Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Economy car rental - Mississauga

Economy car rental - Mississauga

Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Economy car rental - Mississauga

So in July we flew to Toronto airport and picked up a hire car from this rental company, driving to see our son in London.

We went on toll roads and knew there would be an additional fee charged to our credit card. They have just emailed me. The toll fee (including camera charges) is $5.10. According to their contract, they levy a $50 administration charge to handle these and my total additional bill is over $75!!

I've got to say, even before this, they were terrible. When I returned the car they tried to overcharge me and were really rude to another customer. They really seem to try anything to get more money.

Anyhow, assuming this is agreed to be unreasonable (?), any recommendations as to which body I can contact to complain if they refuse to reduce it? I know it was in the contract, but seriously, who reads all that detail - there has to be an element of trust/reasonableness.

Thanks,
BexB
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economy car rental - Mississauga

Unfortunately, if you didn't read the contract and signed it - when it stated their administration fee for using toll roads - I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You could contact them and try to negotiate a reduction, but I believe you are contractually obligated to pay it if they refuse.

Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Unfortunately, if you didn't read the contract and signed it - when it stated their administration fee for using toll roads - I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You could contact them and try to negotiate a reduction, but I believe you are contractually obligated to pay it if they refuse.

Thanks Siouxie.

Talking to a colleague, he thought $50 was standard, but here in Vancouver renters are advised where the tolls are and how to pay them so the $50 was avoided. We were certainly not told in Toronto, but given this company I'm not surprised.

Guess I'll just have to suck it up and be grateful they didn't put $1,000 in the contract.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BexB
Thanks Siouxie.

Talking to a colleague, he thought $50 was standard, but here in Vancouver renters are advised where the tolls are and how to pay them so the $50 was avoided. We were certainly not told in Toronto, but given this company I'm not surprised.

Guess I'll just have to suck it up and be grateful they didn't put $1,000 in the contract.
It's all on the 407ETR website. There is no way to pay the tolls yourself (unlike Port Mann/Golden Ears when they were tolled), so the admin fees do appear to be rather high given there is no option, although the 407 has been open for about 20 years so presumably the $50 has been tested for fairness a few times already?

I think the 'proper' car rental companies charge $15-$20 admin fee (for each rental day that a toll was charged).

But I guess nobody forced you to drive on the 407 'other non-toll roads exist'.

I wish Golden Ears and Port Mann were still tolled - the traffic in Maple Ridge is much worse now!!!!!!

Last edited by withabix; Oct 20th 2017 at 3:44 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We went on toll roads and knew there would be an additional fee charged to our credit card. They have just emailed me. The toll fee (including camera charges) is $5.10. According to their contract, they levy a $50 administration charge to handle these and my total additional bill is over $75!!
I am at a loss to why you think this makes them terrible. You signed and accepted the contract. You would have got a copy of the contract prior to going on the toll roads. Read before you sign!

Anyhow, assuming this is agreed to be unreasonable (?), any recommendations as to which body I can contact to complain if they refuse to reduce it? I know it was in the contract, but seriously, who reads all that detail - there has to be an element of trust/reasonableness.
I would never sign anything before reading it and have taught my kids to do the same. It seems you were aware, nothing was hidden. Too much blaming others in our society today and not accepting responsibility. Seems like a cheap lesson to me.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 20th 2017 at 3:43 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:07 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the others, you are going to be SOL on this one. It would have been in the contract.

It's generally known that car rental companies will charge fees for all this kind of stuff, so even if you didn't read the contract up front, knowing you were going to go on a toll road you easily could have then consulted your contract before getting on the 407. (We did this once in the US, didn't realize a road we were planning on taking was a toll road, but when we were planning the route earlier in the day we whipped out the rental contract to make sure we weren't going to be binged some crazy charge for taking the toll road.)

Call it a $50 lesson in checking these things beforehand, pay it, and move on. Sucks, but not much you can do about it.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, okay, lesson learned