Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

edmonton - anything 'natural' doable within a day?

edmonton - anything 'natural' doable within a day?

Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about
Default edmonton - anything 'natural' doable within a day?

i've got an on-site interview in 10 days time in Edmonton - due to flights & hotel stuff - i'll have an extra full day for doing stuff (have allocated 1 days to looking and another to missus wanting shopping etc) but we want to go and see somewhere ie mountains, parks etc - is there anything within a few hours driving ie 1 to 2 hours each way - been told rockies are 4 hours each way...

also anyone recommend car hire in edmonton?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:35 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: edmonton - anything 'natural' doable within a day?

Originally Posted by stubby1974
i've got an on-site interview in 10 days time in Edmonton - due to flights & hotel stuff - i'll have an extra full day for doing stuff (have allocated 1 days to looking and another to missus wanting shopping etc) but we want to go and see somewhere ie mountains, parks etc - is there anything within a few hours driving ie 1 to 2 hours each way - been told rockies are 4 hours each way...

Well try looking around the place and Try looking at home's in the area of the "On Site" meet with a local realtor etc
Plenty of time to sightsee when your living here.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived we used the airport shuttle to get to our hotel, then we hired a car from Thrifty for the week! (cost $300) that was for a Vibe, which we liked very much.
Where are you staying?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

maplejuner is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets see...Jasper is 31/2 hrs away and I have done it many times in one day..
But I agree...you will have plenty of time for that when you are there...check out local spots ie: Muttart conservatory for a taste of summer in January, of course you could take a day at West Edmonton Mall...take your bathing suits!..or go to the museum...Art gallery etc...
Whatever you do...enjoy your day!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:20 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Hi
The Rockies are indeed 4 hours drive, a long long day trip.!
Elk Island National Park is not far, but not sure wether open or not. Any one else know???
The River Valley in Edm itself is nice with loads of trails all over the place and there are lots of parks to stroll around. Hawrelak Park is nice.
A nice walk through Whitemud Creek is lovely. Linda P lives near the river valley so maybe she can advise better than I can.
Just to let you know, there isn't much in the way of snow here, just a thin covering on the ground, and not that cold either. Only -2 today and its been beautiful blue skies.
Enjoy Edmonton and Good Luck with the interview.
Plenty of car hire co's at the airport.
Hub has used one in the city aswell.....Enterprise , who pick up and drop off too.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Hi
The Rockies are indeed 4 hours drive, a long long day trip.!
Elk Island National Park is not far, but not sure wether open or not. Any one else know???
The River Valley in Edm itself is nice with loads of trails all over the place and there are lots of parks to stroll around. Hawrelak Park is nice.
A nice walk through Whitemud Creek is lovely. Linda P lives near the river valley so maybe she can advise better than I can.
Just to let you know, there isn't much in the way of snow here, just a thin covering on the ground, and not that cold either. Only -2 today and its been beautiful blue skies.
Enjoy Edmonton and Good Luck with the interview.
Plenty of car hire co's at the airport.
Hub has used one in the city aswell.....Enterprise , who pick up and drop off too.

Elk Island is open. This is one of our favourite places, when we were there in November we saw a pack of coyote's, they were calling to each other, it was very special!!! The lakes are frozen over and look beautiful. There are Bison and if your lucky you'll see a Moose.
I think it's about $10 per day (we have a yearly pass)
As R2D2 has said Hawrelak park is very nice!!!
If you are staying down town there is Victoria park which is nice and close.
It does depend on where you will be staying?

Linda P
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:06 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda P
Elk Island is open. This is one of our favourite places, when we were there in November we saw a pack of coyote's, they were calling to each other, it was very special!!! The lakes are frozen over and look beautiful. There are Bison and if your lucky you'll see a Moose.
I think it's about $10 per day (we have a yearly pass)
As R2D2 has said Hawrelak park is very nice!!!
If you are staying down town there is Victoria park which is nice and close.
It does depend on where you will be staying?

Linda P
In Elk Island we've seen Porquopine ?? (apologies if mis-spelt), Bison, up close and personal, and we think a coyote in the grasses, but too distant to know for sure. Lovely place, quite wildernessy.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R2D2
In Elk Island we've seen Porquopine ?? (apologies if mis-spelt), Bison, up close and personal, and we think a coyote in the grasses, but too distant to know for sure. Lovely place, quite wildernessy.

We have been there a few times now, I want to see a moose!!! We were in the Rockies for 6 days in July and failed to spot one, we saw lots of other wildlife Elk, even a Bear, but no Moose
We even went to Calgary Zoo, I assured the children that we would see one there!!! no, it was after a flood and Mr Moosy had gone on his holidays!!! Bloody typical!!!

Linda
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:32 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by Linda P
We have been there a few times now, I want to see a moose!!! We were in the Rockies for 6 days in July and failed to spot one, we saw lots of other wildlife Elk, even a Bear, but no Moose
We even went to Calgary Zoo, I assured the children that we would see one there!!! no, it was after a flood and Mr Moosy had gone on his holidays!!! Bloody typical!!!

Linda
I lurvvvve Moose, they are so cute. I guess we have been quite fortunate as we've seen them on a couple of occasions in the mountains and they had one at Calgary Zoo when we last went. We saw a bear the very first time we came to Canada back in 2002, but on the 5 occasions we have been to the Mountains since we've lived here, have yet to see even one. Got your pm by the way, thanks and I'll reply soon, once got the ankle biters off to bed .
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:12 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing you may want to consider doing is just plain old (though imo, mind-blowingly amazing) star gazing. One clear night, just drive out of the city limits, away from all the lights and look up. That is one thing I really miss about living in Canada; I can't see the night sky where I am in the UK like I can where I've lived in Canada. The difference, in my experience, is substantial. And if you're lucky maybe you'll see some northern lights. There is an aurora forecast here: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/predict.cgi - you can adjust the map to see the forecast in northern Alberta. Have fun.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what to see but would be very interested to hear your flying details as my wife and I are heading out to Edmonton in about 6 weeks time and we are struggling to get flights outside London (we are in Scotland)
Stu
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

thanks everyone....

we've got half a day to look at some rentals and then got the mall for a day as it is, then a hockey match ... we're staying in the Coast Terrace Inn which is fine... we'd just like to see some of the countryside for a day

flights - the company are paying but the only ones we could find are london... although friends of ours are flying soon and they fly from edinburgh to lodnond stayed ina hotel and then flew to canada... others fly to amsterdam and ouyt that way with klm... someone has suggested for us to fly to chicago and then on to canda from there
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:59 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

we've got half a day to look at some rentals and then got the mall for a day as it is, then a hockey match ... we're staying in the Coast Terrace Inn which is fine... we'd just like to see some of the countryside for a day
Would it be possible to head out to Jasper one afternoon, overnight there, and then return to Edmonton the next morning (getting into Edmonton around lunch time)? Could half of the day at the mall be traded? But I guess that's easy for me to suggest. Malls don't float my boat (not even WEM).