Lakes v ocean

Old Mar 7th 2015, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lakes v ocean

Just been thinking about this
I've always lived near the sea although at times Belfast lough where you can see the other side. I've lived with views of the Atlantic Ocean and I do like islands. Went through a stage of bagging certain Scottish Islands before kids made that a not fun holiday option
We are hoping to emigrate next year and the two main options are Vancouver Island or Okanagan. In many ways the job in Okanagan sounds better but I just wonder if I would feel hemmed in by not being near the sea or will big lakes be enough.
Just interested in what other people have found
Old Mar 7th 2015, 8:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lakes v ocean

I would go where the work is. We walk along the beach but swim in the lake. I don't imagine either are much comfort if you're lying awake at night worrying about how to pay the mortgage.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Only lake I found that was suitable replacement was Lake Ontario, doubt there are any lakes in BC that can replace the ocean for ocean lovers.

I am happiest near the coast and one reason why I tend to stay within a close distance of the coast, just not comfortable being so far from the ocean.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 8:32 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived by the sea, outside St Andrews and on the North Norfolk coast and we loved it- the scene forever changes and after we left, there have since been humpback whale sightings of the North Norfolk coast.. bloody typical!
Now we are four - five hours from the coast but have the lakes- still love it- scene changes but not obviously in a tidal way and less dramatic storms but still I never get bored. I do love a trip to the ocean once in a while though
Old Mar 7th 2015, 8:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

This may help your decisions making process
B.C. megathrust earthquake will rip earth open like a zipper, expert says - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Mar 7th 2015, 9:37 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I've mostly lived by the sea and Coastline in South Wales, and felt landlocked when I moved to Nottingham. We now live in the "Lake District" in Ontario and I can honestly say I don't miss the sea much. The lakes are soooooo big here and in many ways better, freshwater and shallow for so much of it making it perfect for children... We can also get afford a boat here which we would never have been able to in the UK so summer holds the promise of water skiing and tubing and boating to restaurants etc...
Old Mar 7th 2015, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up on the west coast of Scotland,kayaking in the lochs and the sea,I do kind of miss seals stealing fish off my fishing line,and seeing them bob about while kayaking,even had a porpoise circling us once off the Largs shoreline.
I can handle being away from it though,and don't consider it to be a deal breaker.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty landlocked where I live, but heading out to any lake is good enough most days. We did Van Island last summer which was first time to a proper coastline in a long time, and there's nothing that quite equals a good beach walk. The sounds, the smells, the moods of the weather.

But I agree with rivingtonpike - a better job will make you feel better, pay the bills, and hopefully enable you to have some spare cash to head out to the West Coast every now and again. It's not like it's that far (in Canadian terms ) from the Okanagan to Vancouver. From there you can head north or south or out to the Island and get your fix.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

galaxyandminstrels is an unknown quantity at this point

We are having the same thoughts now as we live on the coast here in Nova Scotia but are considering a move to BC, our choices too are Okanagan and Vancouver Island. I have concerns about being inland too as I love living on the coast. I am told the lakes in the Okanagan are so much larger than what the UK has so maybe the lakes will be enough. We are planning to visit in the Summer so hopefully a visit will help with decisions. Are you planning a visit yourselves?
Old Mar 7th 2015, 11:19 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Okanagan Lake is 90 miles long, should be plenty big enough for you!
Old Mar 7th 2015, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Only lake I found that was suitable replacement was Lake Ontario, doubt there are any lakes in BC that can replace the ocean for ocean lovers.

I am happiest near the coast and one reason why I tend to stay within a close distance of the coast, just not comfortable being so far from the ocean.
We lived by a river when we lived in the UK and loved it. Every day there was something different to see. We would love a place by the sea...either in a warm US state or in the UK. We live right by Lake Ontario...the views from our windows are spectacular.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 12:30 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

There are snakes in the lakes
Old Mar 8th 2015, 12:46 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by bats
Huh?? There is the Ogopogo monster in lake Okanagan - often seen after a skinful of beer
Old Mar 8th 2015, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Snakes in some parts of the ocean too and deadly one's at that.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

and then there's Caddy (Cadborosaurus) in Cadboro Bay, Vancouver Island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.