British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Edmonton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/edmonton-853993/)

Notts Mar 6th 2015 6:25 pm

Edmonton

Hi all,
I have been offered a job in Edmonton, Alberta. We're planning a trip soon to check it out but would like to hear from those on ground what living Edmonton is really like particularly the weather. How long are the winters and how warm does summer get? Any tips on good areas to live would also be appreciated.

Jericho79 Mar 6th 2015 6:35 pm

Re: Edmonton

Originally Posted by Notts (Post 11585138)
Hi all,
I have been offered a job in Edmonton, Alberta. We're planning a trip soon to check it out but would like to hear from those on ground what living Edmonton is really like particularly the weather. How long are the winters and how warm does summer get? Any tips on good areas to live would also be appreciated.

Summers start middle/end of June and can last until mid September. I've seen snow and also 30 degress in October. Summers are warm and dry, with the occasional impressive thunder storms. Temps will average in the high 20's, and but low/mid 30's arent uncommon. It's very dry in Edmonton, so not much rain.

Winter will usually kick in properly in December, and you'll have snow on the ground permanently until April. This year has been a bit of an anomaly, as Albertas winter has been unusually mild. Edmonton winters are usually very cold, with very little respite, and I've seen -30 last for weeks.

Edmonton is a decent enough city, although a little too isolated for me personally. The mountains are far enough away to make it a real pain in the arse to get there. There is no scenery to speak of. It's very flat, with nothing to see in any direction.

It does however have a thriving expat community, so you should find it easy to make friends, wherever you decide to live in the city.

Good areas to live- Sherwood Park and St Albert are suburbs on the outskirts of the city, but are nice areas. South Edmonton is nice also.

scootb Mar 7th 2015 1:12 am

A lot of people on here trash Edmonton,but I like it.
Like Jericho says this winter has been great.
It's a pretty sprawled out city which is why I like it compared to crammed UK cities.
I live on the south of the city and enjoy it,it's handy for schools and my work.
The Rockies are about 3 1/2 hours drive west,Elk island national park 45mns east,Jurassic Forrest to the north,lots of amazing scenery when you get out the city and explore the gravel and lease roads off highway 16 which I suspect most ex pats don't take the time to do.

Ontheroadoflife Mar 7th 2015 1:25 am

...you also forgot to mention the Tornados in Alberta..owing to that sprawled out flat city they seem to get hit, or in the close area..just saying...In fact I believe it had Canada's only F5 tornado in 1987.

Just remember the ruby slippers, and click 3 times :P

Jericho79 Mar 7th 2015 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife (Post 11585405)
...you also forgot to mention the Tornados in Alberta..owing to that sprawled out flat city they seem to get hit, or in the close area..just saying...In fact I believe it had Canada's only F5 tornado in 1987.

Just remember the ruby slippers, and click 3 times :P

A tornado almost 30 years ago = "they seem to get hit"?
:confused:

Ontheroadoflife Mar 7th 2015 2:32 am

One touch down last year june 29th Wainright, AB

Year before, one the Edmonton Side of Pigeon Lake...those are two I recall, and owing to the fact that most are unreported or not seen as it's farmland, I bet there was more.

I said in the close area...and i mean close area in the Canadian sense, I would rather live in Calgary than Edmonton during a hot summer lets put it that way.

He asked for drawbacks...and no offence, I would be grateful if someone told me it could happen, and they have a history round the area...indeed so does any flat part of alberta....I chase them as I have never seen one, so get the Alberta alerts, they are more common than you think..all my Canadian mates think I'm nuts but i have always wanted to see one live....never managed it yet.

But someone coming from Britain, first year here, be unfair not to say it could and did happen, just because it was "30 years ago" doesn't mean it couldn't happen again...or indeed if it ever will

cbrown89 Mar 7th 2015 3:40 am

Don't forget the mosquitos.

Soon2bCanadian Mar 7th 2015 2:37 pm

We've been here in Edmonton for a year now and love it. Obviously can't comment on historical winters but will say that this winter was (is) nowhere near as bad as I was expecting and the summer was very long and very hot.

I like Edmonton, but as someone above has said, it is very isolated and you probably won't be going to the mountains every weekend. There's plenty to do in the City and there are different festivals on most year round. The river valley is fantastic as well.

As for areas to live, I'd say the best areas (in my opinion) are in the South of the City. We live in Windermere, and would recommend that, Terwillegar, Magrath, Rutherford, Ellerslie, Summerside and mostly any other part below 23 Ave. A lot will depend on where your job is going to be, but these areas on the South give you easy access to the main trunk road in Edmonton, the Anthony Henday. If you know where your job will be located I can make some area suggestions that would be good for you to check out.

Do your reccy, hopefully you'll enjoy it and decide to come across!

wiganfem Mar 7th 2015 8:43 pm

we been here about 18mths, i love it here!! wish the Rockies were a bit closer but we cant have it all lol. Last winter was worse than this, so cant really comment on how bad it gets as not been here long enough. We were out east for two years and the winter seemed worse out there as in amounts of snow, and this year they have had it really bad.
Our daughter has settled really well here, fits in at school etc. I agree Sherwood park is lovely, but seems expensive. We live in Hermitage/Clairview area and have everything we need close by. Seems a nice enough area, no problems or hastles so far.
Like others say it all depends on what you are looking for, and where your job is based.
PM if you want any more info.

Notts Mar 7th 2015 9:27 pm

Thank you soo much for the responses so far. It helps a great deal to get an insiders view; especially as all I've read on the forum so far about Edmonton has been mostly negative. We're looking forward to the trip in April to see for ourselves.

Soon2bCanadian Mar 8th 2015 12:38 am

Good luck & enjoy!!

Aviator Mar 8th 2015 5:17 am

Originally Posted by wiganfem (Post 11585816)
wish the Rockies were a bit closer

Give it time, they will be.

Nikki Ian Mar 8th 2015 10:22 pm

We've been in St Albert, on the outskirts of Edmonton for 7 years.

No two winters are the same. First snow is usually around Halloween but last year we had snow in Sept. We're expecting high temps next weekend, but don't let that fool you as we can see snow well into May.

Summers are fantastic apart from the Mosquitos.

There's a FB page called British Expats in Edmonton which is worth checking out.

Everyone tends to like where they live. The area you choose will depend on your personal needs like family, schools, commute etc.

Good luck