British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Edmonton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/edmonton-769999/)

Roxy_w Aug 30th 2012 11:42 am

Edmonton

Hi, my partner has been offered a job in Edmonton, he would be on $30 an hour but there is plenty of overtime we have been told, $1200 a week minimum befor any taxes

Would that be ok to support a family of four? Is Edmonton a good place to bring up a family?

My husband is 33, me 28 and we have 2 kids 6 & 4 and a British bulldog dog. We are quite comfortable in the uk but are wanting to move abroad

I would like to work but obviously the kids would come first & I'm just an admin/receptionist so not skilled.

He has also been offered western Australia, quite rural areas around the mines tho and he would be getting the equivalent of $82000 ca, minimum in the first year going up to over $100000 after that

It is so hard deciding on 2 places we have never been before, I would prefer Oz but he prefers Canada

Former Lancastrian Aug 30th 2012 11:53 am

Re: Edmonton

Why do you want to move if you are comfortable in the UK?
As with anything there are no guarantees unless you go out and by an appliance and that usually only lasts 12 months.
Have you got these offers in writing and are they legal?
Many have been burned with the promise of this and that and when they get there all is not what it seemed.
Sure it may work out but it might not. Only you can make the decision.

cheeky_monkey Aug 30th 2012 1:12 pm

You dont say why you want to move abroad when you are comfortable in the UK?

Piff Poff Aug 30th 2012 2:11 pm

I would be cautious with overtime - it's not guaranteed, if the work dries up then so does the overtime, something to consider.

alidew Aug 30th 2012 3:23 pm

there are lots of factors to consider, not just salary but also lifestyle. Massive difference between very cold Edmonton and very hot Oz. I suppose you need to draw up a list of what things you as a family are looking for and take it from there. I would base your calculations on a basic wage as others have said, overtime cannot be guaranteed.

jamie677 Aug 30th 2012 6:15 pm

We moved to Edmonton in march,employer told Hubbie there was loads of work here,but in the first few weeks he was only working 3 days a weeks because of the weather (he is a carpenter)he now works 6 days a week ,13 hrs a day but that will soon stop when the winter comes.
We only moved here for work,so if your happy in the UK I would stay there.

angelic applicant Aug 30th 2012 7:04 pm

i have a friend who moved to darwin western territories in Oz her 2 year term is up soon and shes coming straight home. the cost of living out there is huge...shes loved the experience but states its just not sustainable.

Alan2005 Aug 30th 2012 7:16 pm

It's nowhere near enough to justify a move to Canada.

angelic applicant Aug 30th 2012 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 10255576)

i agree,
there's probably more to it then the job offers, if there isnt then just look for job changes locally.id make a list of the impacts good and bad moving so far away will have on your lives. i did and that really helped....finding a job came way later.

Boy d Aug 30th 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 10255576)

i agree. Its really just an averageish wage and would offer a similar life style as an averageish wage in the UK in a typical town. One would have to be driven by other factors such as a love for Edmonton (which is whole other topic) or living in a ice box for a good chunk of the winter.

As a trip over been considered? Edmonton is ok in a mediocre nothing extraordinary kind of way....but i guess some like it.