Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edmonton Housing Rental Just Too Expensive

Edmonton Housing Rental Just Too Expensive

Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edmonton Housing Rental Just Too Expensive

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
So, if it gives you a social lift isnt that a non financial benefit? Not that Im really sure what you mean by that?
I mean that money buys social status in Canada. It buys a place in a trouble free neighbourhood and it buys the ability to think the country doesn't have the same social problems one could not avoid at home. However, that only works if houses are cheaper here, it's like moving from Kings Cross to Virginia Water. If houses are the same price then it's like moving from King's Cross to Glasgow; out of the frying pan.

Anyway, Im sure you knew what I meant and are just playing to the gallery with tales of virulent hookers.
I'm not especially playing to the gallery. It wears me down that the streets are littered with bums and that people both threaten and proposition me every day. The relative lack of homeless beggars and the unthreatening demeanor of those that do exist is something I love about London.

Are you telling me its like that around your new place? Of course not.
No. There's nothing out there.

Sure, you go to the rough parts and its in plain view, but by and large if you dont want to experience it, then you dont have too.

In most of canada the incidence of petty crime and trivial nuiscance behaviour is far far lower then most of the UK, and the areas where it can be found far further away.
Yonge Street, just above Sam the Record Man, is a major thoroughfare. It's not especially a rough part you have to make a major journey to find. It features Covenant House, a home for disaffected youth and the Evergreen Youth Centre. The crowds hooking and selling drugs outside these premises are, I think, examples of trivial nuiscance behaviour and they're absolutely in plain view.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
If housing isn't cheap relative to salary then one has to wonder why people would want to move to Canada. I thought that cheap housing was the main draw. If you're going to have a large mortgage anyway you may as well be in Reading as Edmonton; at least you'd have weather, culture, history and family.
dbd, when we came here in the early 80s house prices in Alberta were even then twice as much as the majority of prices in the UK- London always the exception. But we came for the decent jobs- salaries then were 4 times the UK salaries. Now the salaries in both countries are about the same and UK house prices are incredible.
Reading for IT people would be better than Edmonton - at least the residents aren't going to get frost nips and bites on a regular basis.

Ian- you are probably right about the salaries but the point is what they can afford is not in nice places
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Or simply decide not live in one of the major cities.
More genteel certainly. More civil. Dunno about the standard of living achievable without a wodge of cash though.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Liana
dbd, when we came here in the early 80s house prices in Alberta were even then twice as much as the majority of prices in the UK- London always the exception. But we came for the decent jobs- salaries then were 4 times the UK salaries. Now the salaries in both countries are about the same and UK house prices are incredible.
Ah, yes, I do tend to forget that UK and London are not synonymous. Houses in Toronto in the early eighties cost the same in dollars as London ones did in pounds.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:09 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

More genteel certainly. More civil. Dunno about the standard of living achievable without a wodge of cash though.
I have no wodge of cash, and never did I seem to like it here and live in comfort to a reasonable standard...not like you city slickers with your horses and european convertibles of course, but comfortable enough.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, yes, I do tend to forget that UK and London are not synonymous. Houses in Toronto in the early eighties cost the same in dollars as London ones did in pounds.

You also tend to forget that your reality is not necessarily everyone else's reality or anyone else's reality for that matter.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

not like you city slickers with your horses and european convertibles of course, but comfortable enough.

My! The noddy/faggot car elevated to "European convertible". Fancy that.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:21 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

I mean that money buys social status in Canada. It buys a place in a trouble free neighbourhood and it buys the ability to think the country doesn't have the same social problems one could not avoid at home.
You can buy a house (of sorts) in my trouble free neighbourhood for less than $100k and you will still be invited to the neighbourhood golf day and the Church Eucre? It takes a lot less money to avoid the sort of antisocial troubled neighbourhoods here, and the bad neighbourhoods in canada are harder to find in the first place.
However, that only works if houses are cheaper here, it's like moving from Kings Cross to Virginia Water. If houses are the same price then it's like moving from King's Cross to Glasgow; out of the frying pan.

<snip>

Yonge Street, just above Sam the Record Man, is a major thoroughfare. It's not especially a rough part you have to make a major journey to find. It features Covenant House, a home for disaffected youth and the Evergreen Youth Centre. The crowds hooking and selling drugs outside these premises are, I think, examples of trivial nuiscance behaviour and they're absolutely in plain view.
In a downtown, largely non residential neighbourhood, around what is bound to be a magnet for the down and out. Its hardly the same as the residential ex council estates of every town in the UK. Yes there are bums and hookers, every city has them. They are not swept under the rug here. But I dont think its fair to compare the desperate behaviour of addicts and the homeless with the behaviour of the non substance dependent part of UK society that chooses not to work, to claim benefits and to rob and steal to buy the latest Burberry handbag and then get shitfaced on tins of purple and then throw up on your car, if it hasnt been nicked. (I should cancel my Daily Mail subscription)

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 28th 2007 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

In a downtown, largely non residential neighbourhood, around a rather magnet for the down and out. Its hardly the same as the residential ex council estates of every town in the UK. Yes there are bums and hookers, every city has them. They are not swept under the rug here. But I dont think its fair to compare the behaviour of addicts with the behaviour of the non substance dependent part of UK society that chooses not to work, to claim benefits and to rob and steal to buy the latest Burberry handbag and then get shitfaced on tins of purple and then throw up on your car, if it hasnt been nicked. (I should cancel my Daily Mail subscription)
OK. I used to live with a Newfie. Her lesbian sister lives in rent-geared-to-income housing at Markham Rd and Lawrence in Scarborough. She lives with her son, who is mixed race, on benefit. In the construction season they rent the floor of their place to fellow Newfies who come up, work enough weeks for their stamp and then go home and live on pogie for the winter. Another sister lives in Tuxedo Court, also in Scarborough (famous for the case of the machine guns belonging to the guy who fled to Florida), her two sons make a living dealing drugs from the apartment. They don't get shitfaced on tins of purple because they drink tins of Bud, backed with rum.

Since the Newfie was the youngest of fourteen this story could get long! Where I'm going though is that these people are living in just the same manner as people in sink estates in the UK. Metro housing has thousands of units filled with such people. We don't see them because immigrants here, as in the UK, are generally hard working, reasonably affluent and eager to stay out of trouble.

By emigrating we can go from being the people in the Mail to the people who read it but we do so, in large part, because we're relatively richer.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

<wanders off to drink imported beer in barn>
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Last year I posted that my stepson was moving from Halifax, NS to Edmonton, AB to start a new IT position. He was to go out first in January, which he did, and in June his family (wife and son) were to join him.

Unfortunately, the IT company did not live up to the promised income and it is much much lower than stated. He said $75,000 but started him at $35,000. He figured it was a start and they did promise (I know) that there would be a work review in 3 months and a raise if warranted. Yes, work review was great, raise was not bad but still only brought him to $50,000.

He looked and looked but was unable to find a house for rent (wife's stepdaughters were joining them) that they could afford. So tomorrow he heads back to Nova Scotia.

Fortunately, the company is retaining him to work from home at the slightly higher salary so he will not be unemployed.

Glad that so many immigrants to AB have been fortunate enough to bring enough funds with them and to have enough work experience to garner well paying positions in AB.

I'm sorry he is having to move Rete.

I am moving up to Edmonton (from Texas) in about two weeks time and we've been looking for rental property for a while.

The company my husband is going to work for employed a relocation agent to narrow down a list of properties for us, and could not find much at all in the price range we could afford. A three or four bedroom house in a "nice area" is $2000 and up per month, she told us anything below $1700 would not be a nice area.

Apparently there is a real shortage of rental property up there at the moment.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:52 pm
Canadiain

<wanders off to drink imported beer in barn>
<Wanders off to coach little kids the beautiful game>
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

If housing isn't cheap relative to salary then one has to wonder why people would want to move to Canada. I thought that cheap housing was the main draw.
Until 2-3 years ago Canada seemed to have avoided the worst of the global housing bubble in most areas (Vancouver being an obvious exception, but land near the ocean is usually expensive). Unfortunately it's come in through the back door via the debt-driven commodity bubble.

However, with the mortgage-backed security market collapsing as the buyers realise that all those sub-prime bonds are the financial equivalent of toxic waste, I suspect that's going to come to an end shortly. If the banks can't sell on those mortgages, they're going to be far less willing to lend lots of money for overpriced houses. Without those big mortgages, there'll be far less easy money available to buy tat from China, and the demand for commodities and oil will drop.

That said, I'm wondering whether buying a house in Canada makes any sense if the world's supply of oil and gas is running out as many people claim; -40C winters might be a bit less appealing without heating.

Last edited by MarkG; Jun 28th 2007 at 11:47 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
That said, I'm wondering whether buying a house in Canada makes any sense if the world's supply of oil and gas is running out as many people claim; -40C winters might be a bit less appealing without heating.
Have no fear Mark - like I mentioned earlier - if the Doha round fails Australia could well be invited to join NAFTA. If it does you could always come and work in Aus on one of those nifty NAFTA visas........
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

<Wanders off to coach little kids the beautiful game>
I took some pictures en route. Crappy pictures from a moving car but all taken last night or this morning without deviating from the quickest route to the highway. Typical Toronto pictures, I could get much worse if I went to the city's ripped back side.

The first is the grass outside the Moss Park Armoury, men lay there in the sun drinking, injecting. My kids played hockey across the road and had early games so I know the men are there from 5:30am.

Second (ended up last in the thumbnails) Jarvis St in the afternoon, people start to gather around one of the many Salvation Army hostels.

Third, Jarvis St around 6:30am. This stick thin woman is still out there, she can't have made her quota. When the kids had swimming practise we'd get to the school around that time and, if it was raining, the hookers would be on the steps sheltering. In those days they had better teeth.

Lastly, men gathering around the Friendship Centre at about 6:30am. I guess there's free breakfast inside.

I think country life is turning me into Travis Bickle. Still, my point is that this city has a huge population of people on welfare and/or living in some form of state funded housing, many of whom beg on the streets and/or commit crimes for a living. We immigrants are mainly above dealing with such people because we have more money, much of which derives from the difference in housing values between the UK and Canada. If the values were the same UK immigrants would have the same status in society as at home and there'd be no point in emigrating.
Attached Thumbnails Edmonton Housing Rental Just Too Expensive-picture-547.jpg   Edmonton Housing Rental Just Too Expensive-picture-570.jpg   Edmonton Housing Rental Just Too Expensive-picture-571.jpg   Edmonton Housing Rental Just Too Expensive-picture-548.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.