in edmonton and need car insurance

Wikiposts

in edmonton and need car insurance

Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

morganb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default in edmonton and need car insurance

hi

i just landed in edmonton over two weeks ago from the uk.im looking to buy a car and need insurance. i know its very expensive. im just wondering if anybody knows of any companies that deal with immigrants and maybe give us a bit of a break on the cost. or if anybody has any tips. any help would be great.

thanks morgan
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: in edmonton and need car insurance

We will be flying out Sept 7th for good. I have been in touch with a dodge dealer in St Albert. He put me in touch with someone in Johnsons who gave me an approx full cover of a $27000 dodge journey of $1500.

However, like someone else posted on a different thread, shop around.

Did you bring a letter from your insurance stating number of no claim years ?

JET
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:11 pm
MRW
Just Joined

MRW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I used a broker in Edmonton called Izmirli insurance,the guy there got me a good deal with Peace Hills insurance, you will need your proof of no claims and also a copy of your UK driving license to show if you have any endorsements
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

SamMorgan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Try http://www.relocatecanada.com[/URL] if you fill out their form saying how urgent & where you are they'll give you a load of suggestion of companies to try.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:13 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by morganb
hi

i just landed in edmonton over two weeks ago from the uk.im looking to buy a car and need insurance. i know its very expensive. im just wondering if anybody knows of any companies that deal with immigrants and maybe give us a bit of a break on the cost. or if anybody has any tips. any help would be great.

thanks morgan
Welcome to Edmonton. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Personally, I'd go with the Johnsons recommendation.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:52 am
Just Joined

DJNG is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

thanks morgan
We went to the Cooperators when we arrived and they gave us good discount and they accepted the UK no claims bonus we brought with us and have found them pretty competative especially if you have other insurance e.g home with them too. Welcome to Edmonton, where have you settled? We are about 40k west near Stony Plain.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

hi

thanks morgan
Try Canadian Direct. They accepted UK driving history with no claims and gave us the full credit on their system (Grid Step I think they called it).

Comprehensive with low excess on a 3 year old Odyssey came to $1000 pa. I used to insure two cars in the UK for that amount of money but for here I think thats as good as you'll get.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DJNG
We went to the Cooperators when we arrived and they gave us good discount and they accepted the UK no claims bonus we brought with us and have found them pretty competative especially if you have other insurance e.g home with them too. Welcome to Edmonton, where have you settled? We are about 40k west near Stony Plain.

hi i am actually staying in westview trailer park on winterburn road. the company put us up here till we find a place. thats why getting a car is priority so i can go and search for an apartment. a guy i am working with moves into stonyplain this sunday. i have so much to do. its crazy. but im enjoying it
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:23 pm
MRW
Just Joined

MRW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi morganb
try Kijiji for used cars,have just been through finding a place and car,schools for the kids
We moved to Stony Plain in May,really nice ,and got good schooling,
we found a really nice rental here after looking t alot of dumps for the same price in Edmonton,if theres anything i can help you with send me a message and i wil do my best to help
Martin
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

hi

thanks morgan
Try this - www.kanetix.ca it's not bad for getting a rough idea, but your being new will get outrageous numbers - so definitely get that proof of no claims etc. Click on "CAR" insurance tab and away you go (you'll need a post code - found this one on the 'net for Edmonton - it will do for this purpose T5A 0A7)

I just ran my details as if I was new to Canada (everything else the same - address/vehicles etc) and was quoted $12,246!!! (and I'm old and 'clean'...lol)

It is reasonably accurate. I'm helping a young lad new to the province and he has a huge dilemma - they're quoting him between $7,000 and $8,000 which is commensurate with brokers/companies we've tried so far, poor kid

I actually pay $2,200, and I'm minus 15 on the Alberta grid system, which is the best you can be

For more information on the grid and how it works: http://www.airb.alberta.ca/gridrate/airbgridinfo.aspx

See also: http://www.airb.alberta.ca/gridrate/AirbGrid1.aspx

Hope that helps a bit

Last edited by Calgal; Aug 13th 2010 at 6:56 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jericho
Welcome to Edmonton. Any questions, feel free to ask.
Personally, I'd go with the Johnsons recommendation.
hi can anybody tell me what a drivers extract or abstract is? insurance company is asking for it. i am led to believe that its for driving convictions. but the paper part of your uk lisence proves that

thanx
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

hi can anybody tell me what a drivers extract or abstract is? insurance company is asking for it. i am led to believe that its for driving convictions. but the paper part of your uk lisence proves that

thanx
Hi Morgan,

not sure if it's just a Canadian thing, but I'm guessing it is. Here, licence holders can go to a registry and order a drivers abstract. It gives the history of demerit points/infractions etc to aid the insurance companies in calculating their risk.

Usually, they (the insurer) will pull your abstract themselves, but they can only legally do so within province for residents. Even if you're Canadian but moved from another province, they can't get it, you have to order it from your home province yourself and pass it along to them.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Ahhh - this thread seems to have the answers:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510441 Be sure to read the entire thread.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Calgal
Ahhh - this thread seems to have the answers:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510441 Be sure to read the entire thread.
hi calgal thanx for thread but if you read it , it really doesnt answer the question because people are stiil not sure, and that must be down to the dvla info.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

someone from Johnson's gave me an approx quote of $1500 fully comp for new dodge journey at $27000 value. I supplied her with the details she required, The dodge dealer in st albert sorted her out for me.

Don't know if they get discounts ?

Seems to be quite a difference.

JET

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.