved to Halifax, NS a couple of weeks ago.

We liked Edmonton, but are glad we've moved. We personally didnt have much of a problem with the notorious winters, and the summers are nice. As a big city, it has everything you'd want and expect. There's not a lot of bad things I can say about the place, except that it just wasnt for us. We always saw it as a means to an end- ie. the work situation in Edmonton (and all of Alberta at the time) was simply a way to move to Canada, and would allow us to move on once we were able.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Fwiw, I've lived in Edmonton for over ten years in rental accommodations and in my own house, on the north side and on the south side (the N Sask River divides the city into these areas and Edmontonians often shop and play on the "side" where they live).

If one is looking to replicate one's previous existence in a small village or a very large city, one would experience tremendous culture shock for quite a while in Edmonton. For example, someone wanting to replicate life in a smaller city would be stunned by the traffic jams and the length of time required to get to/from work for "9-5" jobs and thrilled at the level of public transit available; someone expecting life to continue as in a very large city wold be stunned by the lower volume of traffic and the equally lower level of public transit service.

Three hints to get on quickly in Edmonton:
1. Intense dislike and distrust of all things Calgary. I don't know why. That's just how it is.
2. Vote for the same political party for many years past that party's expiry date then, very suddenly and without warning, vote in a new political party and allow them to exceed their expiry date. I don't know why. That's just how it is.
3. Wait for the Edmontonian to complain about the weather/road conditions/those d*** eastern b******s, then raise one eyebrow sagely and offer to meet for a beer. I don't know why. That's just how it is.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 5:47 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

For some general info on Edmonton, check out the wiki link in the blue bar above (or just click on this: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Edmonton)

We're in Calgary too, and I've only been to Edmonton a few times, but I think I prefer Calgary ... maybe it's just the devil you know.....?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:56 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I may not be Edmonton's biggest Fan
I certainly don't like going there in Winter

But IMHO

Edmonton with Work > Any city without work

You may find after a couple of years (maybe even one) you don't like the winters, but at least with a Job you have the finances to make changes..

To steal Ianks line... you can't eat scenery
Old Jul 17th 2011, 5:11 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
To be honest anywhere can be crap and anywhere can be great. I think it's how you as a person decide to live is what I think really matters.

Its not easy living here at the start with no friends etc. Getting out and getting involved is important and I've managed it in Edmonton.

Would I miss edmonton if I ever have to leave...... No but the friends I've made here are really good true friends. Canadian ones and English ones.

It all depends on how you like to live investing in getting out there and meeting people, at work, neighbours, social gathering is the overall success on life in Canada anywhere.

In my opinion of course
Kinda agree, it depends what matters to you.

I'm shallow and my physical surroundings matter to me...hence I would not choose to live in Edmonton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.